News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Really real discordians

Started by Dalek, November 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

I don't mean to offend anyone on the forum, as I find you all to be fun people, but after contemplating what's happening here, I have come to a conclusion. No new, young discordians should listen to what you guys say. And I don't mean to say "you're saying bullshit". No. It's just that they should not listen to what you have to say about discordia. Atleast to me, discordia is more of a DIY worldview and I find it really weird that some noobs come here, with their ideas of discordianism and then they tune in to what you have to say. I've seen a lot of noobs who let themselves get slawolled up by the community and accept everything you guys have to say. Maybe it's the noobs. You don't go to a discordian forum to tune your way of thinking with the one of other discordians. The only point I see in logging into such a forum is to express YOUR opinion. Why the fuck do noobs get all apologetic when someone argues with them?

This is not a fucking dogmatic religion, where you have to base your worldview on someone else's. As I see it it's more about creating your own worldview.

So seriously, noobs, the guys that post here have some cool things to say, but don't fucking aggree with everythin they say, or think, just because someone insulted you in a thread. Fuck, we're just a bunch of guys on a forum, why the fuck would you even care?

PS: Since when did every single thread in PD turn into "Lets gang up on the OP for some minor detail in his post, that did not quite fit our point of view"?

The Dark Monk

I always watch for Discordians who do not believe in the code, and eliminate them accordingly. Join the fold, or be destroyed.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Salty

That's one awfully broad brush you're using there.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Jasper

We aren't dogmatic, we just treat ideas like cockfights.  And we usually have the er, best cocks.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 21, 2010, 08:56:09 PM
We aren't dogmatic, we just treat ideas like cockfights.  And we usually have the er, best cocks.

So you are cockmatic?

Jasper

Jasper

Epimetheus

Uh, the general idea is TFY,S. I see that being the lesson taught to noobs and I see no problem with that.
Listen to what is said to you but at the end of the day make your own decision. And don't expect that everyone else is making or should be making the same decision.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 21, 2010, 09:02:05 PM
No, I'm Sigmatic.

does that mean you don't follow the dogma, but the sigma?

... where sigma is the deviation from the norm? :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 21, 2010, 09:29:32 PM
No, I'm Sigmatic.

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Triple Zero

Quote from: Dalekk on November 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM
It's just that they should not listen to what you have to say about discordia.

we try to tell em that, honest.

sometimes we use the reverse psychology, though.

sometimes we get a bit caught up in that, even.

sometimes we're just stubborn.

sometimes we're just disagreeable cunts.

and in a few cases it's just because we're plain damn righteous.

QuoteI've seen a lot of noobs who let themselves get slawolled up by the community and accept everything you guys have to say. Maybe it's the noobs. You don't go to a discordian forum to tune your way of thinking with the one of other discordians. The only point I see in logging into such a forum is to express YOUR opinion. Why the fuck do noobs get all apologetic when someone argues with them?

noobs come in all kinds and flavours. some swallow everything we gotta say. some of those later on develop their own ideas. some come with brilliant new ideas. some are just quiet. some are really loud.

The ones that get really apologetic, might be a slightly different breed though. one of the big ideas on this forum is that people should be capable of admitting when they're wrong, and know when to let go.

I'm not saying that this is a required thing in Discordia (although it's quite important in my version of Discordia as well), remember we're just one Discordian forum. Not THE Discordian forum. And this particular trait is really quite hard to keep going against in this particular community.

See, the thing is, we're Discordians. But this place is also a community. And even though we're Discordians, that does not make us immune to the social dynamics of communities. We can't and don't wanna. A community means that certain kind of behaviour is going to make it real hard to "fit in". And because we're Discordians, in the spirit of Discord, that can get a littlebit ugly. Although it's usually just words.

QuoteSo seriously, noobs, the guys that post here have some cool things to say, but don't fucking aggree with everythin they say, or think, just because someone insulted you in a thread. Fuck, we're just a bunch of guys on a forum, why the fuck would you even care?

Is there any specific incident you're thinking of here? Cause as far as I've seen, it's hardly ever the insults that make somebody more agreeable to another point of view.

QuoteSince when did every single thread in PD turn into "Lets gang up on the OP for some minor detail in his post, that did not quite fit our point of view"?

That's been that way for quite as long as I can remember actually. But not all the time. This forum has a "mood" and it comes and goes in waves.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 21, 2010, 09:29:32 PM
No, I'm Sigmatic.

You're the first person to guess that!

Herbertina Merrique V

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 21, 2010, 08:56:09 PM

Newsfeed  :fap:

Alty and 000 have a point here, but so does Dalekk. Personally I've learned a lot of useful and inspiring stuff from this community, but it seems to me that people have to be very careful with what they post unless they are in the inner circle or otherwise already have a few oldfag friends to defend them if they make a single "mistake" in the way they think.

I'm not saying I'm not tired of the pinealist crap, for example, but I don't think that's such a huge problem in the end - people who go on about that stuff usually figure out this place isn't what they're looking for pretty soon anyway. But IMO the absurdly aggressive feedback even sensible, potentially awesome noobs so easily receive here might keep a lot of Great Things from happening, and prevent the community from evolving. Or at least slow down the process.

Quote from: Epimetheus on November 21, 2010, 09:14:30 PMAnd don't expect that everyone else is making or should be making the same decision.

^ This is exactly what people here seem to keep forgetting, and instead of explaining or discussing the views, well... yeah.
THE MORALE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL DISCORDIANS IMPROVE

Ask me anything. Or else.