News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

If you ever need to highlight the hypocrisy of the media to someone...

Started by Cain, September 04, 2014, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

...just mention the events of the last few days.

So, for those of you who don't know, the phones of a number of attractive 20something female celebrities were hacked, and nude photos they had taken of themselves were released onto the net and/or possibly sold to an entertainment focused, internet media outlet (you know the one).

The mainstream media, as you would expect, went beserk.  Completely overboard, front page stories, headlines denouncing the hacker as "evil" and "depraved".  ISIS were being considered for front page news, due to yet another mass killing, but the media apparently lost interest when it was discovered there were no nudes of Omar al-Baghdadi.

Anyway.  If you were wondering, yes, this is the same media that devotes endless pages to "wardrobe malfunctions" and "side-boob" and "nipple slips", that pays paparazzi scum top dollar for blurry, long range pictures of celebrities in their bikinis or topless on holiday, and for barely disguised upskirt shots of them coming out of cars.  This is the same media that took to entrapping Tulisa Contostavlos with a contrived drug bust.  It's the same media that has no qualms about hacking the phones of politicians because they criticised their conduct, or of the families of those cruelly murdered.

That media apparently has decided this is an invasion of privacy and beyond the pale.

One would almost think they're just jealous, that a hacker managed to upstage them at their own game.

Junkenstein

Jelous at being upstaged, or upset that they were not the successful bidder?

I have absolutely no doubt that all the outlets crying foul over this now would have gladly paid for exclusive access to said content.... If the price was right. It may just be me, but it seems that UK media in particular has become even worse post-leveson. We've just not found out the full details yet.

I suppose I shouldn't bother mentioning Leveson and such, no other fucker is.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Oh, it gets funnier too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29061358

Quote4Chan has now said it will enact a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) policy to let content owners get illegally shared material removed.

It will now remove content after it gets a "bona fide infringement" notice.

Wait for it.....
QuoteThe policy shift also means that repeat offenders who regularly posted stolen material will have access to 4Chan "terminated".

Although this might have some impact on regular users of the site who maintain an account, it is not clear what effect the policy change will have on the many others who post material anonymously and supply no identifying information.

That bolded section clearly shows that who-ever wrote this heap of shit has no understanding of 4chan at all.

In other news, people continue to be unaware of the Striesand effect. More at 11.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Someone out in the blagonet pointed out that the people who are likely to decry the privacy concerns surrounding the government digitally intruding into their personal lives are the ones hacking into people's iCloud accounts.

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 04, 2014, 02:56:24 PM
Oh, it gets funnier too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29061358

Quote4Chan has now said it will enact a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) policy to let content owners get illegally shared material removed.

It will now remove content after it gets a "bona fide infringement" notice.

Wait for it.....
QuoteThe policy shift also means that repeat offenders who regularly posted stolen material will have access to 4Chan "terminated".

Although this might have some impact on regular users of the site who maintain an account, it is not clear what effect the policy change will have on the many others who post material anonymously and supply no identifying information.

That bolded section clearly shows that who-ever wrote this heap of shit has no understanding of 4chan at all.

In other news, people continue to be unaware of the Striesand effect. More at 11.

They probably just mean an IP ban,

Though I don't know how this will be enacted, by the time they hear about it, and go and lodge the complaint, the thread will have long expired. Unless they expect all further postings of it to be deleted and the users banned which seems impractical at best.

I just looked over at 4chan to make sure they hadn't added a forced account policy but it doesn't look like it, although from the looks of it more grainy celeb shots are being posted so we'll be hearing about this for a while yet.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

I'd expect 4chan to consist of nothing but grainy nude shots for the next few months, at least.

It's been like that since the start so I can't see a huge cultural shift about to happen any time soon.

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/09/02/perez-hilton-posts-apology-to-jennifer-lawrence-vows-to-never-publish-nude-celebrity-photos-again/

Jesus Christ, EVERYONE is jumping on this bandwagon. This just furthers my theory that whenever the media feels the need to circlejerk over how evil X person/group is its a combination of mass hysteria and projection. See also, pre-Savilegate BBCs pedophilia witch hunt.