News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shai Hulud

Quote from: JohNyx on January 11, 2010, 01:49:26 AM

Morality: a system of values regarding right and wrong.

I have a moral system, others have different ones.

Now you're just being glib.  I didn't ask for a definition, saying that morality is a system of right and wrong is tautological.  You say that you don't believe in objective morality, but subjective morality is no different from taste.  You say "I have a moral system, others have different ones."  Are they all equally valid?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 01:54:12 AM

Now you're just being glib.  I didn't ask for a definition, saying that morality is a system of right and wrong is tautological.  You say that you don't believe in objective morality, but subjective morality is no different from taste.  You say "I have a moral system, others have different ones."  Are they all equally valid?

No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:55:36 AM
No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?

I hate to facepalm twice in one thread but:
:facepalm:

[Edit: This is just nihilism.  Sorry, but I don't swing that way.]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 01:29:59 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:19:50 AM
My morals ... mostly have to do with being an absolute shit to almost all humans.

Congratulations on being a roaring success!  You're an inspiration to us lesser mortals:)

Yes, that's part of the job.  When I'm not drowning you or laughing while your corn withers in the fields.

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 01:29:59 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:20:43 AM
So, again, it's like communism or free market bullshit.  Looks really nice on paper, or while you're sitting around at Starbucks solving the world's problems, but not so good in application.

It's a mistake to think that moral philosophy is limited to sitting around at Starbucks.  There's a guy named Leon Kass who's an ethicist that didn't take the time to listen to your erudite critique of how much of a waste of time moral philosophy is.  And he's also some big muckymuck on some sort of National Bioethics commission, and so he spends his time convincing the president that cloning and stem cell research were too immoral to justify their benefits.  But if we have it the way you seem to want it, the people who actually have decent ideas about morals shouldn't waste their time at Starbucks, so we'll have nobody to stand up when people like Kass fuck things up for all of us.  Is this an unfair assessment?

I haven't seen any decent ideas yet.  Just speculation about ideas and what form they should take.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

I'm sensing something....it's yet another BA in Philosophy. How quaint. Armchair insights. More existentialism.

A less edgy rehash of DK.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Johnny

Quote from: Wiktionarytaste (countable and uncountable; plural tastes)

1. One of the sensations produced by the tongue in response to certain chemicals.
  2. (countable and uncountable): A person's implicit set of preferences, especially esthetic, though also culinary, sartorial, etc.

Yes, it is like taste; although from my subjective perspective, a lot of people's "taste" sucks.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?
So the conflict between peoples moral system can have a positive outcome on one person and a negative on the other. As soon as notions of power play or the realization that we are all trapped in a fish bowel, ideas of all morality being equal get thrown out the window.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 01:57:32 AM
No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?

Not unless my belief system is based on nihilism.  It's actually just snobbery and an inability to trust humans with anything more complex than string.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on January 11, 2010, 02:00:01 AM

No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?
So the conflict between peoples moral system can have an outcome a positive outcome on one and a negative on the other. As soon as notions of power play or the realization that we are all trapped in a fish bowel, ideas of all morality being equal get thrown out the window.

As the Judge once told me, back in the bad old days, "Wrong is poor and weak; Right is rich and powerful."

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Kai on January 11, 2010, 01:58:59 AM
I'm sensing something....it's yet another BA in Philosophy. How quaint. Armchair insights. More existentialism.

Easy pal.  Can't a guy just be a philosophy enthusiast without being accused of being a philosophy major?  I have a real degree thanks very much, not a philosophy BA!

The Good Reverend Roger

But at least you don't have to take any math, right?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 02:01:52 AM

Easy pal.  Can't a guy just be a philosophy enthusiast without being accused of being a philosophy major?  I have a real degree thanks very much, not a philosophy BA!

How does one get enthusiastic about philosophy?

It's about as exciting as stamp collecting.

The Johnny

No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?

How can one be self-centered and a nihilist at the same time?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JohNyx on January 11, 2010, 02:03:41 AM

No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?

How can one be self-centered and a nihilist at the same time?

I am neither.  As a Mexica Rain God, the normal rules do not apply to me.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 02:01:27 AM
Quote from: Faust on January 11, 2010, 02:00:01 AM

No.  Mine is more valid.

See how that works?
So the conflict between peoples moral system can have an outcome a positive outcome on one and a negative on the other. As soon as notions of power play or the realization that we are all trapped in a fish bowel, ideas of all morality being equal get thrown out the window.

As the Judge once told me, back in the bad old days, "Wrong is poor and weak; Right is rich and powerful."
Whenever I see these discussions the power play of morality is always ignored, and its probably the most important part because it is the reality and the actualization of morality.
Its shaking the shit out of it and seeing does it still work afterward.
Sleepless nights at the chateau