Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Ebonics - The downfall of US Ethics and Culture

Started by Nikoli Volkoff, December 02, 2004, 06:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikoli Volkoff

HEATHER NEES, Pembroke Pines Said this on the Miami Herald web site
QuoteProper English

I have been a faithful Herald subscriber for more than five years because the paper is informative without a lot of the political slant of others and generally well written. However, I am incensed over the Nov. 24 movie review It's time again to foist that annual Christmas jeer, which says that ''props'' must be given to actress Jamie Lee Curtis.

Props? Since when does your newspaper pander to the hip-hop, gangsta community? Props is urban slang for ''propers,'' slang for ''proper respect.'' I am trying to raise three children in this culturally diverse melting pot of South Florida, and as far as I can recall, proper English is still the spoken language of our country.

Ebonics, urban slang, Spanglish and all of the bastardizations of our accepted first language are contributing to the downfall of our civility as a nation. Acceptance of lack of command of the English language, as well as lack of etiquette, decency or proper attire, etc., contribute to the decay of our society, our morals and our ethics.

Please, do not give in to that acceptance. Continue to take the high road. It does not take any more effort or space to say that ''credit is due to Ms. Curtis'' than to resort to urban street language.

Sheyat dog, if this be de only thing bringin us down, we not so bad off after all huh....

oh wait...
The Hidden stone ripens fast, then laid bare like a turnip can easily be cut out at last but even then the danger isn't past. That man lives best who's fain to live half mad, half sane. -Flemish Poet Jan Van Stijevoort, 1524.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Nikoli VolkoffHEATHER NEES, Pembroke Pines Said this on the Miami Herald web site
QuoteProper English

I have been a faithful Herald subscriber for more than five years because the paper is informative without a lot of the political slant of others and generally well written. However, I am incensed over the Nov. 24 movie review It's time again to foist that annual Christmas jeer, which says that ''props'' must be given to actress Jamie Lee Curtis.

Props? Since when does your newspaper pander to the hip-hop, gangsta community? Props is urban slang for ''propers,'' slang for ''proper respect.'' I am trying to raise three children in this culturally diverse melting pot of South Florida, and as far as I can recall, proper English is still the spoken language of our country.

Ebonics, urban slang, Spanglish and all of the bastardizations of our accepted first language are contributing to the downfall of our civility as a nation. Acceptance of lack of command of the English language, as well as lack of etiquette, decency or proper attire, etc., contribute to the decay of our society, our morals and our ethics.

Please, do not give in to that acceptance. Continue to take the high road. It does not take any more effort or space to say that ''credit is due to Ms. Curtis'' than to resort to urban street language.

Sheyat dog, if this be de only thing bringin us down, we not so bad off after all huh....

oh wait...

Fuck that anti-slanging whackjob reject from the fucktard factory!
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

EraPassing

Jeez, even I'm not that much of a language Nazi!

Heather, lighten up!  Language is a tool of communication, not control, sheesh!
Elves suck.
Yeah, I said it, I went there.  Whatcha gonna do?

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Yeah but you know once you let the word "punkass" into your vocabulary, soon the barbarian hordes will infest the SUVs and golf courses. And then the country will be ruined for lace curtains everywhere.

EraPassing

For me, Hugh, it was "asshats".

Yes, this board has ruined me.
Elves suck.
Yeah, I said it, I went there.  Whatcha gonna do?

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: EraPassingFor me, Hugh, it was "asshats".

Yes, this board has ruined me.

Yes. Asshats is a fine word to let bring you to ruin.

There are more such fine examples.

Prickly

For me, it was "w00t". And yes, I use that word in everyday speech.
Pope Prickly the Pielyamorous Porcupine of the Bent Quarter Cabal and, more recently, the Sunrise If You Dare Cabal

Before the beginning, there was a 50/50 chance of either something or nothing existing. So, something and nothing decided to flip a coin to decide which of them would exist. However, in order for there to be a coin to flip, something had to have already won the toss. Therefore, you only exist because something is a cheating bastard.

For me it was "A/S/L" and "Need SoW, plz snd tlz plzthnx!!!1!!!11!".

saint aini

Mary: Let me ask you something.
[Grabs his hand]
Mary: Why are you alive?
John Preston: [Breaks free] I'm alive... I live... to safeguard the continuity of this great society. To serve Libria.
Mary: It's circular. You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?
John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
Mary: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.

I bet the person who wrote that letter fucking hates Shakespeare.

saint aini

And Shakespheare is considered modern english.  Languages change and evolve.
Mary: Let me ask you something.
[Grabs his hand]
Mary: Why are you alive?
John Preston: [Breaks free] I'm alive... I live... to safeguard the continuity of this great society. To serve Libria.
Mary: It's circular. You exist to continue your existence. What's the point?
John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
Mary: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.

English is the bastard son of a variety of different languages, its been influenced by different ethnicities for about as long as its actually been a language itself... I dont understand how people can be hardcore English purists and manage to keep a straight face.

Reminds me of the thing from Futurama where Leela is telling fry how quaint it is that he still says "ask" instead of "axe". Actually, that very mispronunciation is one of my pet peeves... kind of like how one of my room-mates says "Umber-Ella".

Wishfarple

Quote from: Z¬?. . . Reminds me of the thing from Futurama where Leela is telling fry how quaint it is that he still says "ask" instead of "axe". Actually, that very mispronunciation is one of my pet peeves... kind of like how one of my room-mates says "Umber-Ella".

I was at the liberry on Wensday checking out books on nucular esplosions!!
His Right Most Honorable Super Hella Reverend Llama Wishfart Rinpoche of the Church of Ed Gein (Deceased),
Temple of Cleveland

Sepia

ahahahahahahahaa.

Fool!

(does he not see the fnords?)
Everyone will always be too late

East Coast Hustle

oh yeah? well, I'm going to the cafe to get some expresso!

oh, and then there's the fact that I live in a state where they make you check the letter "R" at the boahdah...you can't drive yah caah up heah 'less you agree not to use the lettah "ahhh" at the end of a word...unless the word is "vodker" or "Afriker"

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"