News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Dear Sophisticaton

Started by Eve, November 10, 2008, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

Dear Sophistication,

It's been a long time, and I'm sorry to say, but I'm still not sure we can be friends. I saw you the other day, you know. You were beautiful; all sleek lines, right words, perfect poise. I wanted to say something to you, but we both know it wouldn't have worked out. I'm still just a kid, Sophistication, don't you get it? I'm even more of a slut now, more of a fuck up than I was last time we met. I'm busy getting high every day, telling lies every day, and I just can't imagine you could say the same. But you know that already.

I should tell you, we like to make fun of you, Sophistication. We dress up and play pretty and act like you, sometimes, for the fun of the game. We put on our serious faces with our serious high heels and make serious small talk, just like you do. Oh, we're not as good as you, of course. But I hardly think that matters now. Do you?

I'm expected to make nice with you, Sophistication, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet.

Until then,

A.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Payne

Quote from: Eve on November 10, 2008, 03:30:00 AM
I should tell you, we like to make fun of you, Sophistication. We dress up and play pretty and act like you, sometimes, for the fun of the game. We put on our serious faces with our serious high heels and make serious small talk, just like you do. Oh, we're not as good as you, of course. But I hardly think that matters now. Do you?

I particularly like this part.

It's an awesome bit of writing.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cainad (dec.)

:mittens:

I agree with Payne. That bit is really striking. It's sort of a switch from self-deprecation to snide comment.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

This piece was awesomely wonderful. And fun, too.  :)
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Richter

Well spoken.  :)

2 cent warning, but sophistication isn't necessarily doing things for sophistication's sake, it's doing thing the stuff you like to do RIGHT.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Eve

Quote from: Richter on November 12, 2008, 03:33:41 AM

2 cent warning, but sophistication isn't necessarily doing things for sophistication's sake, it's doing thing the stuff you like to do RIGHT.

Like wearing a kilt! ;) I kid, honestly. Sophistication isn't something I worry about often. I wrote a Dear Sophistication letter five or so years ago (in AP American Studies--not really sure how that connects) that I recently rediscovered, and this was my response to the original letter. I'd post that, but.. well, you remember being an angsty 17 year old, I'm sure.

Anyhow, thanks. :)
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Eve on November 12, 2008, 04:18:25 AM

Like wearing a kilt! ;) I kid, honestly. Sophistication isn't something I worry about often. I wrote a Dear Sophistication letter five or so years ago (in AP American Studies--not really sure how that connects) that I recently rediscovered, and this was my response to the original letter. I'd post that, but.. well, you remember being an angsty 17 year old, I'm sure.

The greater part of my contributions here are those of my angsty 17 year old self. :sad:

:wink:

wade

Where is Daruko?  I'd like to see what his suggestions would be to make this an even better piece.
REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly
:thumb: :kojak:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think he is saving up his rage to tear this place apart on September 23.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on November 12, 2008, 07:28:53 PM
I think he is saving up his rage to tear this place apart on September 23.

:lulz:

Richter

Quote from: Eve on November 12, 2008, 04:18:25 AM

Also in reply to Cainad, my angsty 17 year old self wrote the rant against the evils of Oatmeal cookies, which I still like better than 60% of the rest of my writings.  (Will post if I find)

From reading the rant, I got a strong idea of "Screw being perfect, I'll just be.", which works!  Emulating what you want to be does not make you what you want to be, since whatever brought that into being was a process in itself.

(Wearing a kilt doesn't make this either :wink:, I jsut makes you the same spag, panceless)

Cram's rant on arrete really comes to mind too, lot of the same sense of character coming out of accepting you're imperfect, and having fun with that.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat