News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Seriously, Mr. Dawkins?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 03, 2013, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bin-laden-has-won-they-confiscated-my-honey-outspoken-academic-richard-dawkins-in-airline-security-twitter-row-over-jar-of-honey-8919618.html

QuoteWorld famous English ethologist, evolutionary biologist and unrelenting critic of religion and the religious, Richard Dawkins, has turned his anger on airport security rules after he had a jar of honey confiscated.

Dawkins, who is no stranger to Twitter controversy following alleged anti-Muslim comments he made back in August, declared on the micro-blogging site that 'Bin Laden has won, in airports of the world every day' after security took away his jar of honey.

The outspoken atheist, who came to prominence with his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, criticised what he called 'dundridges' - his word for petty jobsworths - and described the confiscation of his honey as a 'STUPID waste.'

The latest outburst follows a tweet in August in which he said: "All the world's Muslims have fewer Nobel Prizes than Trinity College, Cambridge. They did great things in the Middle Ages, though."

He was widely criticised by fellow twitter-users who claimed his comments were 'anti-Muslim'.

Last month the academic once again found himself at the centre of a row over an interview he gave to the Times Magazine in which he appeared to suggest he was the victim of 'mild paedophilia' at school and that current cases of historical child sex abuse had been overblown.

"I am very conscious that you can't condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours", he said.

There was little sympathy today in response to the tweets regarding the confiscated honey.

I mean, I hate the NSA. Everybody hates the NSA. But it's like this man can't open his mouth without something monumentally stupid and offensive flying out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

That sums him up pretty neatly. Self centred to the point that he conflates complex world issues with the indignity of the fact he couldn't bring his sweets on the plane.

Also the reason there are so few Muslim noble prize winners is that the award only came into existence in 1901, and that the majority of it's lifespan they have been typecast as barbarians or as the villain of the day.

Having worked with BRILLIANT Muslim control engineers, including one of the most inspiring women in science I know has shown me how they are just as much an active part of the scientific community as any other religion or creed.

If it wasn't already obvious, their nuclear engineers are obviously capable enough, otherwise the west wouldn't make such a big deal out of it.

Religion plays a very little role in science. In the creative atmosphere of scientific research people don't talk about religion, it's simply not important to the work being done.

It simply doesn't come up all that much.

Unless of course you are doctor dick, a pontificating windbag with nothing of worth to add to the scientific community, who once wrote a book that went for some low hanging fruit, that had mass appeal to the simpler minds of the atheist community.

He is a millstone around the neck of anyone who wants to seriously discuss the topics he is supposedly an expert in.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

He is an awful man. I hate that when people think of atheists and science they most likely think of that giant douchebag and the fucktard sycophants who look up to him.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Oh bother. The heffalumps and woozzles stole richie the poohs honey.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The way he just loves to categorize and stick people in boxes with names he clearly thinks are cutesy-pie and clever, like "dundriges" and "faithfools" is particularly offputting. I get the strong impression that if he had the opportunity to round up the people in categories he finds undesirable and ship them off to "work camps", he'd leap at it.

tyrannosaurus vex

Richard Dawkins was on the talk show circuit a couple of weeks ago. He seems to be a generally nice-ish guy, who seems to think he has figured out "all this religion stuff." Jon Stewart asked him if religion really is as bad as all that, given how much peace and happiness it brings into people's lives, and Dawkins' only response to that was basically "yeah but it still isn't true." Which, of course, completely misses the point of the question. Who cares if it is true or not? If it works for people, helps them to realize some kind of peace in the face of the chaos life can bring, then it's sort of petty to just go around poking people in the eyes and saying "ha ha you're wrong about something." Richard Dawkins has made a career and earned international fame from doing exactly that, which normally would make a person an asshole.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on November 04, 2013, 02:55:02 AM
Richard Dawkins was on the talk show circuit a couple of weeks ago. He seems to be a generally nice-ish guy, who seems to think he has figured out "all this religion stuff." Jon Stewart asked him if religion really is as bad as all that, given how much peace and happiness it brings into people's lives, and Dawkins' only response to that was basically "yeah but it still isn't true." Which, of course, completely misses the point of the question. Who cares if it is true or not? If it works for people, helps them to realize some kind of peace in the face of the chaos life can bring, then it's sort of petty to just go around poking people in the eyes and saying "ha ha you're wrong about something." Richard Dawkins has made a career and earned international fame from doing exactly that, which normally would make a person an asshole.

That doesn't seem very nice-ish.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The thing is, he has no idea whether it's "not true". Most religious people don't literally believe in their origin stories; most believe that they are mostly metaphorical. So then we are talking about an abstract "god" or "spirit" or "universe" or however you want to define the concept of life-generator, which exists on some level by default of life existing. So then we're talking semantics such as whether this life-generating force is conscious and self-aware and whether it gives a fuck about us, which is simply unknowable. For a man of science to say "nope" on that issue is really pretty much just as meaningless as a priest saying "yep".

Are religious institutions corrupt? Damn straight, I would hazard that every single institution ever created by humankind is corrupt, some more than others. Don't get me started on compulsory schooling, which is in my opinion a horrible thing to inflict on innocent children. Religions aren't exempt from that. Give humans a hierarchy and power system that they can manipulate to make other humans miserable, and they'll get right on it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 04, 2013, 03:01:08 AM

I don't think I've ever seen any words come out of his mouth or fingertips that were nice-ish. Other than his books, everything I've seen out of him has been straight-up shitbean.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 04, 2013, 03:07:37 AM

I don't think I've ever seen any words come out of his mouth or fingertips that were nice-ish. Other than his books, everything I've seen out of him has been straight-up shitbean.

No it's not nice at all. But, you know, aside from talking about religion he's probably a nice guy. Problem is, he knows that's all he's got for him, so that's all he talks about. If you catch him on a random Thursday afternoon and talk about gardening it'll probably go alright. As long as you don't stick around long enough to get started on the topic of where the plants came from and how there are these idiots out there who don't believe in evolution.

On second thought, no, he just seems like a nice guy. You know, until he starts talking.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on November 04, 2013, 03:11:07 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 04, 2013, 03:07:37 AM

No it's not nice at all. But, you know, aside from talking about religion he's probably a nice guy. Problem is, he knows that's all he's got for him, so that's all he talks about. If you catch him on a random Thursday afternoon and talk about gardening it'll probably go alright. As long as you don't stick around long enough to get started on the topic of where the plants came from and how there are these idiots out there who don't believe in evolution.

On second thought, no, he just seems like a nice guy. You know, until he starts talking.

:lol: Yep.

The Good Reverend Roger

No it's not nice at all. But, you know, aside from talking about religion he's probably a nice guy.

When he's not talking about rounding up fornicators and having them stomped, Pat Fagan is probably a nice guy, too.

I put Dawkins on the same level as Rick Warren and other similar assholes.  He is to atheism what WBC is to Christianity.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I saw his tweets and giggled.

Someone on my feed reblogged them.

Brown person with muslim name? Well shit, that's going to be nasty with the TSA

Dicky Dorking _ WAAAAAHHHHH they took my jar of honey :sniff:

Fucknugget.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 04, 2013, 03:13:36 AM

No it's not nice at all. But, you know, aside from talking about religion he's probably a nice guy.

When he's not talking about rounding up fornicators and having them stomped, Pat Fagan is probably a nice guy, too.

I put Dawkins on the same level as Rick Warren and other similar assholes.  He is to atheism what WBC is to Christianity.

Well, you know Humans. No philosophy can be taken seriously until there are at least a few assholes out there busting heads to spread the word. If atheism is ever going to be considered a superior alternative to religion, it has to become a religion first.

Suu

Dawkins needs to just stop talking. Forever.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."