News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Faust on January 05, 2010, 09:37:39 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 05, 2010, 09:35:02 PM
Quote from: Frenulum Pendulum on January 04, 2010, 02:49:08 AM
why do you need to trick yourself if you already know it's a trick?

how is that even possible without some serious cognitive dissonance?

Need?  So that I can achieve magical results.
you dont.

Seems like I do to me.  Which is the important part for me.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 05, 2010, 09:57:16 PM

you dont.

<insert Harry Potter pic here>
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

you dont.

Delude yourself with as many simulacra as you want. What you are doing isn't magic and the importance you are placing on it is on the part that doesn't do anything.
The effect has different roots and just because you say "well I don't want to think about it" makes it the exact same as religious delusion.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on January 05, 2010, 10:09:34 PM

you dont.

Delude yourself with as many simulacra as you want. What you are doing isn't magic and the importance you are placing on it is on the part that doesn't do anything.
The effect has different roots and just because you say "well I don't want to think about it" makes it the exact same as religious delusion.

Precisely.  When all the sigils are drawn and the all the "love under will"s have been uttered, reality has not changed.  It's still there.

Kipling wrote a funny poem about something like this once.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

The Good Reverend Roger

NotPublished

Faust

Quote from: NotPublished on January 05, 2010, 10:37:18 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2010, 10:32:02 PM
I blame you for this shit.
:oops:

Least the other one is about Quantum
I'm not reading that, every time I see someone misunderstanding QM or warping to their own needs I feel horrible dismay.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

NotPublished

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Has anybody added argumentative smart-ass hairsplitters and nitpickers to the list of people who believe in magic (or at any rate believe in a certain specific and limited sense provided that there's an argument to be had by doing so)? Because i fall into that category.

Many practices which are commonly labeled as "magic" actually DO work, albeit not necessarily by the supernatural means that the sorceror claims them to work by. For example, it is a widely accepted fact that a Voodoo Curse CAN indeed kill you (provided that you sincerely believe that it can kill you). The actual mechanism by which death is caused, however, is not the intervention of vengeful spirits, but rather through psychological manipulation of the victim, resulting a combination of illness induced by the physiological symptoms of extreme stress and potentially self-destructive changes in emotion and behavior.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_death and http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/full/92/10/1593)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Johnny

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 05, 2010, 11:51:36 PM
Has anybody added argumentative smart-ass hairsplitters and nitpickers to the list of people who believe in magic (or at any rate believe in a certain specific and limited sense provided that there's an argument to be had by doing so)? Because i fall into that category.

Many practices which are commonly labeled as "magic" actually DO work, albeit not necessarily by the supernatural means that the sorceror claims them to work by. For example, it is a widely accepted fact that a Voodoo Curse CAN indeed kill you (provided that you sincerely believe that it can kill you). The actual mechanism by which death is caused, however, is not the intervention of vengeful spirits, but rather through psychological manipulation of the victim, resulting a combination of illness induced by the physiological symptoms of extreme stress and potentially self-destructive changes in emotion and behavior.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_death and http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/full/92/10/1593)

THAT IS NOT MAGIC

THAT IS BEING A GULLIBLE NOOB

AND IF BEING A GULLIBLE NOOB MAKES YOU A DEAD NOOB

GOOD
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JohNyx on January 05, 2010, 11:59:11 PM

THAT IS NOT MAGIC

GOOD

I think JohNyx may be my favorite new poster of 2009.

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 06, 2010, 12:17:04 AM

THAT IS NOT MAGIC

GOOD

:lol: Ive learned to appreciate you too.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JohNyx on January 06, 2010, 12:27:35 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 06, 2010, 12:17:04 AM

THAT IS NOT MAGIC

GOOD

:lol: Ive learned to appreciate you too.

Not that I don't hate you or anything, it's just that I hate all the other new users so much more.

Salty

No.
Just no.

Psychology does not kill people. Ever.  

Don't you think that if it were Fact people would be using this stiff to, oh I dunno, cure fucking cancer. Or MS? Or AIDS?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.