News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Invention needed

Started by Adios, May 14, 2011, 06:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Robotics for the handicapped.

Along the lines of finger controlled blacksmith hammer, etc.

I suspect there would be one helluva market for something like that.

Elder Iptuous

there's folks working on it...
i've seen stories about several operations working on lower body powered exoskeleton for the elderly...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 06:19:01 PM

Dude...dude....DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting vague ideas of other ways this could be done.

Adios

Quote from: Iptuous on May 14, 2011, 07:31:50 PM
there's folks working on it...
i've seen stories about several operations working on lower body powered exoskeleton for the elderly...

I've seen some too, what I meant was strictly for recreational activities. Light carpentry (birdhouse building), making knives/carving tools, stuff like that.

Adios

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on May 14, 2011, 07:33:54 PM

Cool. I was sitting here thinking I would like to make a knife, then laughed at my foolishness and inability.

Bruno

I might could help with that. I have a degree in electromechanology that I'm not using at the moment.

What is the problem, exactly? Elbow and wrist stuff?
Formerly something else...

Adios

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on May 14, 2011, 08:01:20 PM
I might could help with that. I have a degree in electromechanology that I'm not using at the moment.

What is the problem, exactly? Elbow and wrist stuff?

Bad back, bad elbows, bad wrist, fibro, bladder disease, all of which complain very loudly when i attempt to do anything physical. This has also led to muscle atrophy.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 07:49:44 PM
Quote from: Canis latrans securis on May 14, 2011, 07:33:54 PM

Cool. I was sitting here thinking I would like to make a knife, then laughed at my foolishness and inability.

A computer numerically controlled trip hammer flashed into my head. I don't know how it would work or if it;'s a good idea, but that might be a really good reason for me to activily peruse mech engineering.

Adios

My mind wandered into the not so much scifi field of a glove the user would wear to control things. There has to be multiple ways to make something like this work, so go all Bill Gates in your garage!  :D

Requia ☣

Not really familiar with how much work one takes to use, but I've heard of people doing blacksmithing with air hammers.

Could possibly be combined with some sort of rig to hold the hammer in place/move the hammer with some dials.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

Is the problem range of motion, strength, repetitive motion or all of the above?

Adios

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 14, 2011, 08:15:15 PM
Is the problem range of motion, strength, repetitive motion or all of the above?

My thought was about handicapped people in general, not only myself. There has to be a vast market for something like this.

Bruno

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 14, 2011, 08:12:29 PM
Not really familiar with how much work one takes to use, but I've heard of people doing blacksmithing with air hammers.

Could possibly be combined with some sort of rig to hold the hammer in place/move the hammer with some dials.

Looks like a good start, at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyaoJjqZpo
Formerly something else...

Requia ☣

Oh wow, that makes much more sense.

The air hammers I've seen are small handheld tools.   :lol:

Still, something that can work an arbitrary power tool without much effort (and here's a thought for expanding the market, a lot of precision) seems interesting... anybody have any idea how you would make a 'hand' that could hold various power tool handles (without requiring anything fancy like a vacuum pump).

Adios

A few of us could probably Rube Goldberg something that isn't practical.