News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Was L Ron Hubbard a Discordian?

Started by Faust, August 09, 2009, 08:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phi

Quote from: Faust on August 09, 2009, 08:11:49 PM

Scientology is an unfunny joke disguised as a funny joke.... Note how the word "religion" doesn't enter. I don't want politicians reading this and making their church tax exempt.
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 24, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Only 41 more posts til Clue Jr!
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on January 24, 2010, 05:43:57 AM
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Fuquad

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

phi

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on December 28, 2009, 03:55:41 AM
Edited for clarity.
I quoted the original post as intended, knowing it was empty... I was responding to the first post and thus felt it appropriate.
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Both Hubbard and Joseph Smith, were IMO Discordian. They rejected the acceptable systems of belief and imposed their own. They modified the consciousness of society and more importantly of the thousands of believers they have garnered over the years. They may not have done it for the LULZ, but Eris is not always in it for the LULZ... perhaps rarely in it for the LULZ.

Chaos, Discord, Confusion and Bureaucracy are all alive and well in both Mormonism and Scientology.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Points should be deducted because they decided to use their transgressive insights to control people according to their new rules.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 28, 2009, 07:15:33 PM
Points should be deducted because they decided to use their transgressive insights to control people according to their new rules.

Unless of course that's what they were aiming to do. Fleecing the sheep is OK, if you have a good buyer for the wool ;-)

LMNO

For personal reasons, I am not amused.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 28, 2009, 06:27:01 PM
Both Hubbard and Joseph Smith, were IMO Discordian. They rejected the acceptable systems of belief and imposed their own. They modified the consciousness of society and more importantly of the thousands of believers they have garnered over the years. They may not have done it for the LULZ, but Eris is not always in it for the LULZ... perhaps rarely in it for the LULZ.

Chaos, Discord, Confusion and Bureaucracy are all alive and well in both Mormonism and Scientology.

In that reasoning, Jesus (the damned dirty hippie) was more of a discordian than Hill or Thornley. He trolled twelve guys for a few years, got himself killed, and after two thousand years most people haven't caught on yet.

In terms of similarity of ideas, you can accuse anyone of being a discordian. Hubbard was a thelemite, as historically recorded, and RAW has inserted plenty of Crowley into discordian canon. In terms of knowledge of and identification as a discordian, I have no idea, and I doubt any of us do. Certainly, if Hubbard were doing Scientology as an O:MF project, he wouldn't let loose his intent, would he? (This is, in a nutshell, why I suspect Larry Wall and want to saint him)

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bu🤠ns

Hubbard was Satan, self-proclaimed.

Who needs Discordianism when you're Satan?

phi

Above the baseline, how is there anything more than Bureaucracy in Scientology? Their aim is to replace individual agency with group structure... Although, I guess their fucked up practices cause Discord with the group Anonymous... and their whacked out beliefs cause confusion outside of Scientology... And of course they're escalating Chaos. But I'd say that all exists outside Scientology, albeit caused by it. Interesting point there. 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on December 29, 2009, 02:01:44 AM

In that reasoning, Jesus (the damned dirty hippie) was more of a discordian than Hill or Thornley. He trolled twelve guys for a few years, got himself killed, and after two thousand years most people haven't caught on yet.

In terms of similarity of ideas, you can accuse anyone of being a discordian. Hubbard was a thelemite, as historically recorded, and RAW has inserted plenty of Crowley into discordian canon. In terms of knowledge of and identification as a discordian, I have no idea, and I doubt any of us do. Certainly, if Hubbard were doing Scientology as an O:MF project, he wouldn't let loose his intent, would he? (This is, in a nutshell, why I suspect Larry Wall and want to saint him)

You don't think Jesus was a Discordian?  :lulz:

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I think that were he born significantly more recently he would have identified as a discordian. I don't think he identified as a discordian, because I don't thing discordianism existed.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on December 29, 2009, 04:32:24 PM
I think that were he born significantly more recently he would have identified as a discordian. I don't think he identified as a discordian, because I don't thing discordianism existed.

Every Man, Woman and Child is a Pope of Discordia. Every Man, Woman and Child helps keep the wobble in the Sacred Chao, bouncing between the Hodge and the Podge. Every Blackwater agent help She What Done it All, as does every pastor, every scientist and every politician. People that made shit up wholesale and SOLD it successfully... they're like fucking Cardinals in the spread of Discord, Confusion and Strife*.

* That includes magic systems, not just religions ;-)

PROOF:
QuoteOne day Satan, Jesus and Eris were having a conversation. Satan had just come from the Garden of Eden; he was gloating and boasting. "Yes, sir, I just caught the world full of people down there. Set me a trap, used bait I knew they couldn't resist. Got 'em all!"

"What are you going to do with them?" Jesus asked.

"Why would you want that bunch of losers anyway?", Eris chimed in sweetly. "They appear as nothing more than a bunch of mindless sheep, constantly whining and praying for 'God' to fix their problems." She made a face, as though she'd just bitten into a rotten apple, "They're pathetic."

Satan replied, "Oh, I'm gonna have fun! I'm gonna teach them how to marry and divorce each other, how to hate and abuse each other, how to drink and smoke and curse. I'm gonna teach them how to invent guns and bombs and kill each other. I'm really gonna have fun!"

"And what will you do when you get done with them?" Jesus asked.

"Can I watch?" Eris asked.

"Oh, I'll kill 'em," Satan glared proudly.

"Wait a minute," Eris said, "You don't want to kill 'em. Then they won't be amusing anymore. I've got a much better idea."

Satan looked interested, but mostly because he had a secret crush on Eris.

"How much do you want for them?" Jesus asked.

"What are you on about?" Eris asked somewhat perturbed at being interrupted, she looked at him for a moment and then groaned, "Will you stop with all of this Son of God crap?"

Jesus was somewhat taken aback, "Er, well I mean aren't I supposed to do something to save all these people?"

"Save them from what? Themselves? Their natural tenancy toward chaos? Their constant inability to control even their basest emotion? I mean what do you expect to save?" Eris looked at Jesus pointedly and sighed.

"But, that's what my Father wants. I am his only-begotten son, and I should give my life to save the human race from Satan here.... right?" Jesus said, questions beginning to show in his eyes.

"Jesus Christ! What are you thinking? Your Father is supposed to be some Almighty God, if he really wanted to save people, don't you think he could just kill Satan here?" She looked briefly at Satan, who was suddenly uncomfortable,"No offense, Smoky" Eris concluded.

"Err, well there's the whole thing about proving yourself or something. At any rate, HE wishes it to be this way." Jesus was obviously concerned with the direction the conversation was taking.

"How about this," Eris said smiling, "We will con a bunch of gullible humans into writing down that you two did everything you're supposed to do. People are sheep, they;ll believe that it happened and we can go do something else. Besides, if people think that God's Son came down to earth, you realize how much chaos that will cause? Everyone will try to follow you their own way, and powerful people will force weaker people to follow you according to their opinions. Then groups of powerful people will fight about your beliefs... it'll be great!!!"

Jesus looked disturbed "But, won't there be suffering?"

"Of course," Eris smiled sweetly "But, they're humans there will be suffering no matter what you do. If you go down there and tell people to love each other, they will, and they will give everyone else the choice of loving each other according to the rules, or they will love them with a sword. It doesn't matter what you say."

Satan looked depressed "Damn it all to hell! I spent all this time setting a trap and I caught people who were already fucked? That's not fair!"

Eris smiled at the poor horned troublemaker, "Tell ya what, why don't the three of us head back to my place, I've got some great Kine Bud that is just ready to smoke and I made a bong out of the Horsehead Nebula last week. Wanna try it out?"

Jesus and Satan looked at each other, looked at the Earth and looked at Eris (who at this point made sure hat the shoulder of her dress slipped down to expose a little flesh)."I'm sure there is more entertaining stuff to do back at my place," she said sweetly and whisked them off to Limbo.

Jesus and Satan got so stoned that they forgot about the silly humans and their pathetic sheep-like ways. Eris, on the other hand decided to implement her little chaos causing schemes and what we see today is the fault of "She What Done It All".

So, now you know the truth, and the truth will set you free... or, barring that, you can just set yourself free.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 29, 2009, 04:15:16 PM
You don't think Jesus was a Discordian?  :lulz:

If he ever returns, we should totally recruit him.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

phi

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 29, 2009, 04:52:14 PM
Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on December 29, 2009, 04:32:24 PM

Every Man, Woman and Child is a Pope of Discordia. Every Man, Woman and Child helps keep the wobble in the Sacred Chao, bouncing between the Hodge and the Podge. Every Blackwater agent help She What Done it All, as does every pastor, every scientist and every politician. People that made shit up wholesale and SOLD it successfully... they're like fucking Cardinals in the spread of Discord, Confusion and Strife*.

* That includes magic systems, not just religions ;-)

Brilliantly worded.

PROOF:
QuoteOne day Satan, Jesus and Eris were having a conversation. Satan had just come from the Garden of Eden; he was gloating and boasting. "Yes, sir, I just caught the world full of people down there. Set me a trap, used bait I knew they couldn't resist. Got 'em all!"

"What are you going to do with them?" Jesus asked.

"Why would you want that bunch of losers anyway?", Eris chimed in sweetly. "They appear as nothing more than a bunch of mindless sheep, constantly whining and praying for 'God' to fix their problems." She made a face, as though she'd just bitten into a rotten apple, "They're pathetic."

Satan replied, "Oh, I'm gonna have fun! I'm gonna teach them how to marry and divorce each other, how to hate and abuse each other, how to drink and smoke and curse. I'm gonna teach them how to invent guns and bombs and kill each other. I'm really gonna have fun!"

"And what will you do when you get done with them?" Jesus asked.

"Can I watch?" Eris asked.

"Oh, I'll kill 'em," Satan glared proudly.

"Wait a minute," Eris said, "You don't want to kill 'em. Then they won't be amusing anymore. I've got a much better idea."

Satan looked interested, but mostly because he had a secret crush on Eris.

"How much do you want for them?" Jesus asked.

"What are you on about?" Eris asked somewhat perturbed at being interrupted, she looked at him for a moment and then groaned, "Will you stop with all of this Son of God crap?"

Jesus was somewhat taken aback, "Er, well I mean aren't I supposed to do something to save all these people?"

"Save them from what? Themselves? Their natural tenancy toward chaos? Their constant inability to control even their basest emotion? I mean what do you expect to save?" Eris looked at Jesus pointedly and sighed.

"But, that's what my Father wants. I am his only-begotten son, and I should give my life to save the human race from Satan here.... right?" Jesus said, questions beginning to show in his eyes.

"Jesus Christ! What are you thinking? Your Father is supposed to be some Almighty God, if he really wanted to save people, don't you think he could just kill Satan here?" She looked briefly at Satan, who was suddenly uncomfortable,"No offense, Smoky" Eris concluded.

"Err, well there's the whole thing about proving yourself or something. At any rate, HE wishes it to be this way." Jesus was obviously concerned with the direction the conversation was taking.

"How about this," Eris said smiling, "We will con a bunch of gullible humans into writing down that you two did everything you're supposed to do. People are sheep, they;ll believe that it happened and we can go do something else. Besides, if people think that God's Son came down to earth, you realize how much chaos that will cause? Everyone will try to follow you their own way, and powerful people will force weaker people to follow you according to their opinions. Then groups of powerful people will fight about your beliefs... it'll be great!!!"

Jesus looked disturbed "But, won't there be suffering?"

"Of course," Eris smiled sweetly "But, they're humans there will be suffering no matter what you do. If you go down there and tell people to love each other, they will, and they will give everyone else the choice of loving each other according to the rules, or they will love them with a sword. It doesn't matter what you say."

Satan looked depressed "Damn it all to hell! I spent all this time setting a trap and I caught people who were already fucked? That's not fair!"

Eris smiled at the poor horned troublemaker, "Tell ya what, why don't the three of us head back to my place, I've got some great Kine Bud that is just ready to smoke and I made a bong out of the Horsehead Nebula last week. Wanna try it out?"

Jesus and Satan looked at each other, looked at the Earth and looked at Eris (who at this point made sure hat the shoulder of her dress slipped down to expose a little flesh)."I'm sure there is more entertaining stuff to do back at my place," she said sweetly and whisked them off to Limbo.

Jesus and Satan got so stoned that they forgot about the silly humans and their pathetic sheep-like ways. Eris, on the other hand decided to implement her little chaos causing schemes and what we see today is the fault of "She What Done It All".

So, now you know the truth, and the truth will set you free... or, barring that, you can just set yourself free.

I think an Erisian version of the Book of Job is in order. That section of the bible is one of my favorites to mock.