News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Numpy in my Pythonic Fortran

Started by axod, January 01, 2015, 11:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axod

I remember from my days of lurking, a thread on python's coding fury.
Now it seems that I am catching-up, though some dependencies stay blurry.
Namely, if nested in the python, fortran lays, is anyone here versed'n it's ways?

Perhaps someone from the navy, would know a little Fortran(90) maybe?
just this

axod

Ftpy eventually did the trick.  Feels like cheating the fortran.  Works, tho back hurts from all the "hacking".  The whole venture is rather obsessive, strangely addictive and hypnotic.  Not to mention funny:  "not now, honey, I just have to finish compiling Mie scattering libraries before I'm done"
just this

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'll numpy in your pythonic fortran, all right. Just hold still a minute.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Seriously though Hirley0 probably knows what you're talking about.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

axod

Honestly, I would not be surprised if Hirle0 was responsible for getting me this far in the first place.
just this

rong

I took a Fortran class in college. 

I learned the Fortran is not very good for combinatorial algorithms
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

axod

The f90 is for numerical propagation/scattering algs, I think.  Compiled them separate and they used to work.  Now I think scipy plots are getting too big-  need too lean out all modules imported, I think.  Or get more memory.  :lulz:
just this

rong

I was using F77 - it worked but it was cumbersome
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

axod

Yea, I was using g77, gnu95, then gfortran - reading about the lang's development and was fascinated by the different demands made on it - like de fence dept.s stipulating the inclusion of Unicode parsers back in the 50's.  Fascinating.
just this

axod

So, hacking away, turns out my fortran bits may not have been properly compiled.  Although I cannot simply build and package the modules into python, seamlessly, with a little repetition I can force the calculations to work with python's "in-line" command prompt.  This is cool because python is flexible enough to bend over backwards, however, without a propper compile, it can take me hours of hacking and jerry-rigging just to do a single calculation.  Is there anyway to take a snap-shot of a working environment in python, I wonder, kind of like saving one's progress?  Will post If it occurs.
just this

axod

just this