News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

I'd half expected the call...

Started by Luna, December 29, 2011, 02:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

So, my cell phone rings.  It's the benefits manager at the university that let me go back in June.

They're hiring, since the chick that was supposed to take over my duties had a stress-caused stroke within a month, went out on leave, ran out her medical leave, and never returned.  (No word on her current condition, I DID ask.)  The boss who let me go is semi-retiring to three days a week.

The benefits manager asked if she could call me, and was told that I would certainly be considered, the boss would go to bat for me... but I have to apply TODAY, and send an email essentially begging for another chance.

Pros:  The benefits are excellent.  Salary would be less than I was getting, but more than I am getting.  I know the place, I know the people, I know the job.  Free tuition, good medical, lots of vacation time.

Cons:  They need me NOW, and I'm committed here until the end of February.  Screwing this place would also screw the temp agency, which has saved my bacon several times.  I know the people, and they treated me poorly when I was down...  and the one who would be there as my full time boss once boss semi-retires is unavailable today to discuss, she is on vacation in Hawaii.

What do?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Call the temp agency today and let them know that you've been offered a full-time position elsewhere, and if they could get a new temp in at the school district.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Luna

Quote from: Suu on December 29, 2011, 02:37:50 PM
Call the temp agency today and let them know that you've been offered a full-time position elsewhere, and if they could get a new temp in at the school district.

New temp would be lost, this place is mid-transition.  Also, position was not OFFERED, I am just welcome to apply.

Trying to decide if going back there is worth it.  I would constantly feel like they are waiting to get rid of me, again... and the place made me crazy.  (Literally...  At one point I had a note from a shrink taking me out on FMLA for stress.) 

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Phox

If you have to apply today, just go ahead and apply. You can always turn down the position if you decide it isn't worth it.

Luna

Quote from: Doktor-General M. Phox on December 29, 2011, 02:52:53 PM
If you have to apply today, just go ahead and apply. You can always turn down the position if you decide it isn't worth it.

True...

Will have to be after work, since the system requires I upload a resume, which I don't have with me.  I DO miss going to classes...

Suu

This.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

If you get the job offered you can always explain you've had to commit through Feb.
They've ridden half - ass this far, let them feel even more grateful when you can show back up.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

AFK

THIS.

I did the same thing.  I recently accepted a new job at the same time I was applying for a state job.  I still went ahead and interviewed for the state job.  If I get offered that job, I can turn it down if it won't work out.  I think it's a perfectly fine path to take. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Luna

Quote from: Richter on December 29, 2011, 03:12:35 PM
If you get the job offered you can always explain you've had to commit through Feb.
They've ridden half - ass this far, let them feel even more grateful when you can show back up.

They've apparently got the boss running it, and he's gone to part time next week... and there's nobody else full time in the department.  This amuses me, that he's been going batshit with whoever he can scrounge from Finance for help.

And, lukewarm fuzzy that, now that he's DONE the job, he understands it isn't as easy as he thought it is.

Reginald Ret

First: Congratulations on being asked for a job, that is not as common as some people think and a true compliment.

Second:
Apply for the job, don't start there until your other job has a semiacceptable replacement. 
  Don't wait for the perfect replacement, you sound like the type who falls for the irreplacable trap.
    i.e. being such a perfectionist that what you think is doing the job good enough is actually 10 times as well as they were expecting. On top of that you give 20% extra.
      pro-tip: they only ask so much of you because they expect you to only give 10%
        This is no excuse to stop working so hard, that's a good habit, besides you know you couldn't do a worse job even if you wanted to.
          That is the main reason they want you back, they realised no one else can do this shit as good as you did.
            Unless i'm reading you wrong, I don't know you well enough   :)

Ask more money. Even if it's only one cent per month, they need you so they should be willing to admit that you are worth more now.
This could be skipped if you have bad prospects for work but it sounds like you are doing ok.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Apply for it, then make a decision if they make you an offer.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.