News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Now endorsed by Foodbabe!

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 27, 2014, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 17, 2015, 04:52:46 PM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on January 17, 2015, 04:49:57 PM
Yeah - I'm not with him but my mum said he was able to raise his left arm and move his left leg - not a lot but some.

They've just left him to have some rest, and said they'd check in again this evening. The doctors still haven't really told them much - it is too early to say, basically. From what little I know about this sort of thing, any improvement at all in the first day feels hopeful.

That means his motor cortex isn't too significantly damaged, so that's good! And yes, the earlier there is improvement  the better the outcome. Is there indication that he understands what's said to him?

We're not really sure how much he understands right now. He seems to be trying to open his eyes and he's squeezing hands, which is good, but he hasn't managed to get his eyes open yet.

It turns out he wasn't left for an hour, either - it probably began around 10:30 and the ambulance wasn't called until 2:30. The details are pretty distressing - he was against a radiator for an hour, and there's burns over his back to deal with too.

I got the sides wrong as well- his left side is fine, it is the right which is damaged.

He's had a clot rather than a bleed and they're keeping him on aspirin. The stroke nurse says that it'll all depend on the next 2-3 days and whether he has more repeats.

My grandmother is in denial about the situation. She seems to think he'll be back on his feet and fine in a day or two. I don't think we really appreciated how much he has been looking after her, either; she's largely immobile (though she's always protested that and refused anything like a wheelchair or buggy). She didn't know where food or cutlery was stored or even which key opens the front door.

My mum has taken a week off work to look after my grandmother and try to prepare her for bringing him back if he recovers enough. Nobody at the hospital was really prepared to talk about how bad it could be or what recovery might look like yet. I expect that conversation will come on Monday.

The main thing I've been thinking about all day is that, when I saw him before Christmas, we had a long discussion about an argument he'd had with my uncle. The uncle had been trying to get him and my grandmother into a home. He was furious and absolutely hated the thought of losing his independence - he made me and my mum promise that we'd have his corner if it came to it.

Horrible that we'd discuss something like that just a few months before this. All we can really do right now is hope that he recovers enough it isn't an issue. It'd never come up before, and I remember thinking it was weird that the uncle would even raise the idea at the time.

Thanks again for the kind words. I don't normally like sharing this kind of personal stuff, but it has helped to write it out.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: President Television on January 17, 2015, 11:49:40 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 17, 2015, 11:22:37 PM
Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on January 17, 2015, 08:54:11 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2015, 08:26:23 PM
What's cool is that even if a woman spag like that is one in a million, there are SEVEN THOUSAND of them out there.

newsfeed

It would need to be corrected to reflect the correct math, which would be fourteen thousand if we are expanding the search for EOC's lifemate to men.

I'm not sure how EOC feels about that, though.

I think it's more that the original figure should've been 3,500, but that doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

Oh, you're right. Good catch.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's so sad, Demo Squid. :( No matter how it goes down, it's never easy when our old folks suffer from the kinds of major illnesses and injuries that tend to come near the end of life. Hang in there, I hope for the best possible outcome.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Demolition Squid on January 17, 2015, 04:31:08 PM
Thanks guys.

At first he wasn't able to move his left side at all, but that's improved. He still can't talk but he seems more lucid - he could tell people were there with him and I hope that helped.

So... things are looking better than they were this morning, at least. Just have to stay hopeful for now.

Immediate improvement is good.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

The word for today is "ultracrepidarian".
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

QuoteThanks again for the kind words. I don't normally like sharing this kind of personal stuff, but it has helped to write it out.   
- Demolition Squid

Had to go with this way of quoting you because  :argh!: with smartphone trying to shorten quote.

I'm not one to bring up such matters either Squid. I do very strongly sympathize, I'm just not usually comfortable being expressive about such.

Hold on to hope. I can only do a few things and gladly will. I can and will pray for your grandfather. For me this is as much a matter of appeal to God for an easing of the troubles on the way as a respectful bit of vigil. Whatever the reality of God, and I'll not deny my experiences nor pretend they constitute proof, it is a token of respect as well.

I will also reciprocate on the sharing since I've not really done much of that here but it's right to if others have in good faith. It's half the point of a church of any sort. A place to lay down your troubles and be thankful for the good things,
hopeful for the rest.

Early this last year my Dad was diagnosed with stage 3 non Hodgkins lymphoma. His health had been degrading for some time and, after many appeals from my brothers and myself, my aunts finally convinced him to see a doctor in Kenosha (south of Racine) instead of his then current doctor. Who can rot.
The cancer had enlarged his spleen to the point that his kidney was cut off, this was when he finally got ill enough to capitulate. It saved his life.

The cancer had probably been building up in him for years undiagnosed. Before the tests came back I only knew that he had lymphoma and made some preparations to move back home if he required care or had a poor prognosis.

It must be said that my Dad is the sort of stubborn that they don't seem to make anymore. In his faith most of all. I have in the course of my life seen the very good and the just unacceptable among Christianity. Despite seeing his worst nature as his child he remains one of the most influential standards by which I judge the difference.

That same stubbornness very nearly killed him. I am convinced the faith kept him alive. Not being right about theology mind you. Just the capacity to have hope that in his case most certainly stems from his theology. He has given hope to a lot of people and has yet to run out.

I respectfully wish to keep this somewhat brief and MUST crash soon for work.

My point here is that in all the troubles I've seen over last year
(and even recently as immune deficit from the chemotherapy has caused a terrible viral infection that nearly killed him with fever and he was saved only because some sort of plastic that had burnt onto his space heater in his bedroom was smelled by my brother, who lives with him, in the dead of night and he went to check on him) <-too tired to word right

All those troubles have not been somehow averted by having faith, but they have been eased by the love and hope that was produced by it.

So I will hope to God for both our troubles Squid. Hang in there.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

My shit finally shipped.  I now have things to cook with, my library and my desktop, in a now extremely crowded room.

On the plus side, once I'm settled in, I can start recording again, like I keep on promising to.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 18, 2015, 12:27:21 AM
What's cool is that even if a woman spag like that is one in a million, there are SEVEN THOUSAND of them out there.

newsfeed

It would need to be corrected to reflect the correct math, which would be fourteen thousand if we are expanding the search for EOC's lifemate to men.

I think it's more that the original figure should've been 3,500, but that doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

also LOL bi people. 7000 works for me :D

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on January 18, 2015, 12:40:03 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 18, 2015, 12:27:21 AM

newsfeed

also LOL bi people. 7000 works for me :D

Yeah, I've heard of bi people. :lol: I was just still talking about EOC, who as far as I know isn't.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 18, 2015, 10:37:58 AM
My shit finally shipped.  I now have things to cook with, my library and my desktop, in a now extremely crowded room.

On the plus side, once I'm settled in, I can start recording again, like I keep on promising to.

Woohoo!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The FB group "Group for anarchists to post pictures of their cats in" is a barrel of lulz. From the rules: "Anarchy isn't anarchy when it isn't safe for all".

The admins delete comments that disagree with their opinions, and ban people at the drop of a hat. Today, one of the admins said that she was refusing to add people who had Charlie Hebdo-related avatars, because, and I quote: "charlie hebdo isn't "satire," the whole POINT of satire is NOT to make fun of marginalized groups, that's what "mainstream humor" is for." and "...oppressing marginalized groups is never satire. they were certainly oppressors."

But it gets better. Yesterday they banned somebody for using the word "butthurt", on the premise that "butthurt" is homophobic because it oppresses people who have anal sex. MEANWHILE, they don't even seem to notice the use of the word "retarded" as a derogatory term.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

These people have drunk the kool-aid and have the blanket fort on lockdown. The group itself has nothing to do with anarchy, and would probably be better served to remove the word from their name, but beyond that they are doing nothing to dissuade me of my impression that "anarchist", like "libertarian" and "communist", is just another synonym for "fascist". If you subscribe to one of these ideologies and people won't behave ideally, thus making your Utopia possible, you have to MAKE them behave.

Anyway, I am keenly aware that every time I speak up I run the risk of being banned, so I am trying to keep it to a minimum, so that I can sit back and watch the lulz roll by.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's kind of like a high-school slapfight club, administrated by Mean Girls. :lol:

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 19, 2015, 12:42:00 AM
These people have drunk the kool-aid and have the blanket fort on lockdown.

Newsfeed?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In tonight's bored, sobriety-fueled effort to find out where all the internet users went, I stumbled upon this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/what-happened-to-the-new-internet#.mtyXEzYEZ

QuoteA sort of common wisdom has congealed — and Medium has done little to dissolve it — that Medium is like a YouTube for written stories. In 2005, YouTube solved the problem of embeddable, sharable short videos; in 2014, perhaps Medium answers similar, albeit much less urgent questions: Where do you write without starting a blog, without joining a community, without writing a comment, without having access to the media? Where do you just insert your idea into the internet? If you understand the last year of Medium as a proof-of-concept phase, spent building a toolset and creating a very nice way to type words into a box, then it's already been a success. It's an increasingly attractive entry point to the semi-pro internet, a latter day WordPress that both hopes to take over written content and to get credit for it.

Possibly of interest to the writers among us.