News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Unlimited Ferguson Thread of police state nightmare fuel.

Started by Da6s, August 14, 2014, 07:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enrico Salazar

More and more, days after days, this countrys feel like Enrico is homes again.
Did someone say gorgeous?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That second one is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I do wish his lit review on search and arrest rates had some studies from more varied regions (particularly the West Coast) and included more data from within the last twenty years, though; I am curious about whether that data simply isn't available, and if so, why.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

It might be paywalled.  I think he has access to some journals, due to his work as a psychiatrist, but probably not the sort of access one would get with a University account or so on.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 27, 2014, 06:06:23 PM
It might be paywalled.  I think he has access to some journals, due to his work as a psychiatrist, but probably not the sort of access one would get with a University account or so on.

Oh, gotcha. That's unfortunate, because I would really like to see what the analysis would look like after the police force in the US became so heavily militarized and the prison systems so much more monetized.

Bruno

Oh, yay. Here come the cavalry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/us/on-rooftops-of-ferguson-volunteers-with-guns.html?_r=0

At least this guy was aware that he needed to include a "No Racists" clause in his request for help. I guess they'll just have to start their own party.

I'm hoping this somehow leads to aerial drone combat between Oathkeepers and Anonymous.
Formerly something else...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on November 30, 2014, 09:15:32 PM
Oh, yay. Here come the cavalry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/us/on-rooftops-of-ferguson-volunteers-with-guns.html?_r=0

At least this guy was aware that he needed to include a "No Racists" clause in his request for help. I guess they'll just have to start their own party.

I'm hoping this somehow leads to aerial drone combat between Oathkeepers and Anonymous.

Oh, the irony:

Quotewe have a moral obligation to protect the weakest among us.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 30, 2014, 10:47:23 PM

Oh, the irony:

Quotewe have a moral obligation to protect the weakest among us.

I don't think he meant Black people.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

The real irony here is that the Oathkeepers are bumping heads with the cops, but are on speaking terms with the protestors.

And the police seem more than a little butthurt that the public seems to trust the Oathkeepers more than the (nonexistent) trust they have for the police.

Don't get me wrong.  This isn't a good thing; it's just another failure of the infrastructure, of the same type (though smaller than) the K-Hole.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Chelagoras The Boulder

i feel kinda ambivalent about the Oathkeeper situation. I like the idea of them, but their organization smells a little too much like a bunch of gun clubs got together and decided to play a game of chicken with Big Brother. Waiting to see how this plays out.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 01, 2014, 01:05:23 AM
The real irony here is that the Oathkeepers are bumping heads with the cops, but are on speaking terms with the protestors.

And the police seem more than a little butthurt that the public seems to trust the Oathkeepers more than the (nonexistent) trust they have for the police.

Don't get me wrong.  This isn't a good thing; it's just another failure of the infrastructure, of the same type (though smaller than) the K-Hole.

I've been hearing similar things about the churches in Ferguson.

Of course, the churches have also managed this feat without guns, but either way, it's not a good sign for local government.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on December 01, 2014, 06:53:05 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 01, 2014, 01:05:23 AM

I've been hearing similar things about the churches in Ferguson.

Of course, the churches have also managed this feat without guns, but either way, it's not a good sign for local government.

Nope.  Or, in this case (as in the K-Hole), state government.
Molon Lube

LMNO