News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

ATTN, ADMIN GROUP (and anyone interested)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 11, 2014, 02:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Depends how gratuitous and frequently it occurs, as well as the nature of the imagery. 

Count Chocula

Quote from: Cain on July 16, 2014, 08:41:14 PM
as well as the nature of the imagery.

Weltburger's Dick Graffiti is considered ART.

Faust

Quote from: Delcon on July 16, 2014, 10:55:12 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 16, 2014, 08:41:14 PM
as well as the nature of the imagery.

Weltburger's Dick Graffiti is considered ART.
Its a genuine Banksy
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Q. G. Pennyworth

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Pæs

It's PD. We have an endless supply of douchnozzle.

PL is banned, though.

The Johnny

Quote from: Faust on July 16, 2014, 03:01:32 PM

No Harassment of members or real life threats (This ban has been immediate following severity in the past)

It's rethorical at this point, but i felt that the racist and homophobic remarks counted as harrassment towards specific members, that's why I wanted a ban on him.

And you can't tell me it's a dick move on my part because im doing the white knight "person in power helps powerless minority" because I'm a minority myself and I was simply trying to express solidarity.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If he was following people around making slurs against them, that would be harassment.

He was simply an offensive idiot.

One of the things I like about PD is that it strikes a reasonable medium between a complete free-for-all and one of those totalitarian Pagan forums where everyone who deviates from the script gets banned.

If we are going to make offensive derogatory terms bannable offenses, we should probably also consider the fact that both Roger and Bear used the word "retard" IN THE SAME THREAD as PL used the words "nigriss" (what even is that?) and whatever naughty gayphobic word he used in response to Gogira.

If we're going to start banning people for derogatory terms, then we should probably ban for "fag" and "retard" and also perhaps consider banning for "cishet tears". Unless what we're talking about is selective banning on the basis of the admins liking certain people and not liking others.

Personally, I think the rules are fine as they are, even though it means I have to occasionally tolerate people using words I consider offensive and ignorant from time to time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: The Johnny on July 17, 2014, 02:29:38 AM

No Harassment of members or real life threats (This ban has been immediate following severity in the past)

It's rethorical at this point, but i felt that the racist and homophobic remarks counted as harrassment towards specific members, that's why I wanted a ban on him.

And you can't tell me it's a dick move on my part because im doing the white knight "person in power helps powerless minority" because I'm a minority myself and I was simply trying to express solidarity.

We've had cases of scumbag ex boyfriends stalking girl members on this site. Had them send threatening messages. Had one or two members threaten other members kids. Threats of violence come in pretty frequently. That's more what I meant by harassment but I'm sure it's a debatable point.

Cain

I think directing slurs of those kinds against particular members (especially in a vindictive and repeatable fashion) does constitute harassment, and so is already covered by our rules.

However, there are also other options for dealing with such a person, so while it would eventually constitute a bannable offence, it probably wouldn't do so in the first instance, and of course the wishes of the target of the harassment would have to be taken into account (such as whether they are happy to put them on ignore - or are uncapable of doing so due to being an admin etc).

Language based rule-sets are tricky and complex.  I don't like tricky and complex, because it leads to rule-lawyering and increases the possibility of making an incorrect call.  Behaviour based rulesets are far easier, and as far as I can see, this sort of rule would be redundant based on the interpretation of harassment above.

Cain,
would also like it to be noted at this point he was in fact stalked for a period of about two years by a member of this site and EB&G, which constituted a number of harassing personal communications. 

Faust

Quote from: Cain on July 17, 2014, 10:01:59 AM

Cain,
would also like it to be noted at this point he was in fact stalked for a period of about two years by a member of this site and EB&G, which constituted a number of harassing personal communications.

Id forgotten about that, that's where the harassment rule came from wasn't it?

LMNO

Wasn't there also some inept IRL doxxing/doorstepping that led to harassing calls to someone's parent?

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Johnny on July 17, 2014, 02:29:38 AM

That's nice and all, but I don't think there was any powerlessness involved.

And the color of your skin has nothing to do with whether or not you were white-knighting.

I have to admit, I'm curious as to whether people would have had the same responses had PL directed some dumb made-up racial or homophobic slur against a male member of this forum.

That's a lie, I'm not actually curious. I've seen it happen before and nobody gets anywhere near that worked up.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

trix

Funny you should say that ECH, as I have the opposite opinion.  It's due to my own experiences shitting on Nigel and getting shit on back that have taught me that she can take care of herself, and thus, I refrained from insulting, trolling, and otherwise putting PL down, even after it became clear that he did understand why his words were offensive and was just trying to shit everywhere.

I didn't advocate his original ban either (until the spamming), as I agreed with Nigel's POV, but I also didn't agree strongly enough to mind if his original ban had stuck.  I guess I'm just kind of  :kingmeh: on the whole thing.

I do think much of the generated response was due to a tendency PD has sometimes, of piling on, which has less to do with gender and more to do with mob mentality.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Just to be clear, I didn't wander off because I got called "queer" or whatever (which isn't even an insult imo), I just was not up for a game of whack a troll and was very disappoint that Roger ran off because of it and won't finish the new Tuscon story.