News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

this isn;'t a sermon

Started by Horab Fibslager, June 04, 2004, 02:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horab Fibslager

it's a question, and lo, as i have breathed it and given it body and soul, so shall ye answer, as it is written, so shall it be!

or -

i watched star trek.

so there i was sitting and watchign star trek enterprise, when it struck me like a million photons that sped tward me from the magic moving picture box a short distance from me. "new world economy, an economy w/o money, an economy where everyone wins, no one loses and there is incentive to do better. but how?"

and that's the question.

how can the world have a non exploitive economy that has no currency, or barring that, has no exploitative soemthing or others. explain in five hundred million words or less.
Hell is other people.

Colonel Failure

Good question, horab. Bravo.

I'm not gonna be a work long enough to come up with a worthy answer. But I'll give the matter some thought.
All I knew, all I believed
Are crumbling images
No longer comforting me.
Scramble to reach higher ground,
Order and sanity,
Something to comfort me.

I take what is mine, and hold what is mine,
Suffocate what is mine, and bury what's mine.
Soon the water will come
And claim what is mine.
I must leave it behind,
And climb to a new place now.

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.

Tool, Flood

----------------
Do you believe
In the lies, the lies, the lies that shape your world?
Do you believe
In your own, your own, fictitious immortality?

The world won't end while you walk the earth
And when you realize that your life don't matter
You'll turn to something to help you forget
That you're only young once, old forever

And we become what we hate
(Don't think of us)

-Screeching Weasel, What We Hate[/size][/color]

gnimbley

Quote from: horabhow can the world have a non exploitive economy that has no currency, or barring that, has no exploitative soemthing or others. explain in five hundred million words or less.

They borrowed it from Santa.

null-n-void

They have those replicator thingies. Need food? Zappo. Need clothing? Zappo.

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: null-n-voidThey have those replicator thingies. Need food? Zappo. Need clothing? Zappo.
have an unexplainable desire for sex... zappo... meatloaf.
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

null-n-void

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Trollax

Resource based economy...

Not a totally utilitarian enterprise, but rather a world where produce is rated according to its efficiency in an ordered ladder of

Resources consumed in the production process in
Primary production
Secondary and tertiary production
Man Hours
Quality of life of workforce

However, said system would be enourmously complex. The simplest way would be to assign a value to each single item and add that to grand totals.

Oddly enough this makes organic and biodynamic produce cheaper, environmental solutions more desirable and energy-efficient appliances and transport solutions more-profitable...

any additions anyone?

gnimbley

DJRubberducky

Quote from: null-n-voidThey have those replicator thingies. Need food? Zappo. Need clothing? Zappo.

Better than that, from one episode of Voyager[/b] I caught, it looks like those replicators work by recycling other material.  (Matter into energy and back into matter, I suspect.)

So not only do you no longer have scarcity of desired goods, but you no longer have waste.  All those heaps and heaps of trash in our landfills could be fed into the replicator and turned into plump juicy hotdogs.

Millions of hotdogs, hotdogs for me... millions of hotdogs, hotdogs for free!
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

null-n-void

hotdog canning factories... mmm

Anonymous

in starcraft, my economies always suck. especially with terran. damn scv's

Penumbral

The unyelding need of 1) servival 2) ceriosity
In a exsistance where you could be attacked by alians at any time you need to be productive to protect yourself.
"To boldly go where no man has gone" we have this need to learn new things and once we have finished with earth we need to move on to learn.

And lastly it was just probobly taught to them by an alian race.

Lister

Quote from: Penumbral

And lastly it was just probobly taught to them by an alian race.

Probably those bloody vulcans...
I truly hate the fact that I know these things...

On a side note:
I watched some show about star trek fans the other day, and they are apparantly in inner turmoil because they can't decide whether they call themselves "Trekkies" or "Trekkers"...
Now in my language (Flemish-Dutch), "Trekkers" sorta means "someone who masturbates a lot"...
And then you see the biggest geek ever, in his custom made star trek pyjama, arguing with the second biggest geek ever, in his self-designed official star trek pyjama, that he is a Trekker and not a Trekkie.
It was mildly amusing...
When I was a little man
Playdough came in a little can
I was Star Wars' biggest fan
Now I'm stuck without a plan
GI Joe was an action man
Shaggy drove the mystery van
Devo was my favorite band
Take me back to my happy land

Horab Fibslager

when i go to treck conventions(if i were to, i've never been, tho ioen never knows), i'd argue for niether, and go for the utilitarian titlae, losers who find spandex on marina sirtis sexy even after seven years. ;)

mostly i wanted nuts and bolts. sure maybe in 50 years we'll invent warp drive thanks to interventionf rom the enterrpise after teh borg go back in time to invade earth, but in teh mean time, i reckon we can maybe come up with soemthign good ourselves. not me mind you, it's hurts my head...
Hell is other people.