News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

I HATE SOCIETY

Started by Slarti, November 21, 2003, 07:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

Guido Finucci

Quote from: Resident Trolli've decided that every problem we have ever discussed on this board is caused by SOCIETY.

They way you say that makes it sound like you're not taking a personal responsibility for those problems.

All the problems that you perceive have as much to do with the ways that you think about the world around you as they actually have to do with the world around you. If you start blaming a fictictious entity, like society, that exists out there, you fall into the trip of thinking that 'out there' isn't an illusion.

Change requires energy. The more profound a change is, the more energy it requires. Getting angry and frustated is good but if you just throw yourself into high energy states without any thought for what happens next then something will just happen. Either you'll get  frustrated that nothing is different and go completely off the planet, turning into a burnt-out wacko who can longer hold a rational conversation with anyone, or you'll just give up and settle back into the herd.

The reason that nothing is changing in your world is that the core beliefs (those ones that are locking you into this way of thinking/lokking at things) are remaining untouched by your emotional chaos. You need to pull them out, look at them and be prepared to throw them away (if you so choose). This is frightening, usually painful and (especially the first few times, before you get addicted to it) leaves you feeling like you were smacked over the head. I also occasionally find that things like depth perception usually don't work so well for a couple of days. YMMV.

I can't really tell you how to find it or make your world change but if you're up to it, try meditating on the one thing that you hold to be true above all others. Find people who diasagree with you and look like they have intelligent reasons why they do so (random calls/email to university philosophy departments and/or libraries can sometimes be useful). Try to understand what they're say. Keep going until you can no longer tell what you believe and even your gut can't decide one way or the other. Then sit down and decide for yourself what you want to believe. Biggest. High. Ever.

When a caterpillar wants to change into a butterfly, it wraps itself up into a cacoon. Inside the caterpillar dissolves itself. The result is not at all even slightly identifyable as a creature - it is just homogenous protein goop. Some magic occurs and the goop re-assembles itself into a butterfly. If you want to change your whole world from being the size of a leaf, you first have to dissolve yourself and trust that you'll reassemble into something that can flutter places you can't even conceive of now.

Good luck.

-----
Oh yeah, and don't believe anything you read - I'm full of shit too...

Slarti

you've calmed me down. thanks for the post guido, makes a lot of sense.

Guido Finucci

Don't get calm.

This happened a few weeks ago to you. It is happening again because She is telling you that it is time to stand up and be counted.

It'll keep happening until you get the message.

Guido Finucci

If you can't figure out how to get started, try doing as many trivial things differently as you can - change your brand of coffee, brush your teeth differently, catch a different bus, read the principia upside-down, back to front, insde-out or fnordwards.

Start acting different and this'll help get you into the mindset of being prepared for change. Once you do that, stuff will start to happen (so try to pay attention and go with the flow).

-----
Nope, still full of shit...

Slarti

k i'll try that. thanks for the advice.

Anonymous

I make it a point to try at least one new food every month.

Last month was tempura ice cream.

This month, I thinking of trying somthing Tai. Or Duck. I've never had duck before.

Horab Fibslager

next month try theiopian babies. i hear teh meat is uber tender from lack of excercise.

i have found happiness in slavery, and so can you.

the problem with opening your eyes too wide is getting them to close again. it''s a real menace.
Hell is other people.

Y.M. Hut

Ah Slarti, you've gone and mindfucked yourself. At least Guido's pacifying you.

You do have a point though, all this stuff we do (as Discordians), it doesn't work. That's what's great, we're just as hypocritical as those we accuse of hypocrisy. But there lies the strength of our "Discordian" society. We are a bulging paradox, we don't make sense, we aren't even real Discordians.

But the moment anyone listens to me on what Discordia is, they're truly lost.
Vielleicht sollst du nicht wissen.

Guido Finucci

That one made the quotes file  :)

The Discordian samaritan is the one who helps up their fellow who has fallen and then slaps them upside the head for thinking that 'up' is better.

Y.M. Hut

Very true, "up" is simply easier.
Vielleicht sollst du nicht wissen.

Slarti

Guido Finucci

:)

You're not looking so bad yourself.

Slarti

hey the pretty kitty dissapeared

Guido Finucci

The guys who do my hosting have been having a few hardware issues lately. They were planning an upgrade soon - this could be it....