News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

The Biology Thread

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, November 23, 2013, 03:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

So you're working with Brassica, which, we both know that we both know is broccoli/cabbage, but I'm going to look up that specific species. I don't know B. raba.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I kind of hate how fast quarters move. I mean, it's readysetGOGOGOGOGO oh god OK take three weeks off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 24, 2014, 05:06:30 AM
So you're working with Brassica, which, we both know that we both know is broccoli/cabbage, but I'm going to look up that specific species. I don't know B. raba.

Turnip.

Nigel, stop blowing my mind.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 24, 2014, 05:09:36 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 24, 2014, 05:06:30 AM

Turnip.

Nigel, stop blowing my mind.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 24, 2014, 05:09:26 AM
I kind of hate how fast quarters move. I mean, it's readysetGOGOGOGOGO oh god OK take three weeks off.

I actually appreciated the whole month I had off.

I probably would have lost my mind.

And Villager and I went on vacation last weekend on the understanding that it was, "oh god, this science thing is happening, isn't it? And I'm not going to be very free for a while!" Which is even weirder because we both already work in science as grunts (Villager has a bachelor's in history, but is working as an admin/research assistant in sleep medicine NEXT DOOR TO MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT) and well, my gig, but going, heh).  Yeah, I want to be a scientist and never a history teacher. And oddly, I'm gunning for the science, but Villager is not, as a scientist, even though she is a published scientific author (you may ask me for her name to read her articles, if you are a well established PDer).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So I am seriously considering taking geology for my 12 elective science credits. Just because I fucking love rocks. I'm supposed to take something that supports my area of interest, which would realistically be biochemistry, but I feel so fucking fried out on the micro shit already. I want to take geology.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 24, 2014, 05:18:37 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 24, 2014, 05:09:26 AM

And Villager and I went on vacation last weekend on the understanding that it was, "oh god, this science thing is happening, isn't it? And I'm not going to be very free for a while!" Which is even weirder because we both already work in science as grunts (Villager has a bachelor's in history, but is working as an admin/research assistant in sleep medicine NEXT DOOR TO MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT) and well, my gig, but going, heh).  Yeah, I want to be a scientist and never a history teacher. And oddly, I'm gunning for the science, but Villager is not, as a scientist, even though she is a published scientific author (you may ask me for her name to read her articles, if you are a well established PDer).

I'd be interested in looking at her research, I love sleep disorders!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 24, 2014, 05:21:08 AM
So I am seriously considering taking geology for my 12 elective science credits. Just because I fucking love rocks. I'm supposed to take something that supports my area of interest, which would realistically be biochemistry, but I feel so fucking fried out on the micro shit already. I want to take geology.

I finished up my science requirements in History with Astronomy, knowing full well that I was transferring to Biology. I loved that class. Given my druthers I would actually be an astrophysicist. But a combination of job opportunities in New England skewing towards biology, lack of good seeing in the city and the fact that biology is just as interesting and a better career choice...

It's kinda like the rock star thing. I dunno. My interest in science has always been, well, stellar.

But life is just as enthralling, and more challenging.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 24, 2014, 05:22:22 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 24, 2014, 05:18:37 AM

I'd be interested in looking at her research, I love sleep disorders!

Will go to google scholar, brb

Nephew Twiddleton

One thing that I will take comfort in:

My Last Name as a scientist will signal me out immediately. Apparently Villager's last name is more scientifically attested than I expected.

Nephew Twiddleton

Made more difficult by the fact that there is a published scientist with Villager first initial middle initial last name that was published before I was born. And I'm 3 years older than her.

Nephew Twiddleton

Bam. Got it. PI is a good thing to throw in. 3 articles incoming.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok, so we got Drosophilae messed up on ether, examined their sexual dimorphism and put them in an incubator for breeding purposes. Well we were supposed to brush in 8 to 10 breeding pairs. But sometimes it doesn't work like that. I had like 6 males and a bunch of females, and a few had died and were at the bottom of the nutrient medium. And of course, because this was my first time doping fruitflies I accidentally killed a few, which percentage wise worked out to be a good chunk of the males.

At least 3 males survived. I expect larvae on Tuesday.

This was a dry run, with only F1 Wild Type, for practice. Two fruitflies revived and flew off. Meh. Some of them were reviving after I transferred to the breeding vial so I put them in the morgue vial (which to the casual observer is exactly what it sounds like. It's a vial full of dead fruitflies and ethanol).

Also ether smells horrible, like 117.3 sharpies opened at once in an enclosed area.