Startup Culture's Final Form?

Started by Pæs, June 19, 2014, 07:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on June 20, 2014, 03:41:55 PM
Alright I signed up for Yo

This is the dumbest app ever, and it's hysterical

I was blasting my girlfriend with Yo's until she took away my phone

It has that "oh my god this is so dumb I immediately have to sign up and tell 10 friends" kind of feeling that I had when somebody told me about Myspace in 2003. They were like "IT'S A SITE WHERE WE CAN BE FRIENDS. NOT LIKE THE REAL WORLD, LIKE INTERNET FRIENDS. AND WHEN I POST PICTURES OF MY FACE YOU CAN COMMENT ON THEM"

at the time, we laughed, because that sounded stupid as fuck. It would never work!

Okay so my Yo name is "CRAMULUS". I expect all of you assholes to download Yo and Yo me immediately.

I, also, downloaded Yo. My friends are going to kill me. I view it as revenge for Twitter.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

TWITTER = OVER
FACEBOOK = OVER
TUMBLR = OVER
MYSPACE = OVER
WIKIPEDIA = OVER

ALL MADE REDUNDANT BY YO APP

my coworkers have gotta be getting pretty pissed at this point. My phone won't stop Yo'ing. Whatever, fuck them.

LMNO

You're a crazy asshole, and that's why I love you.

I don't know how, but you've made the dumbest app in the world actually sound appealing.

Sita

:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Yeah, but the hack made it so instead of "Yo", it looped Rick Astley.  :lol:

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Sita on June 20, 2014, 07:48:02 PM
The app has been hacked already: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459816,00.asp
Oh man, this is impressive!

Is this a generic weakness in apps or is it just that the makers of Yo decided that support for anything other than text and soundfiles would be a good idea?
No wait, I just realised that access to teh code would allow you to do anything with this that any other app could.
I has teh dumb, its a good thing i don't have a smartphone i would make every stupid mistake there is.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cramulus

WHOEVER MADE MY PHONE SAY "YO" x 10
AT 4 IN THE MORNING

TOUCHE

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Raz Tech

Quote from: The American Conservative
Yo is what happens when a creative economy spirals so far into self-parody that such distinctions are forgotten, and it takes the most absurd of reminders to reinforce them.

I've got that reminder right here: Yo

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Between Yo and the tickle-fetish conspiracy, I am loving the way the 21st century is shaping up.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 23, 2014, 08:46:59 PM
DATA BREACH.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-joke-is-on-yo-and-all-its-users/

from the article:
QuoteThe culture that produced Yo is grappling with what Nathan Jurgenson has called "digital dualism," the idea that "online" and "offline," "physical" and "digital," are meaningful and separate categories that can be mapped onto different parts of life. Yo is what happens when a creative economy spirals so far into self-parody that such distinctions are forgotten, and it takes the most absurd of reminders to reinforce them.

that's apt

Cain

And people say Yo is pointless:

QuoteThe popular mobile app "Yo" has been described as the most pointless tech start-up to recently receive major funding. The idea is like a parody of post-modern life: An app for "post-text" communication that does nothing but send the message "yo" to your friends. That's it -- and it has $1 million in funding. Now, it's been reimagined as a tool in Israel's war against Hamas.

Developed by Israeli coders, Red Alert complements the army's warning sirens that alerts Israelis to incoming rockets. Now, Red Alert has partnered with Yo to send "yo"s anytime a siren sounds in Israel. The idea is to use this form of "post-text" communication to keep users informed of events around Israel. Each time a rocket triggers the system, you get a "yo"

trix

Edited to undo the stupid threadjack.
You may return to your regularly scheduled conversation.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.