News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Meunster on November 08, 2015, 09:31:41 PM
Any philosophers that i can listen to for like 30 mintues then pick up later?  Tired of music during my car rides
Thinking that maybe some of the stoics with their bullet point listness would be good.

Not a specific philosopher, but historyofphilosophy.net (History of philosophy without any gaps) has a shedload of short podcasts with each one covering a different philosopher/school of thought starting from the very early Greek philosophers.

Listening while driving is a good idea. I may have to try it out myself on the way to/from work.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't have time to read right now, but last night on the way to the store I found a copy of Spook in a library box. I love Mary Roach.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

I finally started reading Harry Potter.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

sarah

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

themanwhocreatedjazz

I read a bit of Food of the Gods yesterday and found it pleasantly surprising. I had semi written Terence Mckenna off when he said something like 'UFO's are the human sub-consciousness masquerading in a form not to alarm us.' However I listened to some of him today and he comes across as a lot more intelligent, maybe he was having an off day when he said the UFO bollocks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: themanwhocreatedjazz on November 15, 2015, 04:04:31 PM
I read a bit of Food of the Gods yesterday and found it pleasantly surprising. I had semi written Terence Mckenna off when he said something like 'UFO's are the human sub-consciousness masquerading in a form not to alarm us.' However I listened to some of him today and he comes across as a lot more intelligent, maybe he was having an off day when he said the UFO bollocks.

I don't know, the UFO comment sounds about right to me. It sure as fuck isn't real alien abductions, so it must be some form of explanation people are coming up with for experiences or thoughts they don't know how to recognize or acknowledge for what they are.

Although it COULD be medical anthropologists from the future, here to steal our gut microbes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

So anal probing mysterious visitors in the night aren't meant to alarm me?

Terrence McKenna has led a fucked up life.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2015, 07:37:36 PM

Hey, one  man's meat, you know?

Nast

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 15, 2015, 08:17:37 PM

Or multiple men's meat, if you're into that sort of thing.  :fap:
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nast on November 15, 2015, 08:20:31 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 15, 2015, 08:17:37 PM

Or multiple men's meat, if you're into that sort of thing.  :fap:

If we're talking about me, it's all of the above and it ends in tears.

EK WAFFLR

The Collector Collector by Tibor Fischer.
"To a small flat in South London comes a Sumerian bowl: but the bowl is the Collector Collector, clay with something to say, an object d'art who will offer Rosa, its owner, vast swathes of unrecorded history from the last 5, 000 years. Meanwhile, Rosa tries to centre her life and settle the disturbances caused by an uninvited guest, Nikki. 1001 Nights meets the inner city, The Collector Collector is a comic masterpiece and unquestionably the finest novel ever narrated by a bowl."

[/b]

Cain

EK WAFFLR

It's hilarious. The bowl is one of my favourite characters in novels I've read the last few years.

[/b]