News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Discordia and Christianity

Started by Paiyaku, October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

This is much better than the last "Christian Discordian" thread we had. :)

hooplala

I haven't been able to decide if Paiyaku is a troll yet... the thought HAS crossed my mind, but I've been trying to keep in mind what has been talked about on here recently in regards to naming a new poster "troll" right away. 

It did seem to me that he/she was trying to bait us into saying that causing disorder was a valid way of expressing discordia, which started to concern me, but I am a raving paranoid, so who knows?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Quote from: Cainad on October 07, 2008, 05:56:33 PM
This is much better than the last "Christian Discordian" thread we had. :)

Yeah, I think this one really nails it.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The bit about "causing disorder" is an interesting point, and I think one worth exploring. How you define "disorder" is key... for instance, I think that many of us enjoy creative disorder very much, if it is defined as an act which breaks the monotony of an ordered routine and causes someone to think, or laugh, or both. Is disorder a "lost cat" poster with a picture of a possum? Is it a "contains sausage" sticker on a package of sausage? It might be.

Discordia merely recognizes the value of disorder in balancing the order, and vise-versa. Sometimes on a small scale, and sometimes on a large one.

Consider the largest disorder/order adjustment in our history; WWII. The Third Reich represents Destructive Order, and the Allied Forces represent Destructive Disorder. In that case, we used Destructive Disorder to balance the Destructive Order, and restore balance to the global Chao.

IMO creative disorder is very pleasing. Too much of it, however, results in things like Victorian architecture, which in turn leads to a backlash of Frank Lloyd Wright, so it is important to remember that all things must be in balance.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

\\
                                         OP, are you really just a christian who's looking for permission from God to fuck with people?

Abramelin

Dr Goofy

I don't think they are a troll I think they are young.

Paiyaku

Okay, I was reading the threads and want to say sorry for sounding like a troll. I am not a troll. I want to learn about discordia an make sure I don't misunderstand so you can tell by my questions I had a misunderstood idea about what Discordia was.
You guys say think for yourself and disorder and order is balanced and should be kept in balance. Do Discordians use disorder more than order to balance the Chao?

Jasper

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 08, 2008, 12:12:28 AM
Okay, I was reading the threads and want to say sorry for sounding like a troll. I am not a troll. I want to learn about discordia an make sure I don't misunderstand so you can tell by my questions I had a misunderstood idea about what Discordia was.
You guys say think for yourself and disorder and order is balanced and should be kept in balance. Do Discordians use disorder more than order to balance the Chao?

That varies from person to person to situation to situation.  I tend to use Orderly techniques when I want things to work right, and disorderly methods when I want to make jokes or engage in skullduggery.  Sometimes, mixing and matching gets best mileage. 

It's all about what you're trying to do.

Paiyaku

i see, so alot of the things people say on here is more for fun and joking?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Dr Goofy on October 07, 2008, 08:35:36 PM
I don't think they are a troll I think they are young.

I'd have to agree. He/She/It sounds youthful. Nothing to be ashamed of, considering the age range on this forum.

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 08, 2008, 12:12:28 AM

Heh, somebody came in here a little while ago and introduced themselves with a fake Christian "you're all evil"-preaching troll. Paranoia ensues. No worries.
Discordians do tend to favor using disorder to balance an abundance of order (from what I've seen). However, not everyone sees it as an issue of balance, since balance itself is a somewhat "orderly" concept. Some never do explain what the heck they're doing.

Jasper

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 08, 2008, 12:15:53 AM
i see, so alot of the things people say on here is more for fun and joking?

I can't say anything about that for sure either way.  I don't have a good enough sense of humor.

Paiyaku

If you guys could teach me more about discordia, that would be great. I am eager to learn, so whatever you can tell me would be nice. Can't be discordian without knowing discordia.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 08, 2008, 12:21:04 AM
If you guys could teach me more about discordia, that would be great. I am eager to learn, so whatever you can tell me would be nice. Can't be discordian without knowing discordia.

Sure you can! People do it all the time!

Also, take everything we "teach" you with a grain of salt. Unless it comes from The Good Reverend Roger, our spiritual advisor.