News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

The Audio Book of the Dead, Chapter 1 SUBMISSIONS

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 01, 2010, 04:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lies

If it's not too late to include this- A borrowed story.(Preferably printed upside down)

Up is Down

There was once a boy who walked on his hands.
This caused him to see things differently from other people.
He was able to see UNDER things. Things that were close to the earth. Small things. Intimately.
But being different from other children, he knew there was more than one way to look at things.
He didn't mind at all, being different. His life was one adventure after the other.
He had a wonderful time, examining things, finding out how they were made, and how they work.
And though many people who crossed his path were harass and frowning, from his point of view, they appeared to be smiling, and this made him very happy.
But he made people uncomfortable, they thought it was somehow wrong, that the boy should not see things their way. The RIGHT way.
They decided that he should be straightened out. They held a town meeting to determine what could be done.
They called in "Experts".
The doctor said, 'A rare case of deficiency of hypertension and heart palpitation. Lungs peculiarly unclouded, digestive system non-acid. It's obvious this young man is deprived of the manifold tastes, colours, shapes and effects of the assorted patent medicines available, and so widely enjoyed by our population"
The Psychiatrist said, 'A strange instance of psychic equilibrium or well being, highly unrealistic to say the least. An absence of Oedipal manifestations and paranoid behaviour. Obviously, his hate instincts have been suppressed!'
The sociologist said, 'A sad lack of competitive drive, incidents of concern for others, naive trust in human nature, inconceivable perceiving towards the war!'
His teacher said, 'He's always been unusual, he has to paint grass pink! And water purple! He refuses to call a fact a fact! Oh, he's not a bad boy, but with all his questions, who knows how he'll end up?'
His parents said, 'We just don't know how this happened to us. What sort of profession will he have? Isn't there some way to overcome this dreadful condition?'
So the boy was put under therapeutic therapy, given injections, simultaneous hot baths and cold showers, spun centrifugally clockwise, then counter clockwise. Put in traction. Lobotomy, frontal and backward. Given brainwashing, three times a day. Saturated with TV commercials. And red and blue radiation. The treatment went on for a prolonged period.

Finally, the boy stood up, for the first time, on his feet, what he saw, frightened him, because he found, that the opposite view of love, was hate, beauty was ugliness, individuality was conformity, plenty was poverty, understanding was prejudice, co-operation was competition, depth was superficiality, concern was indifference, truth was lies, joy was despair, and peace... was war.
He went into a spin, and landed on his hands.
THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE! We're back where we started from! He must be made to see right from wrong!
But the boy, in spite of all the "back to health" conditioning, was adamant.
He said, "If you want me to stand on my feet, you'll have to make some big changes first".

- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Placid Dingo on September 10, 2010, 10:04:03 AM
Banksy was the first artist I got really obsessivly into. I discovered him through Adbusters (culture jammers' magazine) which I was mad on at the time.

Banksy is often called a graffiti artist but it's more correct to call him part of the 'post-graffiti' movement. Where graffiti is a very specific method and style, post graffiti is a lot further reaching, including art made from wheatpaste posters, sculptures (Banksy's 'Murdered Phone Box' and 'Girl With McDonalds Balloon' are two famous examples) tiles (space invader being a prominent example), knitting, even plants.

The ideology of post graffiti is probably fairly close to graffiti; natuarlly all artists have a personal ideology, but generally there's some variation of 'reclaim/utilise public space'. Post Graffiti has becoem in some circles, a respected modern art form. Or at least, one worth spending large amounts of money on.

I'm curious about the next thing after post graffiti. There's one direction that's obvious; which is essentially the same aesthetic immitated in modern art, coming back into the gallery. But there's also a good deal of activity that seems largely related to the PG movement, both aestetically and ideologically.

Some of these include Street Theatre, Flash Mobs, Guerilla Gardening, LARPing, Whatever sf0 is, Parkour and activities such as 'Safari.'

These are all versions of reclaiming or utilising public space. They generally seek to present some kind of aestetically interesting spectacle.

But are they art?

There's no reason why not. Sticking a shark in a tank may be 'shocking' in some ways for a short while, but even more obvious attempts to troll the art community (remember 'Piss Christ'?) are failing to make long term buzz. 'Doing' as art however offers a genuine shake-up of artistic ideology.

When we're obsessed with the aesthetic more than the actual, activity itself is the artform.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Good Reverend Roger

Submissions closed. 

I'll start monkeying with this for release in June.  I wanted to do January, but there hasn't been time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Roger, I take it you're the editor for this project, yes? If you could let me know which ones of these made the cut (all of them is an acceptable answer) I can totally do the layout work for a pdf and a print version.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 22, 2012, 04:09:13 PM
Roger, I take it you're the editor for this project, yes? If you could let me know which ones of these made the cut (all of them is an acceptable answer) I can totally do the layout work for a pdf and a print version.

All of 'em.  If they don't fit, let me know and I'll get the chainsaw out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2012, 04:15:25 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 22, 2012, 04:09:13 PM

All of 'em.  If they don't fit, let me know and I'll get the chainsaw out.
It'll probably be multiple booklets that'll need to be bound together. I normally hand-sew the binding on my things when they get to that size, but we can work out something else if that's not an attractive option for you. I figure sometime in the next week or so I'll start bugging you about any imagery you were hoping to include in the illustrations and whatnot.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Suu on July 09, 2010, 04:40:42 AM
Lo-res version.

Hi-res.

http://kaousuu.net/images/destructionofcommunication.jpg

Words:

The Destruction of Communication.

Today I found out that a really good friend of mine, if not one of my best friends from high school, has died. Not just died, but killed himself for reasons unknown. This happened on June 22nd. Today's date: July 8th.

No one called me. No one shot me an email or a text message. No. I found out, 2 weeks later, via Facebook, while I noticed another one of my friends wishing him a post-mortem happy birthday.

It's finally happened, Jim. Humans have lost their drive to communicate normally thanks to good ol' Web 2.0. Somehow, it was "assumed" that I knew because of Facebook, a website I will openly admit to checking frequently, but not religiously. I don't have the time nor the energy to keep up with it, and I don't have an occupation that allows me to sit on my ass, gaining my well-fed American™ secretary spread and surf the web for hours on end, no, I chose to work in a profession that allows me to have social interaction with other primates of my species, which seems to be turning into a forgotten art.

Why did we, as a [debatable] intelligent race, allow ourselves to become hidden behind twenty inches of liquid crystal and a keyboard, and assume that this is okay?

It's NOT okay, Jim. It's not. It's costing me friendships; it's costing me the value of a face-to-face or at least voice-to-voice conversation and physical confrontations. It's costing me beautiful paper wedding invitations, newspapers and magazines. 

The future may be here, Jim, but it's not what I want.

Kaousuu/Angela Costello © 2010. Dedicated to the memory of Justin Vaughan, and the good times we had in honors and AP english in high school

Hi res link 404s, can it be re uploaded somewhere?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 30, 2010, 06:27:01 PM
Linking to remind myself to come back to it, need to do this one in PS before throwing it in with the rest of the text or it'll lose the formatting, which is half the awesome.

page 103, btw

Q. G. Pennyworth

Oh, hey, here's where the end of the thread was hiding.

146 pages, just text, and still missing the content cram linked to instead of pasting in. Holy fuck you guys are wordswordswords.

Q. G. Pennyworth

161 with cram's links, no images. Started the first of the formatting today. Probably going to end up needing a whole lot more fonts to deal with all this insanity, but that's a good thing.

I'd like some feedback on organization, when you get the chance. I feel like there are a couple of sections this can be broken up into: Dead Gods, Dead Childhoods, Dead Animals, that kind of thing. Are there any groupings like that you wanted to put in there, or should I just do whatever and hope it comes out okay?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 24, 2012, 07:44:31 PM
161 with cram's links, no images. Started the first of the formatting today. Probably going to end up needing a whole lot more fonts to deal with all this insanity, but that's a good thing.

I'd like some feedback on organization, when you get the chance. I feel like there are a couple of sections this can be broken up into: Dead Gods, Dead Childhoods, Dead Animals, that kind of thing. Are there any groupings like that you wanted to put in there, or should I just do whatever and hope it comes out okay?

Do whatchalike.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

first illustration heavy page (almost) done, just looking for a hunched over office victim to throw in the bottom left. Took some liberties with the formatting, feedback appreciated.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1692/supplicationpage.jpg

(there are, naturally, some illustration-light pages done, but those are boring and straightforward.)

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 02, 2012, 12:05:40 AM
first illustration heavy page (almost) done, just looking for a hunched over office victim to throw in the bottom left. Took some liberties with the formatting, feedback appreciated.

(there are, naturally, some illustration-light pages done, but those are boring and straightforward.)

Are those tags supposed to show up?

Would you like the hunched over office victim to match the illustration/background image you're using?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Net on March 02, 2012, 02:00:05 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 02, 2012, 12:05:40 AM

Are those tags supposed to show up?

Would you like the hunched over office victim to match the illustration/background image you're using?

Yes, they are intentional, read the very last p class.

I'd like the guy to look like he fits, it doesn't have to be exactly that antiquey highly detailed style, just not super cartoony and vectored.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Cool. I like it.

Some people may complain about legibility, but I think it's fine.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A