News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Two layers of thought

Started by tipareth, October 26, 2012, 09:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tipareth

Reverend Roadkill, you are a new breed: Trolls who get by on accusing others of trolling.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tipareth on October 29, 2012, 09:51:21 PM
Reverend Roadkill, you are a new breed: Trolls who get by on accusing others of trolling.

Yes, I am trolling PD.  I admit it.  I have been doing so since January of 2002, and it took a genius like you to expose my fiendish plan.  I in fact became an admin specifically to make this easier.  You sir, are a regular fucking SHERLOCK HOLMES, and I think everyone on this here board should take a moment to thank you.

In any case, as V3x has pointed out, we've only been having this conversation for 8 years, so there wasn't much chance you'd see it.  Of course, at no time did we holler at people to MOVE FORWARD, which explains why, despite our having written several books and pamphlets on the subject, we've made no progress at all.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to clear the checklist off...So please accuse me of the following things:

1.  Not being a REAL Discordian.
2.  Controling the minds of the other members, ala Jim Jones or with orbital mind control lasers, etc.
3.  Being an old curmudgeony bald-headed bastard.
4.  Hivemind.

Thanks in advance.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Tip i thought you were being an asshole too. Its not roger. Its you.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Tip seems like a smart guy.  He just needs to realize that there are other smart people in the room.

Know what I mean?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Salty

Quote from: tipareth on October 29, 2012, 09:51:21 PM
Reverend Roadkill, you are a new breed

You have no fucking clue.

The weirdest thing is the way he keeps the large mass of pelts* that are glued together with some kind of funky sap-looking substance in the room with him at all times. He puts it one whenever he goes out, of course. And when there's a camera in the room. But he doesn't seem to mind the complete baldness and says he's adapted to desert life quite easily, having grown a thick layer of pinkish-brown leather-like skin that sheds every October.

That's probably why you're so unsettled. It's shedding time and, I'm not afraid to say it now that you're here, but he's been getting a little...wonky. Started eating more lizards than usual. What's more whenever really smart people like you show up he...well he scares 'em right off. And he scares me too.

I still see that pelt of fur sitting there on the chair next to me at the kitchen table...like it's people. And when I asked about it the whole party got quiet and Rev. Roadkill just started spitting on everything and said he was going to go get his gun. That pelt...I see it every time I close my eyes.

Alty,
skeert.

*I can only imagine these were hand-gathered in the Canadian wild before they expelled him for lowering the bigfoot population with what can only be described as "loud, thunderous, bowel-clenching expulsions of noxious chemicals" that turned beautiful, lush greenland into what has been referred to in the media as Tar-Sand pits.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Bu🤠ns

You know...I've felt that way before...feeling like others would prefer to remain in their cyclical melodramas than find an out.  Eventually, I think, some folks get tired of it all and accept responsibility for their actions. Some  folks think their pretty darn special for figuring this out.  Other folks just grow up.  And yet other folks will continue on with the charade...over and over... until it hurts just enough to either die or fix it.

Welcome to Life™ . There are hardhats in the lobby and cookies in the kitchen.

LMNO

Ok, let's break this down a bit.

You essentially asserted that some people live under common assumptions, and then asked why they get mad when you challenge them.

"Because beliefs are tied to identity," we said.  We gave examples.

You then asked "but why?"  You followed up with an assertion that OTHER people yoked themselves to ideas, but YOU were a snowflake.

We pointed to evolutionary psychology and/or biology as a possibility, and referenced the Illuminatus! concept of "neophile".

You again asked, "why?"  Which at this point doesn't make sense, because you don't seem to be asking about evolutionary psychology, you just seem to be reiterating the previous question.  Which means that you really didn't understand the answer we gave.

It's at that point where the conversation broke down, and we started poking you with sticks.  If you had wanted to "keep the conversation going," you should have responded to the answer given, rather than ignoring it and circling back to your previous question.

So, you want to know why most people act under blanket assumptions?  Because for the most part, it works, and they've got more important things to do.  They're simply trying to get through their day, and they really don't have time to get into extensive ontological analysis of belief systems and their real-world repercussions.  Their belief systems work well enough to get by, and they'll only really be faced with the issue of changing them when it directly and severely impacts their lives, if then even.

Then there is a minority of people who act under blanket assumptions, and they do that because they see some kind of personal benefit in it, be it financial, "spiritual", or power-based.  They use the assumption as an angle to manipulate others.

The Good Reverend Roger

Saint LMNO wasting his time, ITT.

Go heal some lepers, spag!   :argh!:

LMNO

I DO IT FOR THE CHILDERN.

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 30, 2012, 01:58:33 PM
I DO IT FOR THE CHILDERN.

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

Because they're beastly things.  Won't have them in the house.

Cain

You know, I was going to write a whole big thing here about unquestioned assumptions in the OP, people having more important shit going on in their lives, not having being taught the right conceptual tools, that whining on the internet is what blogs are for etc...but then I realised this picture pretty much conveyed the message I wanted to get across:

Thank you, Randall Munroe.

LMNO

Bu🤠ns

Well I guess that's e/o/t, then.  Good work, folks

The Good Reverend Roger