News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

How best to describe Discordianism to the unaware?

Started by Patron Saint, December 17, 2012, 05:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 04:55:33 PM
cookie-cutter trolling?

Gawd-damned. There's no pleasing You People is there?

Sure there is.  We even spelled it out.

QuoteI'll try to make my comments fit your cookie box better if that's what you require to continue my de-Facebook-afication, I just don't understand why you can't see any of the genius behind them.

The comments I make are rooted in reason, sorry if I don't have the time to describe every detail of what I'm trying to express, like I said, I'm at work and my job requires a lot of mundane concentration; my mistakes cost the company money. I'll be more careful in the future when I deal with you though if that's what you're asking of me. Now I gotta go before I get fired.

Let's just cut the bullshit, shall we?  Let's just skip straight to the end.  You referred to me as "Rogie-Poo", which was designed to convey familiar contempt.  Despite the fact that you aren't familiar, the message was received.  I understood what you were trying to transmit.

So what the fuck are you complaining about? 

I mean, I don't give a shit WHAT you call me, but there's no denying what you had set out to do.  So I stopped reading right there, because I had received what you meant to convey, and thus there was no point reading any further.

And as for any "reason" that got skipped as a result, who cares?  I got the real message.  The rest was just window dressing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mr. MumboJumbo

I feel no contempt for you. I don't know you. I only know a tiny bit of your online persona, which comes off as very "hardass", so I show you a bit of that stuff as a cute way of saying "I'm not offended or feel threatened by you", but I suppose that sentiment's run it's course by now so okok.
Sorry if those words conventionally suggests contempt, I'm typically not conventional at all times, nor did I expect it to be taken so conventionally, but I suppose I should have. And I don't have a 'boner' for you...just a little tingly feeling in my belly. And I'll never stop being cute so don't request that.
Loading...Please Wait

The Good Reverend Roger

This is actually rant-worthy, come to think of it.

Steve's post began with a two-pronged insult:  The disdain thing, plus the implication that RWHN was actually me under an assumed name.  This was the heart of his message, whether or not he intended it to be.  If there actually WAS an argument later in his post, I didn't see it...Because I didn't read it, because he'd already flopped his e-penis across it with the first paragraph.

So there's a perfect example of how NOT to get an actual idea across, if that was in fact his intent (which is dubious at best).

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 05:19:39 PM
Sorry if those words conventionally suggests contempt, I'm typically not conventional at all times, nor did I expect it to be taken so conventionally, but I suppose I should have.

I can't read what's in your head.  I can only read what you actually write.  If you intend to communicate an idea, you have to write it in a manner that allows people outside of your head to understand the idea you were trying to convey.

If you start out with passive-aggressive bullshit, THAT is what will be communicated.  Your idea goes from whatever it is you were trying to say, to "I am an asshole!", and that's the end of that.  If that's what you MEANT to say, great...Otherwise, don't blame me because you torpedoed your own post.  I didn't do that shit, you did that shit.

And as for any expectation that I or anyone else will go out of our way to look past your "cuteness" because we're desperate to see the underlying genius of your message, don't hold your breath.

Mr. MumboJumbo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 05:25:52 PM
Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 05:19:39 PM
Sorry if those words conventionally suggests contempt, I'm typically not conventional at all times, nor did I expect it to be taken so conventionally, but I suppose I should have.

I can't read what's in your head.  I can only read what you actually write.  If you intend to communicate an idea, you have to write it in a manner that allows people outside of your head to understand the idea you were trying to convey.

If you start out with passive-aggressive bullshit, THAT is what will be communicated.  Your idea goes from whatever it is you were trying to say, to "I am an asshole!", and that's the end of that.  If that's what you MEANT to say, great...Otherwise, don't blame me because you torpedoed your own post.  I didn't do that shit, you did that shit.

And as for any expectation that I or anyone else will go out of our way to look past your "cuteness" because we're desperate to see the underlying genius of your message, don't hold your breath.

Noted. Thank you.
Loading...Please Wait

AFK

Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Hello Rev. What's-His-Name? (Is that Rogie-Poo or another Rev??)

Yes, I can assure you we are quite different Rev's. 

As far as selling Discordianism, I've always been of a mind it is more important to sell the meat than the packaging.  I would rather have someone who can Think For Themselves, Schmuck without operating under a label of Discordianism, as opposed to someone who is a Discordian for the sake of being a Discordian.  It is the actual meat of the philosophies that attracted me.  Or rather, it was reading the book that gave me a label for philosophies I was already following. 

And admittedtly, I'm a little against the grain on this site because I tend to have a more optimistic approach with this stuff, but I happento think there are many out there who have a nugget, or more, of this stuff at their core.  For many, they simply let it get buried by Adulthood in their chase of The American Dream.  So in that respect, it isn't about converting anyone, it's about rediscovering and reawakening something that is already there, just dormant.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 16, 2013, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 16, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Hello Rev. What's-His-Name? (Is that Rogie-Poo or another Rev??)

Yes, I can assure you we are quite different Rev's. 

Balls.  I checked just last week, and you were me.

QuoteAs far as selling Discordianism, I've always been of a mind it is more important to sell the meat than the packaging.  I would rather have someone who can Think For Themselves, Schmuck without operating under a label of Discordianism, as opposed to someone who is a Discordian for the sake of being a Discordian.  It is the actual meat of the philosophies that attracted me.  Or rather, it was reading the book that gave me a label for philosophies I was already following. 

Nail/head.

QuoteAnd admittedtly, I'm a little against the grain on this site because I tend to have a more optimistic approach with this stuff,

And that's the other thing.  That's YOUR Discordia.  Mine is different...But neither is wrong.  It's like the old relativity example of dropping a golf ball out of the window of a moving car.  To the person in the car, it drops in a straight line to the ground.  To the observer outside the car, it descends in a parabolic arc.  Both are right, based on where they stand.

To the observer FURTHER down the street, the golf ball gets really big before it whacks him right between the eyes, killing him stone dead for no good reason.

And HE'S right, too.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 15, 2013, 04:39:06 PM
Quote from: Mr. MumboJumbo on January 15, 2013, 04:35:08 PM
It's not pretending it's something it's not, it's creatively highlighting whatever will get people's foot in the door, so that they may eventually shed their former selves, and be more like you :)

Nobody needs another TGRR.  Especially not me.  Unless you cloned me, in which case I'd never leave the fucking house.  I don't WANT people to be like me, and I hope YOU DON'T, EITHER.

No.  I want people to be themselves.  On someone else's planet.

And if they can't be themselves, then Discordia will be of no use to them, and they'd FUCK IT UP FOR ME, because there'd be RULES and shit all of a sudden, and I wouldn't be able to shit in the poorbox anymore.

Using this somewhere else tonight.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 09:26:18 PM
It's not pretending it's something it's not, it's creatively highlighting whatever will get people's foot in the door, so that they may eventually shed their former selves, and be more like you :)

Nobody needs another TGRR.  Especially not me.  Unless you cloned me, in which case I'd never leave the fucking house.  I don't WANT people to be like me, and I hope YOU DON'T, EITHER.

And if they can't be themselves, then Discordia will be of no use to them, and they'd FUCK IT UP FOR ME, because there'd be RULES and shit all of a sudden, and I wouldn't be able to shit in the poorbox anymore.

:lulz:
I hope you'll send me the link.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 09:37:10 PM

Scrubgenius.   :sad:

But I think I could have fun on FB with most of the shit in this thread.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 05:38:00 PM
And that's the other thing.  That's YOUR Discordia.  Mine is different...But neither is wrong.  It's like the old relativity example of dropping a golf ball out of the window of a moving car.  To the person in the car, it drops in a straight line to the ground.  To the observer outside the car, it descends in a parabolic arc.  Both are right, based on where they stand.

To the observer FURTHER down the street, the golf ball gets really big before it whacks him right between the eyes, killing him stone dead for no good reason.

And HE'S right, too.

Also this one.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I feel a sermon coming on.

SHUT UP SHUT UP GET BACK IN YOUR FUCKING COFFIN.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 09:37:47 PM

Try it on Burners!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 09:48:01 PM

Try it on Burners!

WOOO WOOOO

TONIGHT.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 09:51:38 PM
Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 09:48:01 PM

Try it on Burners!

WOOO WOOOO

TONIGHT.

Excellent  :lulz:

I am going to try to spend then next six hours doing work I was supposed to do over the weekend, but I will be fucking around on Facebook later tonight.