News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

TERRORISTS WIN: NYC "stop & frisk" curtailed.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 12, 2013, 04:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/12/19988825-stop-and-frisk-police-tactic-violated-constitutional-rights-federal-judge-says?lite

QuoteThe New York Police Department's "stop and frisk" tactic, under which millions of mostly black and Hispanic people have been questioned by police over the past decade, has violated constitutional rights, a federal judge ruled Monday.

The judge, Shira Scheindlin of Manhattan federal court, ordered an independent monitor to oversee the program. She pointedly did not order an end to the tactic.

Oh, wait.  She said it was wrong, but isn't going to stop it.

QuoteScheindlin stressed that she was not halting the "stop and frisk" practice, only trying to make sure that it was carried out in a way that protects the liberties and rights of New Yorkers.

MOVING NEW YORK TO NORTH KOREA, BRB.

QuoteShe appointed an outside lawyer to study the program and report back to the court, and to issue public reports every six months.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

SUCK IT, TERRORISTS!

Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on August 12, 2013, 04:16:12 PM
I... what? No, come on  :horrormirth:

It's wrong.  So we say it's wrong, and have some oversight over doing it wrong.

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE.
Molon Lube

Aucoq

Quote"Many police practices may be useful for fighting crime — preventive detention or coerced confessions, for example," she wrote, "but because they are unconstitutional they cannot be used, no matter how effective."

QuoteScheindlin stressed that she was not halting the "stop and frisk" practice,. . .

:lulz: :lulz: :horrormirth:

What I don't get is if you care so little for the constitution and our rights that you genuinely say "it's unconstitutional, but fuck it lets do it anyways" then why not just lie and say it's constitutional?  So that it won't go to a higher court where the chances of it getting stopped altogether are higher?
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 04:13:05 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/12/19988825-stop-and-frisk-police-tactic-violated-constitutional-rights-federal-judge-says?lite

QuoteThe New York Police Department's "stop and frisk" tactic, under which millions of mostly black and Hispanic people have been questioned by police over the past decade, has violated constitutional rights, a federal judge ruled Monday.

The judge, Shira Scheindlin of Manhattan federal court, ordered an independent monitor to oversee the program. She pointedly did not order an end to the tactic.

QuoteScheindlin stressed that she was not halting the "stop and frisk" practice, only trying to make sure that it was carried out in a way that protects the liberties and rights of New Yorkers.

QuoteShe appointed an outside lawyer to study the program and report back to the court, and to issue public reports every six months.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

SUCK IT, TERRORISTS!

WHAT THE FUCK!?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 04:37:33 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 04:13:05 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED.

SUCK IT, TERRORISTS!

WHAT THE FUCK!?

The government - all 3 branches - continues to be horrible because they no longer know how to do anything else.

Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

How, exactly, does one set up an oversight structure to monitor violations of my 4th Amendment rights in a way that protects my 4th Amendment rights? This government isn't even doublespeaking anymore. It's all just utter nonsense now. Turns out Orwell didn't go FAR ENOUGH in his portrayal of our dystopian future.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: V3X on August 12, 2013, 06:35:23 PM
How, exactly, does one set up an oversight structure to monitor violations of my 4th Amendment rights in a way that protects my 4th Amendment rights? This government isn't even doublespeaking anymore. It's all just utter nonsense now. Turns out Orwell didn't go FAR ENOUGH in his portrayal of our dystopian future.

Well, they're going to have this one lawyer guy follow the police around.

Oh, wait, no, they're just going to tell him that all their searches were legal, and he's going to say "Okay".
Molon Lube

Random Probability

Part of the judges ruling was to make cops in one precinct in each burrough (now I'm thinking of Hobbits) wear body cameras.  It will be interesting to compare the stop-and-frisks in those precincts with everywhere else.

Is it even possible to cherry pick this and put the cameras in places where it won't matter?  I mean, it is still New York after all, but I can see the intention here going horribly awry in the implementation.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Random Probability on August 12, 2013, 07:58:36 PM
Part of the judges ruling was to make cops in one precinct in each burrough (now I'm thinking of Hobbits) wear body cameras.  It will be interesting to compare the stop-and-frisks in those precincts with everywhere else.

Is it even possible to cherry pick this and put the cameras in places where it won't matter?  I mean, it is still New York after all, but I can see the intention here going horribly awry in the implementation.

Fact is, the judge didn't think the 4th amendment was as important as "public safety".
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 12, 2013, 11:39:27 AM
While not related, both seem very relevant:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/diy-stalker-boxes-spy-on-wi-fi-users-cheaply-and-with-maximum-creep-value/

QuoteYou may not know it, but the smartphone in your pocket is spilling some of your deepest secrets to anyone who takes the time to listen. It knows what time you left the bar last night, the number of times per day you take a cappuccino break, and even the dating website you use. And because the information is leaked in dribs and drabs, no one seems to notice. Until now.

Enter CreepyDOL, a low-cost, distributed network of Wi-Fi sensors that stalks people as they move about neighborhoods or even entire cities. At 4.5 inches by 3.5 inches by 1.25 inches, each node is small enough to be slipped into a wall socket at the nearby gym, cafe, or break room. And with the ability for each one to share the Internet traffic it collects with every other node, the system can assemble a detailed dossier of personal data, including the schedules, e-mail addresses, personal photos, and current or past whereabouts of the person or people it monitors.

Short for Creepy Distributed Object Locator, CreepyDOL is the brainchild of 27-year-old Brendan O'Connor, a law student at the University of Wisconsin at Madison and a researcher at a consultancy called Malice Afterthought. After a reading binge of science fiction novels, he began wondering how the growing ubiquity of mobile computing was affecting people's ability to remain anonymous, or at least untracked or unidentified, as they went about their work and social routines each day.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/no-this-isnt-a-scene-from-minority-report-this-trash-can-is-stalking-you/

QuoteRenew, the London-based marketing firm behind the smart trash cans, bills the Wi-Fi tracking as being "like Internet cookies in the real world" (see the promotional video below). In a press release, it boasts of the data-collection prowess of the cans' embedded Renew "ORB" technology, which captures the unique media access control (MAC) address of smartphones that belong to passersby. During a one-week period in June, just 12 cans, or about 10 percent of the company's fleet, tracked more than 4 million devices and allowed company marketers to map the "footfall" of their owners within a 4-minute walking distance to various stores.

I'd guess that either of these could take off and be incredibly profitable within the near future. Given that the NSA seems to have access to practically everything anyway, these would be a cracking tools for them to use in urban areas.

Add 10 years. There's a black box on most corners and anyone who gets a text with a trigger word gets monitored for X period of time. Cops can pick exactly when to search for maximum sentencing probabilities. Cameras matter little if you know what you're going to find. It's even easier than putting it there yourself.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

McGrupp

It's times like this where putting googly eyes on everything I can find seems like a very reasonable response.

Doktor Howl

And then...

AND THEN...

AND THEN...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/12/19988825-bloomberg-lashes-out-at-judges-ruling-that-nypd-tactic-amounts-to-racial-profiling?lite

Quote"Our police officers follow the law and follow the crime," Bloomberg said from City Hall on Monday afternoon. "They fight crime wherever crime is occurring. And they don't worry if their work doesn't match up to a census chart."

AND AND AND

QuoteScheindlin said she was trying to make sure that it was carried out in a way that protects the liberties and rights of New Yorkers.

Bloomberg said the program needs to proceed without what he called micromanaging and second-guessing.

AND AND AND

QuoteAsked whether the appeal might stretch into next year, and whether "stop and frisk" might therefore continue as is until the next mayor takes office, Bloomberg answered: "Boy, I hope so. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a lot of people dying."

Molon Lube

Ben Shapiro

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAAAHAAHAAH

AT LEAST YOU GUYS HAVE REALLY REALLY REALLY REAL PIZZA AND BAGELS RIGHT??!?!?

AHAHAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA