News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Colbertgasm

Started by Cramulus, January 29, 2008, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Telarus

burnstoupee: That was LULZtastic!

My piece was designed to be printable so we can mail our Third Outer Head some copies from random locals. I've come up with one poster design, and I could really use feedback, yo (yah, that was directed @ everybody)....

-Telarus, KSC
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Telarus on February 11, 2008, 04:27:27 AM
burnstoupee: That was LULZtastic!

My piece was designed to be printable so we can mail our Third Outer Head some copies from random locals. I've come up with one poster design, and I could really use feedback, yo (yah, that was directed @ everybody)....

-Telarus, KSC

That is a beautiful thing!!

Darth Cupcake

I am super excited about this Colbergasm thing. I'm getting a bunch of letters prepped to be mailed. I don't have much to do Saturday, so I might drive around to different towns in the area to drop letters in the mail from different locations. :D

That animated Colbert thing is GENIUS, btw.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cramulus

Alright guys, we've gotta do some thinking re: this

"ME" in this is my buddy HAL PHILLIPS who has a friend who works at the Daily Show.

QuoteMe: Hey, Zach?
I have a question.
Zach: shoot
Me: You interned at the Daily Show, right?
Zach: yes
Me: Do you happen to know who reads fan mail?
Like, would Jon Stewart read it himself?
Zach: probably not, no
Me: You think it's like, they'd pass it on to him if it seemed notable, but throw generic "you're so great" stuff in the trash?
Sent at 11:26 AM on Monday
Zach: yeah, i mean, it all depends
most of the fanmail is from legit crazy people
or people who want to send in story ideas
Me: Oh, yeah, I don't mean like people who wanna submit.
Zach: "this crazy thing happened in my town and it would be cool if you did a piece on it!"
Me: I mean like "I'm your biggest fan, I've followed your career since blah blah blah"
Zach: there was this one woman with brain damage who would send jon these long diary entries with pretty grotesque photos
Me: haha
Zach: yeah, there are lots of those standard fanmail letters
Me: Did he see the brain-damaged diary entries?
Or does someone else go through that and just chuck it?
Zach: i don't think he ever really sees them
he might glance quickly, but they mostly go to his assistant
Me: Hm, OK
Thanks man
Zach: why do you ask?
did you send photos of your brain surgery to jon stewart?
(yes, i saw those)
Me: Nah... a friend of mine wanted to send fan mail and thought they'd be more likely to actually read it if it was snail mail.
And I was just wondering if they actually do see it.
If I DO have brain surgery, though, I'll definitely send in photos.
Zach: honestly, unless there's something of value to say.. fanmail is seen as nice, but kind of pointless
if he wants to send something, he should call the main number and ask what the best bet is
i forget the main number's desk, though
Me: Cool.
That's what I wanted to know... thanks man!

discuss

LMNO

Not much to discuss... As far as I understood it, we pretty much figured he didn't read the mail himself, and it was filled with crazy people.

That's why I thought the point was to get many, many people sending in similar stuff at about the same time, so the person sorting it would suddenly find dozens upon dozens of letters delaring Colbert/Stewart discordian Princes, or Illuminati heads, or something.

One or two letters would be discarded, but stacks of them...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on February 11, 2008, 06:16:24 PM
Not much to discuss... As far as I understood it, we pretty much figured he didn't read the mail himself, and it was filled with crazy people.

That's why I thought the point was to get many, many people sending in similar stuff at about the same time, so the person sorting it would suddenly find dozens upon dozens of letters delaring Colbert/Stewart discordian Princes, or Illuminati heads, or something.

One or two letters would be discarded, but stacks of them...

My thought as well... Jakes are notoriously difficult to impact anyone with 'people' and 'assistants', unless there's unusual quantities...

Another thought, Stewart and Colbert are currently (at least they appear to be) starved for content.

Cain

Everyone involved should be mailing 15 or so pieces.  Start with one, then send two, then three etc each day after each the other.  Steadily increase the volume.

Naturally, I can't help, because there is no fucking way I am sending fan mail from the UK, but have you mentioned any of this to the Facebook Discordians?

tyrannosaurus vex

1. Writers' strike will end in a month or so. Get on this quick.
2. Why would the Illuminati be sending correspondence to a publicly available address, to be read by some semi-anonymous/unimportant intern?
3. We need a locker at Grand Central Station, a pair of sneakers, a post-it note, two (authentic) bottles of kindergarten-grade paste from 1977, and a physical object of emotional significance for each of the two targets.

Seriously: if 10 of us send letters, even if it amounts to 200 pieces of mail, it will be plainly evident that there are probably only 10 people involved since every piece of mail is postmarked at the point of origin. Better plan: send mail from locations with different originating post offices, or even better, send a ready-to-mail letter to each of 15 friends all in different cities and have them drop their letters in mailboxes where they live.

We also need to conspire on the topic of return addresses, since sometimes mail will not be delivered without a return address. I suggest we pick some off-the-wall return address and have everyone put that return address on their letters. At the very least, this will prove that there is a link between all the letters.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Triple Zero

Quote from: vexati0n on February 11, 2008, 06:38:52 PM
3. We need a locker at Grand Central Station, a pair of sneakers, a post-it note, two (authentic) bottles of kindergarten-grade paste from 1977, and a physical object of emotional significance for each of the two targets.

?

QuoteSeriously: if 10 of us send letters, even if it amounts to 200 pieces of mail, it will be plainly evident that there are probably only 10 people involved since every piece of mail is postmarked at the point of origin.

not using 10 identical envelopes will also aid in this, btw.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on February 11, 2008, 06:38:52 PM
1. Writers' strike will end in a month or so. Get on this quick.
2. Why would the Illuminati be sending correspondence to a publicly available address, to be read by some semi-anonymous/unimportant intern?

Seriously: if 10 of us send letters, even if it amounts to 200 pieces of mail, it will be plainly evident that there are probably only 10 people involved since every piece of mail is postmarked at the point of origin. Better plan: send mail from locations with different originating post offices, or even better, send a ready-to-mail letter to each of 15 friends all in different cities and have them drop their letters in mailboxes where they live.

We also need to conspire on the topic of return addresses, since sometimes mail will not be delivered without a return address. I suggest we pick some off-the-wall return address and have everyone put that return address on their letters. At the very least, this will prove that there is a link between all the letters.

IAWTC

Mail from different post offices should help, getting lots of people involved would also be great, maybe we should start posting on MySpace/Facebook/LJ today.

I can take on LJ and MySpace, but I have no facebook account.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Hi Telarus.

I appreciate your efforts in helping get the word out about Colbertgasm. Here's a sampling of what I thought of in response to your poster.

What reaction do you want people to have when they see it? I'm a bit confused as to what you were going for.

Why are the seals floating in space between type in image? Is that cuneiform? What purpose does it serve? Why does Colbert have all those buttons on? What message are you trying to send with them? Who is your audience for the poster?

I think you should have one headline that's clearly a headline, (if you have more to say, make that a subhead) and something tangible that you want people to do (visit the Colbertgasm wiki at the very least?). Right now everything is a bit jumbled together, which doesn't seem to fit with the well-oiled conspiracy that is the Illuminati.

Also, consider the aims of Colbertgasm. I don't think Colbert + Illuminati = Colbertgasm. It's more specific than that.

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

GASM/ELF recruitment messages have gone out to three LJ groups, two MySpace groups, the Pranksters class at maybelogic.net and to a couple Discordian bloggers that have a decent readership. 23AE seems to be throwing errors whenever I try to post there.

Also, note the new ColbertGASM sig creator:

http://www.theinvisiblecollege.com/colbertgasm/colbertgasm.php

Telarus

Quote from: Netaungrot on February 11, 2008, 07:29:42 PM
Hi Telarus.

Hey! Nice to meet you Net.

QuoteI appreciate your efforts in helping get the word out about Colbertgasm. Here's a sampling of what I thought of in response to your poster.

What reaction do you want people to have when they see it? I'm a bit confused as to what you were going for.
Glad to have found some active OM agents!     Srsly? Purely a fit of artistic gnosis. The pic comes from his campaign media (found it on some men's magazine website where I found his "college nickname"). The thing's a seriously layered photoshop file right now, and as such is totally modular. Intent going into this was to work with the colbert media I found on the net, and the concept of inducting him into the Illuminati. This would be less advertisement for the GASM as an actual piece of the mailing material. What would your reaction be to getting 20-30 of these with your face on them? LoL. And as I've mention to tosk, if I know colbert's character well enough, all this random correspondence we're sending him should have his own picture all over it.

QuoteWhy are the seals floating in space between type in image? Is that cuneiform? What purpose does it serve? Why does Colbert have all those buttons on? What message are you trying to send with them? Who is your audience for the poster?
I'll take the button question first: As my poster(s?) will be cut-up/collage I wanted to use an immediately recognizable, fairly recent image of him. The raised-eyebrow smirk is what he sells, along with media buzz, and the button-armored colbert, selling that smirk is _why_ we're inducting him into the Illuminati. I've seeded his chest with a few pyramids [obvious], a few other faces (weishaupt, crowley, raw) [obscure], and if you examine this image with an image manip. program you'll see a kallisti.apple in the masonic button [srsly obscure]. The random text and runes, and geoetic circles are eye candy and there to distract any haphazard audience from the real message (the title, plus the buttons), and to give it a rubber-stamped official type look.

QuoteI think you should have one headline that's clearly a headline, (if you have more to say, make that a subhead) and something tangible that you want people to do (visit the Colbertgasm wiki at the very least?). Right now everything is a bit jumbled together, which doesn't seem to fit with the well-oiled conspiracy that is the Illuminati.

Also, consider the aims of Colbertgasm. I don't think Colbert + Illuminati = Colbertgasm. It's more specific than that.
This is excellent advice, thanks for being my editor for the moment, Net! I agree that subtitle should be shrunk down (I just came up with the Illuminati saying by spinning one of the Pentabarf commandments, but it really works if you read it as if you were colbert). As to your other points, should I whip one up that invites people to the colbertGasm wiki? if so what should it say, and where?

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!