News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Was Douglas Adams a Discordian?

Started by Dimocritus, August 01, 2009, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

Let's speculate because he's dead and can't confirm/deny anything.

His "Trilogy" contained five books.

"Adams" has five letters.

He had an unhealthy belief (real or fictional) that dolphins were more intelligent than the general public (see: Illuminatus! Howard the dolphin).

Plus his sense of humor mirrors that of many "Discordians."

Anything else to add?
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Requia ☣

Similar jokes, none of the same ideas.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Dimocritus

Well, obviously it has far less philosophical references, but that's mainly because it was based on a completely fictional pretext.

I would also like to point out that the "Heart of Gold" (infinite probability drive=chaos) could be a reference to the golden apple.

I will also assert that Zaphod Beeblebrox is the very essence of an intergalactic Dicordian movement.

And, Wonko the Sane has five letters in his first name.  

the last yatto

if discordia is the bowl of tulips, he is the whale
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BADGE OF HONOR

You're missing the point of the Law of Fives.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cain

He was part of the hacking community in the 80s, where more than a few references to Discordianism could be found...but mainly what Badges said.

Also, I used to live in the same town as Adams.  Which is less than 20 miles from where Terry Pratchett used to live.

Payne

Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 01, 2009, 07:27:09 PM
Well, obviously it has far less philosophical references, but that's mainly because it was based on a completely fictional pretext.

So is Discordianism.....

ZOMG, DOUGY ADAMS WAS ONE OF US!

Hi-5

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2009, 09:23:10 PM
He was part of the hacking community in the 80s, where more than a few references to Discordianism could be found...but mainly what Badges said.

Also, I used to live in the same town as Adams.  Which is less than 20 miles from where Terry Pratchett used to live.
So DNA probably knew about Discordianism (and the Church of the Subgenius). Got a laugh from it. But didn't really really believe in it. From reading Salmon of Doubt I'd say that he was more influenced by Richard Dawkins and Richard Attenborough than any Discordian works.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Triple Zero

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 01, 2009, 10:41:49 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2009, 09:23:10 PM

So DNA probably knew about Discordianism (and the Church of the Subgenius). Got a laugh from it. But didn't really really believe in it. From reading Salmon of Doubt I'd say that he was more influenced by Richard Dawkins and Richard Attenborough than any Discordian works.

This.

He was a great guy, with great ideas. But his personal philosophy. judging from the Salmon of Doubt, seemed to lie more in the regions of environmentalism and atheism.

Most importantly, I think you can tell from the lack of pranksterism in his writings/personality.

Unlike Richard Feynmann, who had (has?) all the prankster characteristics, but after having read "surely you're joking" I'm convinced he wasnt really discordian either, maybe subconscious, but he never seemed to connect a few dots between his pranks and the think for yourself / question authority business. Too much of an exact scientist, too little introspection/philosophy. Or something like that. Got a bit caught up in the "question authority" prison, IMO, pranking authority for the sake of it, when going along for a littlebit might have caused greater effect.

I M O
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

I'm sure you could draw up a whole list of famous people who had aspects to them which are a little "Discordian-esque" or otherwise had qualities or ideas that Discordians could approve of.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on August 02, 2009, 01:46:29 PM
I'm sure you could draw up a whole list of famous people who had aspects to them which are a little "Discordian-esque" or otherwise had qualities or ideas that Discordians could approve of.

I suppose this is the purpose of dubbing others as "Discordian Saints"

Cain

Indeed.  We could always draw up a list of Saints, I guess.  It'll be hella long and contnetious, though.

Cain,
remembers the sainting of Bush started off the Civil War

Payne

Telarus

I declared DA as St. Adams of The Towel (also small furry hats), when he passed.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Dimocritus

Quote from: Telarus on August 02, 2009, 11:00:44 PM
I declared DA as St. Adams of The Towel (also small furry hats), when he passed.

:D