News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

What book inspired Dorian Gray to taint his soul??

Started by tpc: Zelath, September 26, 2009, 02:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpc: Zelath

Hi guys..

Just finnished the picture of dorian gray (by that bittersweet oscar wilde) and i do wonder what book is it that dorian read and got in such many copies, rebound in different clors and gave a lot of guilt for tainting his soul.. it do intrigue me indeed - i mena it sounds all worth a read.. thought you guys woulda be into this kinda topic - so any guesses or knowings bout what book this might be bout!?  :kingmeh:

Telarus

via Wikipedia

Dorian Gray's "poisonous French novel" that leads to his downfall is believed to be Joris-Karl Huysmans' novel À rebours. Literary critic Richard Ellmann writes:

Wilde does not name the book but at his trial he conceded that it was, or almost, Huysmans's A Rebours...To a correspondent he wrote that he had played a 'fantastic variation' upon A Rebours and some day must write it down. The references in Dorian Gray to specific chapters are deliberately inaccurate.[18]

18 - Ellmann, Oscar Wilde (Vintage, 1988) p.316
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

That seems likely.  Wilde loved that book, considered it the apotheosis of decadence in art.

LMNO