News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the future discordian

Started by fomenter, April 25, 2009, 07:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomenter

i was reading the formative books thread and have noticed that a bunch of us included Encyclopedia Brown,
i haven't heard anything about these books or run into anyone that has mentioned reading them since i was a kid,
and now all of a sudden a bunch of you spags list them as formative books, and i am wondering why the connection? is it the books are more popular/common than i think? or is there something about reading them at a young age that makes the person more likely to be an alternative type thinker?
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Yeah, I burnt through those @ an early age. (Haven't went through the Formative Literature thread yet). They were well written mysteries (meaning the author gave enough clues for the reader to figure it out).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

fomenter

i read them all at an early age too, i don't remember them being that popular,    its nice if they are/were.
they seem like the kind of books that encouraged thinking in a way that i don't see any new kids books doing (parents can correct me)
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Iason Ouabache

It may have to do with their constant focus on lateral thinking. Or as Nigel said, they were just extremely popular in the 70s and 80s. I need to reread some of them to see if I can connect the fnords.  :fnord:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

fomenter

ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN
by Donald J. Sobol

Titles in Order of Publication:

Book 1, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN: Boy Detective .
Book 2, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE SECRET PITCH
Book 3, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN FINDS THE CLUES
Book 4, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN GETS HIS MAN
Book 5, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SOLVES THEM ALL.
Book 6, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN KEEPS THE PEACE
Book 7, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SAVES THE DAY
Book 8, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN TRACKS THEM DOWN
Book 9, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SHOWS THE WAY
Book 10, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN TAKES THE CASE 
Book 11, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN LENDS A HAND
Book 12, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE DEAD EAGLES
Book 13, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE MIDNIGHT VISITOR
Book 14, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN CARRIES ON
Book 15, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SETS THE PACE.
Book 16, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE MYSTERIOUS HANDPRINTS
Book 17, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE TREASURE HUNT 
Book 18, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE DISGUSTING SNEAKERS
Book 19, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE TWO SPIES
Book 20, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF PABLO'S NOSE
Book 21, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE SASE OF THE SLEEPING DOG
Book 22, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE SLIPPERY SALAMANDER
Book 23, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE JUMPING FROGS

23 books in the series  :omg: 

hmroogp

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on April 25, 2009, 07:29:33 PM
i was reading the formative books thread and have noticed that a bunch of us included Encyclopedia Brown,
i haven't heard anything about these books or run into anyone that has mentioned reading them since i was a kid,
and now all of a sudden a bunch of you spags list them as formative books, and i am wondering why the connection? is it the books are more popular/common than i think? or is there something about reading them at a young age that makes the person more likely to be an alternative type thinker?

I loved 'em when I was a kid.

But he never scored with his sidekick.

:sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on April 26, 2009, 05:20:28 PM
ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN
by Donald J. Sobol

Titles in Order of Publication:

Book 1, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN: Boy Detective .
Book 2, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE SECRET PITCH
Book 3, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN FINDS THE CLUES
Book 4, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN GETS HIS MAN
Book 5, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SOLVES THEM ALL.
Book 6, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN KEEPS THE PEACE
Book 7, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SAVES THE DAY
Book 8, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN TRACKS THEM DOWN
Book 9, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SHOWS THE WAY
Book 10, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN TAKES THE CASE 
Book 11, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN LENDS A HAND
Book 12, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE DEAD EAGLES
Book 13, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE MIDNIGHT VISITOR
Book 14, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN CARRIES ON
Book 15, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN SETS THE PACE.
Book 16, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE MYSTERIOUS HANDPRINTS
Book 17, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE TREASURE HUNT 
Book 18, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE DISGUSTING SNEAKERS
Book 19, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE TWO SPIES
Book 20, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF PABLO'S NOSE
Book 21, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE SASE OF THE SLEEPING DOG
Book 22, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE SLIPPERY SALAMANDER
Book 23, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE CASE OF THE JUMPING FROGS

23 books in the series  :omg: 

24.  You forgot the little known

Book 24, ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN AND THE BAD TOUCH

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

fomenter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 27, 2009, 03:35:18 AM

he definitely should have  :lulz: the girl beat up the Meany gang bullies, how could he resist

hmroogp

LMNO

My guess is that being interested in thinking outside of a classroom context started early for many future Discordians.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Roger! He was 11!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2009, 09:46:22 PM

Roger! He was 11!

Exactly.

TGRR,
Was a horndawg by that age.

Malakh7

Wow this is nutz, Encyclopedia Brown were the first books I ever read as a kid and I devoured them like crazy.
Malakh7
Mal-7, or Malcalypse the very very very very very younger
High Priest of the Esoteric Order of Hot Saucery
Techno-Shaman Artist
Chaos Magickian
Quantum Physics Reality Engineer
Etc, etc, etc.
Yada yada bing bing woop woop zing!

"The human race will begin solving it's problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously." Principia Discordia #00074