News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

As America continues to regress into irrationality...

Started by Cain, March 18, 2017, 10:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

...it's only fit that it brings back medieval tortures for no good reason

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/florida-wont-charge-prison-guards-who-boiled-schizophrenic-black-man-darren-rainey-to-death-9213190

QuoteOn June 23, 2012, Darren Rainey, a schizophrenic man serving time for cocaine possession, was thrown into a prison shower at the Dade Correctional Institution. The water was turned up top 180 degrees — hot enough to steep tea or cook Ramen noodles.

As punishment, four corrections officers — John Fan Fan, Cornelius Thompson, Ronald Clarke and Edwina Williams — kept Rainey in that shower for two full hours. Rainey was heard screaming "Please take me out! I can't take it anymore!" and kicking the shower door. Inmates said prison guards laughed at Rainey and shouted "Is it hot enough?"

Rainey died inside that shower. He was found crumpled on the floor. When his body was pulled out, nurses said there were burns on 90 percent of his body. A nurse said his body temperature was too high to register with a thermometer. And his skin fell off at the touch.

But in an unconscionable decision, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle's office announced Friday that the four guards who oversaw what amounted to a medieval-era boiling will not be charged with a crime.

Salty

Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2017, 10:05:16 PM
...it's only fit that it brings back medieval tortures for no good reason

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/florida-wont-charge-prison-guards-who-boiled-schizophrenic-black-man-darren-rainey-to-death-9213190

QuoteOn June 23, 2012, Darren Rainey, a schizophrenic man serving time for cocaine possession, was thrown into a prison shower at the Dade Correctional Institution. The water was turned up top 180 degrees — hot enough to steep tea or cook Ramen noodles.

As punishment, four corrections officers — John Fan Fan, Cornelius Thompson, Ronald Clarke and Edwina Williams — kept Rainey in that shower for two full hours. Rainey was heard screaming "Please take me out! I can't take it anymore!" and kicking the shower door. Inmates said prison guards laughed at Rainey and shouted "Is it hot enough?"

Rainey died inside that shower. He was found crumpled on the floor. When his body was pulled out, nurses said there were burns on 90 percent of his body. A nurse said his body temperature was too high to register with a thermometer. And his skin fell off at the touch.

But in an unconscionable decision, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle's office announced Friday that the four guards who oversaw what amounted to a medieval-era boiling will not be charged with a crime.

God damned fucking animal. What kind of sub-human fails so hard to even attempt justice. The DA's website says JUSTICE STARTS HERE next to this woman's FACE. What a god damned farce.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Wizard Joseph

Happened in 2012, before the derp became official policy. Imagine how it's going to be under the new regime. We'll probably have fun new phrases for age old concepts. "Punitive thermal leveraging" for torture with heat or cold. "Extreme stress positioning" for when they break or fracture a few bones before they make you into a human pretzel for hours or days on end. The Gitmo shit could EASILY become common practice if there's no oversight to speak of from the executive branch and the judiciary is packed with a certain type by same.

I'm beginning to doubt whether we ever had, as a nation or in the sense of the whole species perhaps, in fact been "rational" or engaged in any real sort of enlightenment or just strangely involved in a reactionary dream after a century of new horrors of scale from industrialization and also perhaps the cosmology changes wrought by astronomy giving us an idea of how BIG the picture really is.

And then sic transit mundi... a few generations pass and the humans get back to business as usual.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

I fail to see how this is even slightly surprising.  Both the act and the fact that nobody is being punished.

We've been wobbling this way for 16 years.  I mean, we were never angels, but we've been marching backwards since 2001.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Oh yes, this happened under Obama.

But think about who runs the DOJ now.  Do you think they're going to intervene over this?  And of course, that just means every yahoo who thinks prison is a torture camp will have their day.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 20, 2017, 02:45:16 AM
Oh yes, this happened under Obama.

But think about who runs the DOJ now.  Do you think they're going to intervene over this?  And of course, that just means every yahoo who thinks prison is a torture camp will have their day.

Well, that's exactly it.  They do it, they boast about getting away with it, the "authorities" just ignore it...And poof.  Manufactured normalcy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.