News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Great Opening Lines

Started by unlike_someone, August 11, 2005, 06:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unlike_someone

I was re-reading some of the collections of short stories that I have on my bookshelves when I came across "'Beloved Disciple' by S. P. Somtow," a story in a book called "Dark Destiny" published by White Wolf.

Anyways the first line in this story goes, "First off, I've never fucked him." (or very close to that). Seeing as it's a story about Jesus it's a wonderful introduction.

Anyone else have a great opening line from a favorite story/novel?
- some inertly chaotic chick

"I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!' " --Bruce Baum

Bella

"I was twelve years old the first time I ever walked on water"

From 'Mr. Vertigo' by Paul Auster
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Iron Sulfide

"SO Ther I Was..."

great opening for any story.
Ya' stupid Yank.

East Coast Hustle

I don't actually remember the title of the book or who it was by, but the opening sentence stuck with me:

"The last camel died at noon."

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet:

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

Malaul

Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Malaul

Momma died today, or maybe it was yesgterday, i cant remember

The Stranger by Albert Camus
I HATED this book but damn great opener
Coito ergo sum
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Bella

This one reminds me of Zorga:

"Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last..."

From 'Ahab's Wife' by Sena Jeter Naslund
just like in a dream

unlike_someone

There is this book I own that has short stories in it called "Borderlands." I wish I could let everyone read it as it has some of the weirdest stroies I have ever read. My favorite is entitled "Stillborn" and it's written by Nina Kiriki Hoffman:

"Hugh found it in the shallow grave his mother had dug behind the house. He kept it wrapped in cotton above a heat register in the attic, where the dry warmth would preserve it without rotting it. Once it had mummified, he locked his bedroom door and took it out to look at, nights after his mother had gone to bed. When he shook it, its brain rattled inside its tiny skull like a pea in a gourd. "Little brother," he would whisper, staring into its sunken leathery face. "Little brother.""

It's only 3 pages long... but it is beyond strange.
- some inertly chaotic chick

"I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!' " --Bruce Baum

Malaul

Coito ergo sum

Bella

Me, too. I love sweet little stories like that.
just like in a dream

Iron Sulfide

"Call me Ishmael, Dummy."

Moby Dick for Dummies
Ya' stupid Yank.

Buddha's Ghost Penis