News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Let's talk about the weather.

Started by Eater of Clowns, February 13, 2010, 12:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Banal conversation and pointless chatter are obvious chagrins to everyone.  Some have lower threshholds than others but we all have a limit to how much uninteresting crap we can put up with in a day.  You've got interaction trappers who come up to you and start talking about whetever comes to mind, office nonsense and such.  And really, is there any greater example of this dull, wretched talk than the weather?

The weather gets a bad reputation though, undue for what it is.  Our lives are so inundated with media and potential interests that it's a miracle two people can share similar hobbies.  We've got nothing in common with each other anymore - even the people who supposedly do!  Two people love beer?  That's great - good luck getting them to agree on which is incredible and which is crap.  Don't get me wrong, this is a great thing, more potential for individuality and independent thought (won't hold my breath for it) and all, but it backfires sometimes.

We're just so damn disconnected.  Where does one find a common ground in conversation in a group of relative strangers thrust upon each other so often seen in workplaces?  Five people in a group enjoy television, let's say, but one guy hates reality shows, another watches only sports, one nothing but major news, another the history channel, and another prime time sitcoms.  Television itself has so many options the common joke has been about who gets to control the remote.

The weather.  It's one of the few things that's occuring to every individual in your immediate vicinity in the same way at the same time.  It did in the recent past and it will in the near future.  It's an experience we actually share, in the very real sense.  I saw a great spirit of camaraderie on my street the first storm of the season - neighbors who barely spoke helping each other shovel and push cars that were stuck (like -ahem- my own).

So please, if you see me, point out what kind of day it is.

And then fuck off.   :lulz:

Anyway, it was just stirring around my head lately.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Triple Zero

it's kinda cold, snow from yesterday is still everywhere. the city has an orange/pink colour at night because of the reflections of the sodium streetlights bouncing back and forth between the snow on the streets and the clouds. it's not bad, when you're inside :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 13, 2010, 12:12:39 AM
it's kinda cold, snow from yesterday is still everywhere. the city has an orange/pink colour at night because of the reflections of the sodium streetlights bouncing back and forth between the snow on the streets and the clouds. it's not bad, when you're inside :)

Dutch weather is not my weather, we cannot be friends! 
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Kai

"Think it's gonna rain?"

"...be a rather long dry spell if it doesn't."
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

I live in San Diego...the weather rarely budgets within +10'F of 70.

ETA:  But I know what you mean.  That's why I rarely answer "How are you doin'?" with "Fine" like most everyone else.   I actually put the person off a weensy bit by answering with an honest "sometimes pretty bad, but right now I'm functioning" or something similar.  It puts a jog in the conversation and lets the person know if they're going to inquire about how I'm doing, they're not gonna get a bullshit answer.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It was pleasant and balmy yesterday, and the worms were out and about which is usually a surefire sign of spring, but today it is buttfuck cold. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BabylonHoruv

We had a mild winter here, right until a week after groudnhogs day (which was cloudy BTW, fucker must have found a single sunbeam to find his shadow) and since then it has been snowing like nonstop.  There are a bunch of little birds who returned from migrating who are pissed about it and loudly express their dissatisfaction every time my roommate and i go out to smoke a cigarette.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kai

Quote from: Jenne on February 15, 2010, 04:46:06 PM
I live in San Diego...the weather rarely budgets within +10'F of 70.

ETA:  But I know what you mean.  That's why I rarely answer "How are you doin'?" with "Fine" like most everyone else.   I actually put the person off a weensy bit by answering with an honest "sometimes pretty bad, but right now I'm functioning" or something similar.  It puts a jog in the conversation and lets the person know if they're going to inquire about how I'm doing, they're not gonna get a bullshit answer.

I know someone who uses "I am well and comfortable" habitually. I think she just really is that way quite often, but it's nice how it puts people off because it's not a regular response.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 15, 2010, 10:26:01 PM
OKM:  Dead as yesterday's fish.

Try picking my brain for some "rants". You'll find it's gone as mushy as my attitude these days. No mind for the academic.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on February 15, 2010, 10:34:27 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 15, 2010, 10:26:01 PM
OKM:  Dead as yesterday's fish.

Try picking my brain for some "rants". You'll find it's gone as mushy as my attitude these days. No mind for the academic.

Yeah, but the Livejournal crap has started in OKM.

We may as well merge all the boards into one big page, like GLP or FC.
Molon Lube

Salty

I've been trying to pump my rant gland once a week, spilling the contents here or as a letter in Apple Talk.  Missed this one. Something cooking though. 
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Alty on February 16, 2010, 12:26:15 AM
I've been trying to pump my rant gland once a week, spilling the contents here or as a letter in Apple Talk.  Missed this one. Something cooking though. 

Maybe we could do a twitter-style blog in OKM.  That would be pretty fucking edgy, right?

:kingmeh:
Molon Lube

Salty

So my effort to produce regular content that means something substantial to me is akin to tweeting.

That makes me so angry right now.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau