News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Fibonacci, Golden Ratios, Spirals and other bullshit.

Started by Triple Zero, June 22, 2011, 02:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Well, this is awesome, Trip. I acknowledge the fractal geometry of natural things because A) they're made up of smaller repeating units and B) fractals are developmentally easier to program. However, I've remained skeptical of these golden numbers. Yes, pi and other perfect and repeated proportions in geometry are very interesting, but how often does anyone see a perfect rectangle or circle or any simple geometric shape outside of mathematical ideals? The living world has always been about "whatever works", and not about what matches are human aesthetic.

I'd also suggest that the reason these ratios seem to match our human aesthetic, at least in part, is because human designers use them everywhere.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

LMNO

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The glyph φ on the other hand is universally beautiful  :fnord:

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.