News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Retirement dream home

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 12, 2010, 07:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So I've begun to think about what I'm going to do in ten years or so, when the kids go off to college. There's really no reason I should keep this vast monstrosity of a house, and I'd like a bigger yard, so the logical thing is to sell this and buy a small house on a big lot. In my obsessive style, I've been looking at houses for sale, and found this: http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=+%096149+NE+FAILING+ST+Portland,+OR+97213&sll=45.548946,-122.656392&sspn=0.010098,0.023689&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=6149+NE+Failing+St,+Portland,+Multnomah,+Oregon+97213&t=h&z=16

I want it SO FUCKING BAD. It's a third of an acre flag lot in the middle of a large city block, accessible via a long driveway. It has NO STREETFRONT. It's like a little hidden wonderland!

Here's the property outline: http://portlandmaps.com/detail.cfm?action=summary&propertyid=R161652&address_id=591300&x=7664231.811&y=694193.214&state_id=1N2E19DD%20%20600&site_name=6149%20NE%20FAILING%20ST&city=PORTLAND&ResultCount=1

Duuuuuuude!!!!

Also it's only $100k, but the house is listed as a "major fixer, not livable".

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Here's mine. I do not want a fixer upper.

Remington

That looks awesome! If it's only 100k, seems like it should be fairly easy to rebuild/fix it. I found the designs for some excellent DIY solar projects if you're interested... ($5 for a solar thermal panel).
Is it plugged in?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What I'd really love to do, and if I had the income I would, is buy it, put a new roof on it, and then gradually work on it over the next ten years until I was ready to sell this place and move in there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 12, 2010, 07:40:20 PM
What I'd really love to do, and if I had the income I would, is buy it, put a new roof on it, and then gradually work on it over the next ten years until I was ready to sell this place and move in there.

Beware of mold, mildew, asbestos, lead pipes and aluminum wiring.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 12, 2010, 07:42:17 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 12, 2010, 07:40:20 PM

Beware of mold, mildew, asbestos, lead pipes and aluminum wiring.

I have been rehabbing old houses for a while, so I'm aware. Thanks, though!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Remington on October 12, 2010, 07:26:28 PM
That looks awesome! If it's only 100k, seems like it should be fairly easy to rebuild/fix it. I found the designs for some excellent DIY solar projects if you're interested... ($5 for a solar thermal panel).

It's actually, at $100k, probably the exact opposite of easy to rebuild or fix. :lulz: The only thing that makes me think the house might be salvageable is that it doesn't have a city teardown order. Here's the ML#: 10037063  copy & paste in in here: and you'll see what I mean. http://rmls.com/RC2/UI/search_mlsnumber.asp

It was built in 1943 and has a wood post foundation, so even that needs to be replaced.