News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 25, 2013, 01:53:29 PM
PD.COM: "Here Be Dragons".

From what ECH said, if Dingo honors his wishes, there won't even be that much. No mention at all.

One can only hope.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 25, 2013, 05:33:23 PM

From what ECH said, if Dingo honors his wishes, there won't even be that much. No mention at all.

One can only hope.

Well, I don't think the book is going to sweep the globe and have half the planet in here screaming at us, one way or another.  Not even worried about that.

To me, this is a matter of principle.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 25, 2013, 01:50:11 AM
Quote from: Net on November 25, 2013, 01:12:16 AM
It seems very much like you want to be a journalist, Dingo, so I'm curious about whether you have experience in the field. What have you reported on? What are your most important principles in producing a piece of journalism?

Could you give an example of a journalist, documentarian, or a particular piece of work that you hold in high esteem? What special considerations, if any, do you keep in mind in terms of writing about a culture that 1) you're an active participant in, 2) has nearly zero awareness among the broader public, and 3) that you have a vested interest in?

He sure as fuck appears to have zero training in journalism, anthropology, or sociology. :lol:

Ya gotta start somewhere, right?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 22, 2013, 12:45:49 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 21, 2013, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 17, 2012, 02:06:34 AM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 17, 2012, 12:37:18 AM
Dingo's recent actions positively REEK of Captain Utopia. Especially the part where he thinks he's being reasonable in spite of it being totally obvious to everyone else how utterly fucked up his words and actions are.

Dingo, there's no reason for me to ban you from PD (personal feelings aside) but I will have to absolutely insist that the Chasing Eris project and any future projects you might look to publish are not in any way connected to PD.com. I don't even want this site, any of the content in this site, or any of the usernames on this site mentioned at all, not even in passing.

Post seen.

Also, bump.

Talk to ECH re: this. I have contacted him regarding concerns, and he has said he will get back to me.

I'm not sure when or how you contacted me and what you're waiting for me to get back to you on. I already made my wishes clear.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 02:51:35 AM
It seems very much like you want to be a journalist, Dingo, so I'm curious about whether you have experience in the field. What have you reported on? What are your most important principles in producing a piece of journalism?

Could you give an example of a journalist, documentarian, or a particular piece of work that you hold in high esteem? What special considerations, if any, do you keep in mind in terms of writing about a culture that 1) you're an active participant in, 2) has nearly zero awareness among the broader public, and 3) that you have a vested interest in?

Hi Net!

Irrelevant, but it's been awhile.

Hey Blight!

I've been on an observant, contemplative trip lately. Since I type all day at work it's been one of the last things that I want to do after my 11-12 hour days.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 25, 2013, 10:26:20 PM
Dingo's recent actions positively REEK of Captain Utopia. Especially the part where he thinks he's being reasonable in spite of it being totally obvious to everyone else how utterly fucked up his words and actions are.

Dingo, there's no reason for me to ban you from PD (personal feelings aside) but I will have to absolutely insist that the Chasing Eris project and any future projects you might look to publish are not in any way connected to PD.com. I don't even want this site, any of the content in this site, or any of the usernames on this site mentioned at all, not even in passing.

Post seen.

Also, bump.

Talk to ECH re: this. I have contacted him regarding concerns, and he has said he will get back to me.

I'm not sure when or how you contacted me and what you're waiting for me to get back to you on. I already made my wishes clear.

I smell bullDingoshit.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 25, 2013, 05:39:58 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 25, 2013, 05:33:23 PM

One can only hope.

Well, I don't think the book is going to sweep the globe and have half the planet in here screaming at us, one way or another.  Not even worried about that.

To me, this is a matter of principle.

True enough.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on November 25, 2013, 10:08:40 PM

He sure as fuck appears to have zero training in journalism, anthropology, or sociology. :lol:

More power to him. Hopefully he'll treat subsequent projects with a little more finesse. I think he really could have benefitted from the part of the training that teaches you that when you're writing about people, it's not really your project, it's theirs.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Post seen.

Also, bump.

OH SNAP!

Placid Dingo

Post seen.

Also, bump.

Facebook messages 18/11/2012 (or 19th depending on how tomezones affect message date stamps), my message and your reply.
If you wish I can bump the conversation for you, or if you like I can disregard it and understand that the quote in this thread remains your full and only position.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Net on November 25, 2013, 10:31:28 PM

Hi Net!

Hey Blight!

I've been on an observant, contemplative trip lately. Since I type all day at work it's been one of the last things that I want to do after my 11-12 hour days.

I hear that. I'm back and school myself, so it's a bit iffy if I'll post or even read some days.

More power to the thinking dude. I hope it's a good trip.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 25, 2013, 11:31:46 AM

Hey Net,

No, I'm not a journalist by any stretch of the imagination. I am starting a journalism course. I haven't been flattering myself that anything I do now is seriously 'journalism.'

Principles I have taken though, in my first course, I was introduced to the idea of objectivity as a process. This meant you didn't have to make work that is completely unopinionated, but you do have to essentially give your readers enough information that if they think you're full of it, they can check your claims easily. From memory this meant

- if you know something, explain where you know it from.
- if you can't say where you know it from, say why you can't tell us (why was this source so important you were willing to take them off the record)
- if you make or report a criticism, you give the subject the right of response
- if you have a conflict of interest, announce it.

I love John Pilger very dearly. He exemplifies the above. Pretty much a card carrying lefty, he gives detailed investigation into complex world issues and has been given interviews with pretty major figures. Also the Aussie investigation into asbestos interests me.

In terms of influence, Jon Ronson and Louis Theuroux both have a detached, objective and non judgemental style I admire.

For one and three; me being active in and having a vested interest in Discordia I've done three things. I've been honest about my involvement, I've attempted to consciously step away from my own biases to let people define Discordia for themselves, and I've made mention of my own views, when occasionally relevant. Of course that last one will stay or go in the editing.

In case of 2 that it has nearly zero public awareness, at present I am explaining the origins of Discordia, then kind of building up a slow map of the Discordian egragore through the people I meet; someone says greyface, I explain what that means, etc. The main thing I'm doing is avoiding giving an explicit estimation of what Discordia IS, but emphasising the variation in interpretations. And of course while all this in what's happening in the writing process, if there's any problems left in place, the editing will aim to resolve them.

Thanks for such a detailed response. That makes a lot of sense, but there's just one point that I'm still unclear about.

By vested interest I was more referring to monetary gain. My understanding is that you are planning on getting your work published on a for-profit basis. You're spending a significant amount of time and money to make the live interviews happen. That said, I'm not sure how important it is that you recoup these expenses.

If we examine the disagreement about LS in terms of your monetary interests, we'd have to look at the marketablity of your book to both publishers to distribute it and the end consumers who would buy it. So it seems like a fair question to ask—do you think that including LS content could possibly increase the appeal to publishers or increase sales of the published book?

Suppose a publisher said they'd print your work but only if you edit it to include more emphasis on LS and people's various reactions to his opinions. Would you edit it to appease the publisher? Or suppose a publisher said they looked up LS and said there is no way they're publishing the book if you include his interview?

How important is it to you that these interviews are published? How important is it that you recoup costs? How important is it that you make a profit? And how do these interests relate to your editorial decisions?

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 26, 2013, 12:08:26 AM
Quote from: Net on November 25, 2013, 10:08:40 PM

More power to him. Hopefully he'll treat subsequent projects with a little more finesse. I think he really could have benefitted from the part of the training that teaches you that when you're writing about people, it's not really your project, it's theirs.

I agree and I hope I can understand more as to why Dingo went the direction he did, because it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 26, 2013, 04:53:50 AM
Quote from: Net on November 25, 2013, 10:31:28 PM

Hi Net!

Hey Blight!

I hear that. I'm back and school myself, so it's a bit iffy if I'll post or even read some days.

More power to the thinking dude. I hope it's a good trip.

It's been good all right.

I can't say much about it because it's often in relation to the multi-corporation clusterfuck at which I work and how fastidious they are about internet content that puts them in a bad light, let alone the non-disclosure agreement I signed.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 26, 2013, 01:11:10 AM

Post seen.

Also, bump.

Facebook messages 18/11/2012 (or 19th depending on how tomezones affect message date stamps), my message and your reply.
If you wish I can bump the conversation for you, or if you like I can disregard it and understand that the quote in this thread remains your full and only position.

You are correct, and I completely forgot about it. But I feel exactly how LMNO described a few pages back, so I'm not feeling all that charitable about it. I'd really prefer if PD.com was left out of the book.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"