News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Americans wrongfully deported.

Started by Adios, July 26, 2010, 04:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: RWHN on July 28, 2010, 02:07:44 PM
The tolerance from the general public for out-and-out prejudice, bigotry, and xenophobia is downright astounding these days. 

Post-racial period my ass. 

Backlash, I think. 

That, and kids have finally found a way to piss off their hippie parents.
Molon Lube

Requia ☣

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 28, 2010, 04:42:02 PM
Yeah, we would literally all have to be the exact same hue.  I mean, just look at the social biases in places like Brazil and the Middle East, where it doesn't matter if they're all brownish, the lighter skinned people are still considered more attractive/'better'.

Physical differences will always be used by the ignorant in order to create a power heirarchy.

Japan started discriminating on Blood type when they realized it couldn't use skin tone.  I'd say the exact same hue wouldn't help much.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 28, 2010, 05:04:52 PM

Japan started discriminating on Blood type when they realized it couldn't use skin tone. 

What?   :lulz:  For the love of God, LINK!
Molon Lube

Lord Cataplanga

Racism in Latin America and the Middle East isn't about the color of someone's skin. Jews and Arabs have the same skin color, so they discriminate based on religion.
In Paraguay, we are all different shades of brown, so people used to discriminate based on language (ignorant people spoke guaranĂ­, the actual native language, whereas educated, civilized people spoke spanish).
If everyone's the same race, people will just have to find a different kind of minority to oppress.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 28, 2010, 05:05:37 PM

Japan started discriminating on Blood type when they realized it couldn't use skin tone. 

Can't find the original news article I got this from, but wiki has a write up:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_types_in_Japanese_culture

Adios

A city in Minnesota approves an English-only ordinance that's got some community members angry. KARE reports.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/07/27/dnt.english.only.city.kare?hpt=C2

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Jenne on July 28, 2010, 04:20:57 PM
OH, and what's with Fux News's and the media in general's usage of "reverse racism"?  What's in reverse, here?  "Racist" only means against "people of color" aka ethnic minorities?  When it's agains whites it's in "reverse"?   I guess I could google how this came to be, but dammit, it's all the same thing, innit?  Racism is racism...reverse should be uh, lack of racism?

Enforced multiculturalism could be thought of as reverse racism,  but yeah, usually it just gets used to mean "racist against whites"
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Quote from: Jenne on July 28, 2010, 04:17:49 AM
...till it doesn't.  Even the mighty can fall.  *has seen it happen*  And sometimes, SOMETIMES, shit can change.

I do not disagree with this, rather, i see it as the cause of the situation.  When somebody with the resources to fight back effects change, they frequently effect change just for the people with the resources to fight back.

Cain

OH, and what's with Fux News's and the media in general's usage of "reverse racism"?  What's in reverse, here?  "Racist" only means against "people of color" aka ethnic minorities?  When it's agains whites it's in "reverse"?   I guess I could google how this came to be, but dammit, it's all the same thing, innit?  Racism is racism...reverse should be uh, lack of racism?

Basically modern conservatism is whining about your victimization and in doing so denying groups with historically legitimate greivances theirs in the process.

Pope Lecherous

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 28, 2010, 05:10:05 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 28, 2010, 05:05:37 PM

Can't find the original news article I got this from, but wiki has a write up:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_types_in_Japanese_culture

The discrimination between japanese and okinawans is the strongest i've seen amongst japanese peoples.

as far as the blood type goes, it's just about as serious as americans take astrological signs
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Requia ☣

I can't find this, so maybe the article I read was bullshitting, but they had said they needed to ban employers from asking about blood type.

Jenne

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2010, 12:06:05 AM

Basically modern conservatism is whining about your victimization and in doing so denying groups with historically legitimate greivances theirs in the process.

That's what it sounded like to me!  I'm not surprised the lawyers have devised a legal way of touting it, either.

Jenne

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 29, 2010, 12:01:40 AM
Quote from: Jenne on July 28, 2010, 04:17:49 AM
...till it doesn't.  Even the mighty can fall.  *has seen it happen*  And sometimes, SOMETIMES, shit can change.

I do not disagree with this, rather, i see it as the cause of the situation.  When somebody with the resources to fight back effects change, they frequently effect change just for the people with the resources to fight back.

Sometimes.  I mean, I think extraordinary things can still happen when someone rich and famous gets their tail in the trap they didn't know was set for them.  But yes, majority of the time, it's a "special circumstance" for the rich to buy their way out of rather than an actual policy change for everyone.

Requia ☣

I don't necessarily mean the rich, being photogenic or having friends who work at a newspaper is as much a defense against this as anything else.  Sometimes its more a matter of education, knowing what your rights actually are, instead of what you're told they are.  But a poorly educated Hispanic farm hand doesn't have a lot of resources like that.

Jenne

Even those who know their rights have a tough time...money greases too many wheels in the justice system, as does reputation.  And those not caring about either of those are the scariest of all, because it's POWER that they care about.  So they have little to lose.

I fucking hate our justice system.  But it's the only one we got.