News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

30,000 new targets to be placed in Afghanistan

Started by Cain, December 02, 2009, 11:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 04, 2009, 06:16:54 PM
here's hoping the Chinese do a better job than we did.

Probably not.  The very definition of hegemony is "being too big to suffer from your own stupidity".  It fails to take into account just how stupid people can be.

The Good Reverend Roger

Heh.  If there's one nation on Earth that has made a bigger nightmare of capitalism than we have, it's China.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 06:45:36 PM

Heh.  If there's one nation on Earth that has made a bigger nightmare of capitalism than we have, it's China.

They thought that about Japan about 20 years ago--remember the hysteria?  But what wasn't figured in to the mix was how limited Japan's territory is.

China is VAST.  China's BIG.  And it's diversified more than most Westerners figure (all those Asians "look alike" donchaknow?~~>/dumbass attitudes that will bankrupt us eventually).  Once they get some more buying power (and dammit, they're on their way) and are geared up to be United States Mach II, well, I think it goes without saying.

ETA:  They meaning not the government but the people themselves.  The higher educated the populace becomes, the better off China becomes, and Inida's falling way behind.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 06:48:06 PM

Heh.  If there's one nation on Earth that has made a bigger nightmare of capitalism than we have, it's China.

They thought that about Japan about 20 years ago--remember the hysteria?  But what wasn't figured in to the mix was how limited Japan's territory is.

China is VAST.  China's BIG.  And it's diversified more than most Westerners figure (all those Asians "look alike" donchaknow?~~>/dumbass attitudes that will bankrupt us eventually).  Once they get some more buying power (and dammit, they're on their way) and are geared up to be United States Mach II, well, I think it goes without saying.

ETA:  They meaning not the government but the people themselves.  The higher educated the populace becomes, the better off China becomes, and Inida's falling way behind.

China hasn't got 20 years.  Their environmental issues (particularly desertification) will see to that.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 06:52:32 PM

Heh.  If there's one nation on Earth that has made a bigger nightmare of capitalism than we have, it's China.

They thought that about Japan about 20 years ago--remember the hysteria?  But what wasn't figured in to the mix was how limited Japan's territory is.

China is VAST.  China's BIG.  And it's diversified more than most Westerners figure (all those Asians "look alike" donchaknow?~~>/dumbass attitudes that will bankrupt us eventually).  Once they get some more buying power (and dammit, they're on their way) and are geared up to be United States Mach II, well, I think it goes without saying.

China hasn't got 20 years.  Their environmental issues (particularly desertification) will see to that.

Well, it only took Japan 10 years to implode from the time they "peaked" in the 80's.  They've been rebuilding since then.  I don't think China will ever have that sort of issue.  They have more green technology working away in their backsides than the US, btw.  I think 3-4 of the leading "green companies" that deal with alternative energy sources and their output are in China, whereas only two are in the US.  I just heard this this weekend.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 06:57:10 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 06:52:32 PM

They thought that about Japan about 20 years ago--remember the hysteria?  But what wasn't figured in to the mix was how limited Japan's territory is.

China is VAST.  China's BIG.  And it's diversified more than most Westerners figure (all those Asians "look alike" donchaknow?~~>/dumbass attitudes that will bankrupt us eventually).  Once they get some more buying power (and dammit, they're on their way) and are geared up to be United States Mach II, well, I think it goes without saying.

Well, it only took Japan 10 years to implode from the time they "peaked" in the 80's.  They've been rebuilding since then.  I don't think China will ever have that sort of issue.  They have more green technology working away in their backsides than the US, btw.  I think 3-4 of the leading "green companies" that deal with alternative energy sources and their output are in China, whereas only two are in the US.  I just heard this this weekend.

"Green Technology"? 

They've planted 150 million trees, and the desert just leapfrogs over them.  It's not an energy issue, it's a farming issue, and they're pretty much fucked, because the piss-poor farming discipline they've shown has created a desert which is now generating its own weather patterns.  Beijing itself will be under sand in 17 years.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 06:59:30 PM

"Green Technology"? 

They've planted 150 million trees, and the desert just leapfrogs over them.  It's not an energy issue, it's a farming issue, and they're pretty much fucked, because the piss-poor farming discipline they've shown has created a desert which is now generating its own weather patterns.  Beijing itself will be under sand in 17 years.

The farming issue is bad everywhere, from what I can see.  We're derstizing a good chunk of the Earf everywhere.  And from what I hear, it's the lobbyists that are keeping everyone from really anteing up and doing it the "right way," though what that is exactly, I have no clue.

The green energy is in regards to their manufacturing--they're slowly trying to move over to less coal-based and more solar and wind technologies and making profits from selling those as well to other companies outside of China.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:12:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 06:59:30 PM

"Green Technology"? 

The farming issue is bad everywhere, from what I can see.  We're derstizing a good chunk of the Earf everywhere.  And from what I hear, it's the lobbyists that are keeping everyone from really anteing up and doing it the "right way," though what that is exactly, I have no clue.

The green energy is in regards to their manufacturing--they're slowly trying to move over to less coal-based and more solar and wind technologies and making profits from selling those as well to other companies outside of China.

Solar is crap.  Making the panels creates loads of nice, toxic goo.  Also, it takes almost as much energy to make them as you'll gain from them during their lifespan.

And you may notice that neither Nebraska nor Manitoba is turning into desert.  The "right way" has been understood for decades, and the places that can afford to do it (low enough population base, enough surplus land) are doing fine.  In China, they HAVE to use short-sighted techniques just to break even, which makes every year harder, which means they have to use even WORSE techniques...in a fast spiral that resembles water going down a toilet.

Africa has the same problem, and India isn't far behind.

Cain

In India the Ganges is going to dry up soon enough, too.  Which will likely halve their food production in the north, at a minimum.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 04, 2009, 07:20:05 PM
In India the Ganges is going to dry up soon enough, too.  Which will likely halve their food production in the north, at a minimum.

Hello, more desert.

"Green technology" is a fart in a windstorm.  The root cause of all of these problems is the same:  TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE, HAVING TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE.  But at the "Earth Summits" they've been holding since 1980, they aren't even allowed to SAY "birth control", for religious reasons.

FUCK IT.  LET THE HUMANS DROWN IN THEIR OWN SHIT.

Jenne

Well, I think China may get to the newer, better farming methods ahead of anyone else other than the West, but maybe I'm putting all my eggs in one basket, I don't know.

East Coast Hustle

So, we're in complete agreement.

RCH,
has a different definition of "better" than most people
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:34:12 PM
Well, I think China may get to the newer, better farming methods ahead of anyone else other than the West, but maybe I'm putting all my eggs in one basket, I don't know.

They can lock all the barn doors they want, those horses are long gone.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 04, 2009, 08:50:59 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:34:12 PM

They can lock all the barn doors they want, those horses are long gone.

I don't think it's a matter of locking the barndoor, though they'd probably enjoy the benefits of such a practice.  I'm just talking in the newly-emerging world economy, China will beat out Africa (for sure) and India.