News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

CRAMULUS

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 23, 2011, 11:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 03:40:56 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 24, 2011, 03:32:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2011, 03:08:05 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on March 24, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 02:53:10 PMThe word "white", as I have already explained a few times, is just a hotbutton

Then why use it, if it's not the actual point?  Why not just say "middle class"?

I'm not trying to start anything, it's an honest question.

I'm playing with it.

I've been told that I am "culturally white", which pissed me off, because what the hell does that even mean? But I decided I'd run with it a little, and what I've found is that it seriously upsets the fuck out of white people. I find that fascinating, and well worth exploring.

I am "culturally Roger".

ETA:  I think "culturally White" means that you aren't behaving as people expect you to behave.  They don't have a convenient label, so they just pasted that one on and hoped it would stick.

I always thought it meant you were part of the standard mainstream culture, grew up in a suburb surrounded by white people etc.

Of course, this is pretty much the opposite of Nigel  :?

What, exactly, makes growing up in a suburb "white"?

What makes mainstream culture "white" by default?

I didn't make the language, I just monkey the way other people use it.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 03:40:56 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 24, 2011, 03:32:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2011, 03:08:05 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 02:53:10 PMThe word "white", as I have already explained a few times, is just a hotbutton

Then why use it, if it's not the actual point?  Why not just say "middle class"?

I'm playing with it.

I've been told that I am "culturally white", which pissed me off, because what the hell does that even mean? But I decided I'd run with it a little, and what I've found is that it seriously upsets the fuck out of white people. I find that fascinating, and well worth exploring.

I am "culturally Roger".

ETA:  I think "culturally White" means that you aren't behaving as people expect you to behave.  They don't have a convenient label, so they just pasted that one on and hoped it would stick.

I always thought it meant you were part of the standard mainstream culture, grew up in a suburb surrounded by white people etc.

Of course, this is pretty much the opposite of Nigel  :?

What, exactly, makes growing up in a suburb "white"?

What makes mainstream culture "white" by default?

Nothing really, other than assumptions of demographics. Suburban is somewhat of a subjective term too. Revere is a suburb of Boston but doesn't strike me as particularly "suburban."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 24, 2011, 03:34:28 PM

I'm generally of the opinion that racism is learned from parents first, reinforced in childhood by being with other children who've learned the same shit, and either unlearned in early adulthood, or otherwise carried through life like a virus, ready to infect their children as well.

Balls.  My parents were/are the classic aging lefties, and my sister is a racist shitneck.

Is it any different than the anti-italianism of the late 1800's/ early 1900's?  And was that, in your opinion, driven by the same thinking?

No different.  Same with the anti-Irish thing of the same period.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2011, 03:53:18 PM

I'm generally of the opinion that racism is learned from parents first, reinforced in childhood by being with other children who've learned the same shit, and either unlearned in early adulthood, or otherwise carried through life like a virus, ready to infect their children as well.

Balls.  My parents were/are the classic aging lefties, and my sister is a racist shitneck.

Is it any different than the anti-italianism of the late 1800's/ early 1900's?  And was that, in your opinion, driven by the same thinking?

No different.  Same with the anti-Irish thing of the same period.

It's easier for the upper-class to tell the middle and working classes that [insert recent immigrant population] are taking our jobs than creating new jobs in the first place. Cuz that would mean they'd have to pay more people for working for them. And the middle and working classes buy into it, while the upper class sits back with a cognac and a cubano.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on March 24, 2011, 03:55:54 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2011, 03:53:18 PM

Balls.  My parents were/are the classic aging lefties, and my sister is a racist shitneck.

Is it any different than the anti-italianism of the late 1800's/ early 1900's?  And was that, in your opinion, driven by the same thinking?

No different.  Same with the anti-Irish thing of the same period.

It's easier for the upper-class to talk the middle and working classes that [insert recent immigrant population] are taking our jobs than creating new jobs in the first place. Cuz that would mean they'd have to pay more people for working for them. And the middle and working classes buy into it, while the upper class sits back with a cognac and a cubano.

This.  And it makes no difference that the upper class may even believe it themselves, to one degree or another.  Mostly they seem to just view everyone else as a big magic puddle of shit that makes things for them.  Great to have, but not something you want to actually talk to.

As evidence, I present "Dead Peasants Insurance", where corporations take out life insurance policies on employees, with the corporation being the beneficiary.  So you work for a company for a few years, then 20 years later you die, and they make mad bank, far and above what they paid for your services.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Shit. Is that legal? 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on March 24, 2011, 04:03:07 PM
Shit. Is that legal? 

Yes.  However, in some states, surviving family can and have sued for the proceeds or at least a portion thereof.

In Arizona, of course, you can't even do that.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Hoopla on March 24, 2011, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: navkat on March 24, 2011, 03:01:04 PM

Then why use it, if it's not the actual point?  Why not just say "middle class"?

Because "white" is technically accurate...not our fault if it makes people uncomfortable.

How so?  How are middle class black people exempt?

I'm not trying to say that I don't think white people have had it good for a long time, but I take issue with the attempt to make me feel guilty over an issue I have no control over, and feel I haven't contributed to.  So yes, the accusation (if that is a fair word to use) makes me uncomfortable.  I suppose this is something I will need to put a lot more thought into.

I think your interpretation of it being an "accusation" or "attempt to make you feel guilty" are stemming from your own personal issues. I'm pretty sure nobody that has espoused the "PD theory of general socioeconomic relativity" is accusing you of anything.

It IS awfully funny, though, how many white people get all puckery and pedantic as soon as you call them "white". :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Back on the original threadjack:

Talking about who is really or culturally which race is offensive as hell, and stupid on a scale that beggars the imagination.

So of course Nigel is correct.  We should be using this.

LMNO

I'd like to thank everyone who posted in this thread.  I am not as uncomfortable with the original topic as beforehand, though I am still uncomfortable when confronted with my obvious privilege I was born with by genetic lottery.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 24, 2011, 04:15:31 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who posted in this thread.  I am not as uncomfortable with the original topic as beforehand, though I am still uncomfortable when confronted with my obvious privilege I was born with by genetic lottery.

As your spiritual advisor, take it from me that being lucky isn't actually a felony.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, whatever ethnicity you are, you had to roll a natural 20 to be born in the gigantic bubble-wrap playhouse we call "America".

Chances for living in Europe are about the same.

And I don't think there's anyone here who could - with a straight face - deny that those 10% have it easier than anyone else on the planet.

Captain Utopia

Does benefiting from that privilege mean we have an obligation to do something about it?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Captain Utopia on March 24, 2011, 04:20:33 PM
Does benefiting from that privilege mean we have an obligation to do something about it?

Do what about it?  Toss it away and live in sackcloth and ashes?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Captain Utopia on March 24, 2011, 04:20:33 PM

Obliged? No. Good thing to do? Sure. But that also comes down to what "do something about it" entails.