News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

He's worth the time.  No surprises, the author is from Baltimore.  I thought his depiction of slum life was a little bit too accurate to just be a vivid imagination and writing ability.

And his main character, Warden, is like Sam Vimes only without the redeeming features (yet just as strangely endearing for it).  He's definitely not as attached to the rule of law...or not killing people.  I mean, the first novel isn't called "The Straight-Razor Cure" for nothing.

Cain

Attempted reading the second Stormlight Archives book.  Failed miserably, as I could remember almost nothing about the setting or the characters.  So I'm back in the first book, about a quarter of the way in now.  I remembered Kaladin's tale, but not much else.

Cain

OK, finished The Way of Kings, now onto Words of Radiance.

The Way of Kings was well worth the re-read.  IMO Sanderson has excellent prose - I never get bored from reading his books, even when very little is happening.

The first book ends of a hell of a cliffhanger, and the pace has not halted so far in the second book.  One main character has snuffed it thus far, and Sanderson's usual tropes - how history is an imprecise art, no-one sees themselves as evil and what you don't know certainly can get you killed - are rearing their heads once again.

If this series is on a par with his Mistborn books, I'll be satisfied.  But I think they definitely have the potential to be even better.

Bu🤠ns

I had to take a detour after Cram recommended The City & the City by China Miéville.  I'm not reading that book in particular but ended up getting fully absorbed into Kraken by the same author.  This "New Weird" style is really cool and I really enjoy Miéville's style. I haven't enjoyed this kind of genre since John Dies at the End--although it's slightly different. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Finished American Gods & give it a solid "That was pretty OK". I love Gaiman's stories, but the way they're executed -- his writing -- can be intrusive at times, with a few too many cliched phrases that jerk me suddenly out of the story and make me conscious that I'm reading it. He's certainly a better-than-average writer, though. Oddly, I'm also reading George Eliot and although it takes me longer to forget I'm reading with her due to linguistic differences, once I'm in I'm in solid and it takes an external distraction to deport me from the story.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 06, 2014, 01:53:37 AM
I had to take a detour after Cram recommended The City & the City by China Miéville.  I'm not reading that book in particular but ended up getting fully absorbed into Kraken by the same author.  This "New Weird" style is really cool and I really enjoy Miéville's style. I haven't enjoyed this kind of genre since John Dies at the End--although it's slightly different.

I like the sound of that, IIRC, John Dies... was toxically twisted :lulz:

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: LuciferX on September 07, 2014, 01:50:06 AM

yeah...i can't wait for his next book.  Just don't see the movie--even after reading the book.  Like do something better with your time like punching yourself in the chubbins

minuspace

Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 07, 2014, 04:31:04 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on September 07, 2014, 01:50:06 AM

yeah...i can't wait for his next book.  Just don't see the movie--even after reading the book.  Like do something better with your time like punching yourself in the chubbins

Yea...  I watched "Feuchtgebiete" instead.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2014, 03:57:18 PM
OK, finished The Way of Kings, now onto Words of Radiance.

The Way of Kings was well worth the re-read.  IMO Sanderson has excellent prose - I never get bored from reading his books, even when very little is happening.

The first book ends of a hell of a cliffhanger, and the pace has not halted so far in the second book.  One main character has snuffed it thus far, and Sanderson's usual tropes - how history is an imprecise art, no-one sees themselves as evil and what you don't know certainly can get you killed - are rearing their heads once again.

If this series is on a par with his Mistborn books, I'll be satisfied.  But I think they definitely have the potential to be even better.

I've been finding myself not wanting to read the Stormlight Archives stuff, since I'm so find of Mistborn, but now I may have to give them a try.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cain

In the intro, Sanderson talks about how he's been planning this particular series for years - if not decades.  From the sounds of it, this is the series he always wanted to write.

And it is different enough from Mistborn that one shouldn't detract from the other.  Mistborn had that almost steampunk fantasy-Victorian quality to it...the Stormlight Archive is definitely more in the classic high fantasy genre.

The second book is, so far, surpassing the first.  Obviously, the first was setting the scene, the character and so on, so that is to be expected.  The second is getting a lot more intricate, the plots and intersections between the character are getting quite complex, and I'm fairly sure at least three characters are masquerading under another identity.

Plus, the Stormlight Archive has Wit. 

QuoteThe King's Wit was not a silly court fool such as one might find in other kingdoms. He was a sword, a tool maintained by the king. Insulting others was beneath the dignity of the king, so just as one used gloves when forced to handle something vile, the king retained a Wit so he didn't have to debase himself to the level of rudeness or offensiveness.

QuoteKilling the King's Wit was legal. But by so doing, Sadeas would forfeit his title and lands. Most men found it a poor enough trade not to do it in the open. Of course, if you could assassinate a Wit without anyone knowing it was you, that was something different.

Quote"Brightlord Sadeas," Wit said, taking a sip of wine. "I'm terribly sorry to see you here."
"I should think," Sadeas said dryly, "that you would be happy to see me. I seem always to provide you with such entertainment."
"That is unfortunately true," Wit said.
"Unfortunately?"
"Yes. You see, Sadeas, you make it too easy. An uneducated, half-brained serving boy with a hangover could make mock of you. I am left with no need to exert myself, and your very nature makes mockery of my mockery. And so it is that through sheer stupidity you make me look incompetent."
"Really, Elhokar," Sadeas said. "Must we put up with this...creature?"
"I like him," Elhokar said, smiling. "He makes me laugh."
"At the expense of those who are loyal to you."
"Expense?" Wit cut in. "Sadeas, I don't believe you've ever paid me a sphere. Though no, please, don't offer. I can't take your money, as I know how many others you must pay to get what you wish of them."
Sadeas flushed, but kept his temper.
"A whore joke, Wit? Is that the best you can manage?"
Wit shrugged. "I point out truths when I see them, Brightlord Sadeas. Each man has his place. Mine is to make insults. Yours is to be in-sluts."
Sadeas froze, then grew red-faced.
"You are a fool."
"If the Wit is a fool, then it is a sorry state for men. I shall offer you this, Sadeas. If you can speak, yet say nothing ridiculous, I will leave you alone for the rest of the week."
"Well, I think that shouldn't be too difficult."
"And yet you failed," Wit said, sighing. "For you said 'I think' and I can imagine nothing so ridiculous as the concept of you thinking. What of you, young Prince Renarin? Your father wishes me to leave you alone. Can you speak, yet say nothing ridiculous?"
Eyes turned toward Renarin, who stood just behind his brother. Renarin hesitated, eyes opening wide at the attention. Dalinar grew tense. "Nothing ridiculous," Renarin said slowly.
Wit laughed. "Yes, I suppose that will satisfy me. Very clever. If Brightlord Sadeas should lose control of himself and finally kill me, perhaps you can be King's Wit in my stead. You seem to have the mind for it."

Any society that has publically sanctioned trolling cannot be all bad.

Raz Tech

The Good Reverend Roger

Currently finishing David Drake's RCN series.  I have only his 2014 addition yet to read, and it is safely ensconced in my Nook.

Then I have to find something else, unless Eric Flint has gotten off his ass.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Reginald Ret

I may have said this before but both Sanderson and Miéville are great writers.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

EK WAFFLR

Just finished The Shining by Stephen King. It was better than the movie, something I  never thought I would mean, considering I haven't liked King's stuff very much in the past. Currently reading the sequel, Doctor Sleep, which is also good.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Last night  started Being Wrong by Katherine Schultz, and so far it is excellent. You wouldn't think that a book about wrongness would be LOL-funny, but it is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."