North Korea demands an ass-kicking at the hands of South Korea.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 25, 2013, 07:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Well, I'm glad to see that the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea is living up to the usual problems with names in The People's Democratic Republic of Korea.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2013, 07:58:30 PM
Well, I'm glad to see that the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea is living up to the usual problems with names in The People's Democratic Republic of Korea.

Funny thing is, they've sort of backed themselves into a corner, here.  After a statement like that, they HAVE to act if South Korea goes with the sanctions...Or forfeit all the credibility they don't have with the wider world.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Elder Iptuous

is there any reason to think that this new Il will carry through on his sabre rattling any more than the last Il?

haven't the made direct threats and then forfeited credibility before?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on January 25, 2013, 08:01:08 PM
is there any reason to think that this new Il will carry through on his sabre rattling any more than the last Il?

haven't the made direct threats and then forfeited credibility before?

Well, yeah.  That's why I said the credibility they DON'T have.

Elder Iptuous

oic.  :lol:

i sure as hell am glad that there's some international comic relief to make sure that the US isn't the most retarded nation on earth...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is one of the most unexpectedly beautiful pictures I've seen lately:

Also, I'm concerned that North Korea is going to end up getting itself nuked, and wondering what the consequences of that would be.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 25, 2013, 09:27:31 PM

Also, I'm concerned that North Korea is going to end up getting itself nuked, and wondering what the consequences of that would be.

Well, if they nuke the DMZ, there's no question that Pyongyang meets the stratosphere within 12 hours.

And what would that mean?

About 3 million deaths, within a month or two of the city being hit.  In addition to whatever they inflicted.

The threat is funny, the possible outcomes are not.

Elder Iptuous

that is an awesome pic, Nigel.

and, i'm sure the norks understand this and will not actually do anything that (at lease they think) will result in an actual conflict of that sort...

it is my belief/understanding that they play crazy because it seems to work for them, not because they actually are.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on January 25, 2013, 09:38:48 PM
that is an awesome pic, Nigel.

and, i'm sure the norks understand this and will not actually do anything that (at lease they think) will result in an actual conflict of that sort...

it is my belief/understanding that they play crazy because it seems to work for them, not because they actually are.

IF they actually attempt an invasion, they're going to get stopped cold at the DMZ.  Then they'll get cute and try to blow a hole through the defense network.

Then cancel Christmas.  I think they're smart enough to see this, and they're just talking shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2013, 09:30:19 PM

Well, if they nuke the DMZ, there's no question that Pyongyang meets the stratosphere within 12 hours.

About 3 million deaths, within a month or two of the city being hit.  In addition to whatever they inflicted.

It's some scary shit, because the problem is that the leadership of North Korea seems to be BATSHIT INSANE.

One of the problems with a government that crazy having nukes is that they could conceivably do something that would fuck the whole world over like nuking the Van Allen belts.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 25, 2013, 09:53:43 PM

It's some scary shit, because the problem is that the leadership of North Korea seems to be BATSHIT INSANE.

One of the problems with a government that crazy having nukes is that they could conceivably do something that would fuck the whole world over like nuking the Van Allen belts.

No delivery system.  They can basically drive a truck up to the target and set it off.

The problem isn't their rockets or aircraft, it's the size of their nukes...Which have also proven to be unreliable themselves.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2013, 09:56:07 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 25, 2013, 09:53:43 PM

No delivery system.  They can basically drive a truck up to the target and set it off.

The problem isn't their rockets or aircraft, it's the size of their nukes...Which have also proven to be unreliable themselves.

Well, they have rockets now: http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/23/16669567-north-korea-rocket-launches-nuclear-tests-will-target-us?lite

and the question isn't whether they have the ability right now, it's whether they continue to develop their technology (which is exactly what all of this is about) to the point where they will have it in the future.

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, yeah, they've HAD rockets.  Thing is, their bombs weigh TONS.

Right now, it's a race between them developing proper nukes (doesn't take long, once you have the initial tech, but I don't think they're there yet), and their nation starving itself out of existence.

Doesn't that kind of choice just make you love domesticated primates?