Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 17, 2012, 03:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Don Coyote on January 17, 2012, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: Khara on January 17, 2012, 06:49:44 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on January 17, 2012, 06:40:49 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 17, 2012, 06:25:40 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on January 17, 2012, 05:23:18 PM
Roger, have you read the Gospel of Judas?

No.  I want to, though.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/_pdf/GospelofJudas.pdf

Funny how when the Covenant of Nicaea translated the other books of the bible they didn't mention any missing lines or anything.   :lulz:

The story with the Gospel of Judas is that there is only one known scroll, and it spent a lot of time poorly stored in various antiquities dealers. It was recovered relatively recently. I want to say in the 70s, so the Covenant of Nicaea wouldn't have anything to do with this. It is also likely that the other books were much better maintained.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_judas
QuoteToday the manuscript is in over a thousand pieces, with many sections missing due to poor handling and storage. Some passages are only scattered words; others contain many lines. According to Rodolphe Kasser, the codex originally contained 31 pages, with writing on both sides; however, when it came to the market in 1999, only 13 pages remained. It is speculated that individual pages had been removed and sold.

I understand, but.....  eh nevermind.

OK no, my point was how much did the covenant add in for anything that was missing?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Khara on January 17, 2012, 07:10:16 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on January 17, 2012, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: Khara on January 17, 2012, 06:49:44 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on January 17, 2012, 06:40:49 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 17, 2012, 06:25:40 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on January 17, 2012, 05:23:18 PM
Roger, have you read the Gospel of Judas?

No.  I want to, though.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/_pdf/GospelofJudas.pdf

Funny how when the Covenant of Nicaea translated the other books of the bible they didn't mention any missing lines or anything.   :lulz:

The story with the Gospel of Judas is that there is only one known scroll, and it spent a lot of time poorly stored in various antiquities dealers. It was recovered relatively recently. I want to say in the 70s, so the Covenant of Nicaea wouldn't have anything to do with this. It is also likely that the other books were much better maintained.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_judas
QuoteToday the manuscript is in over a thousand pieces, with many sections missing due to poor handling and storage. Some passages are only scattered words; others contain many lines. According to Rodolphe Kasser, the codex originally contained 31 pages, with writing on both sides; however, when it came to the market in 1999, only 13 pages remained. It is speculated that individual pages had been removed and sold.

I understand, but.....  eh nevermind.

No, I got you. You are raising doubts as to the fidelity of the content of the other books, because it's not like they had humidity controlled storage for their fragile media. It would also be easy to omit passages in translation when your lay populous is unable to read the original languages, and have no access to the original documents.
Is that your point?

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 17, 2012, 06:28:39 PM
Quote from: Luna on January 17, 2012, 06:04:17 PM
Funny, how someone who went to school to be trained to condition me to like this guy couldn't program me, even as an impressionable kid, to want to get to know him, but in a couple short bits, you make me want to meet him for a couple beers.

This is how I've always viewed Jesus.  Considering what MML&J say, minus Paul of Tarsus's crap, Jesus was the kind of guy everyone wanted to have a beer with.

I am assuming, despite all "evidence" to the contrary, that God is benevolent.  If he is, then there has to be some kind of motive for doing what's been done, and the way things are.  Most of the bad stuff, we did ourselves.  The rest of the bad stuff might not seem so bad if you get the other side of the story.

This just gave me a great idea for part III.

Glad if I helped set a spark. 

Remind me to tell you about that "Reverend" I grew up with.  My history with Holy Men was not stellar.  Could be worse, to my admittedly uncertain knowledge he never buggered any of the church kids, but he was a prime, grade A asshole.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."