News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

I have just finished Wizard and Glass of the Dark Tower series.  So far what I have to say on it is "OFUKINJESUS."  It's amazingly good, but sooooo fucked up. :(

Luna

Quote from: Nurse Freeky on March 22, 2011, 07:53:42 PM
I have just finished Wizard and Glass of the Dark Tower series.  So far what I have to say on it is "OFUKINJESUS."  It's amazingly good, but sooooo fucked up. :(

I'd avoided starting that series (mostly due to "yay, I have a Kindle, I can read ANYFING!"), worth the time?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Luna on March 22, 2011, 07:55:24 PM

I'd avoided starting that series (mostly due to "yay, I have a Kindle, I can read ANYFING!"), worth the time?

The first and fourth books are actually very, very good.  Second and third are decent.  Fifth and seventh not terrible.  Sixth book is atrocious.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Luna

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 22, 2011, 08:19:25 PM

The first and fourth books are actually very, very good.  Second and third are decent.  Fifth and seventh not terrible.  Sixth book is atrocious.

Thanks, I'll toss the series on the list. 

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 22, 2011, 08:19:25 PM

I really enjoyed the first 4 books.  The next 2 less so but still good.  I wanted to find King and run him over again after reading 7.  Now that the fucker has the balls to stick another book right into the middle of the series, forcing me to reread the entire thing, I'm thinking being run over is too good for him.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Luna

I liked pretty much all of King's stuff, up through It.

Tommyknockers was...  Well, sucked is too kind a word for it.

There was some decent stuff after that, but nothing I read that made me go "oooh."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Luna on March 23, 2011, 12:11:38 PM
I liked pretty much all of King's stuff, up through It.

Tommyknockers was...  Well, sucked is too kind a word for it.

There was some decent stuff after that, but nothing I read that made me go "oooh."

It was my first King book, in the 4th grade.  My teacher asked my to leave the book at home because she felt I was too young to be reading King.  It scared the shit out of me and to this day, I don't like getting close to sewer grates, but I always keep my eye out for balloons stuck in them.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Luna

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 23, 2011, 12:19:07 PM
It was my first King book, in the 4th grade.  My teacher asked my to leave the book at home because she felt I was too young to be reading King.  It scared the shit out of me and to this day, I don't like getting close to sewer grates, but I always keep my eye out for balloons stuck in them.

4th grade?  Ah, fuck, you make me feel old.

My kindergarten teacher thought it was cute I came to school the first day lugging a hardcover copy of Jaws...  Then she realized that when I was looking at it, my eyes were moving...  And, upon request, I started reading it out loud for her.  She turned a little green, ran up to the 5th grade classroom (the highest grade in the building), borrowed one of their reading texts, and told me I could read THAT when everyone else was plodding through "Dick and Jane."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Luna on March 23, 2011, 12:26:02 PM
Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 23, 2011, 12:19:07 PM

4th grade?  Ah, fuck, you make me feel old.

My kindergarten teacher thought it was cute I came to school the first day lugging a hardcover copy of Jaws...  Then she realized that when I was looking at it, my eyes were moving...  And, upon request, I started reading it out loud for her.  She turned a little green, ran up to the 5th grade classroom (the highest grade in the building), borrowed one of their reading texts, and told me I could read THAT when everyone else was plodding through "Dick and Jane."

I'm no spring chicken.  The parents encouraged lots of reading when I was very young.  I went from Seuss to Roald Dahl to Kipling pretty quickly.

The love affair with reading has never left the honeymoon stage even to this day.  I read anything I can get my hands on.  Except Twilight.  I refuse to read that shit on principal.

Luna

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 23, 2011, 12:37:59 PM
The love affair with reading has never left the honeymoon stage even to this day.  I read anything I can get my hands on.  Except Twilight.  I refuse to read that shit on principal.

I read the whole bloody series so I could shit on them with a clear conscience.

That, and my brother often asks my advice on what he should or shouldn't let my niece read.  He doesn't read, he knows I do.  That series got a, "it'll rot her brain, but if she wants to go through the whole series, it deserves to be rotted."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Luna on March 23, 2011, 12:44:03 PM

That, and my brother often asks my advice on what he should or shouldn't let my niece read.  He doesn't read, he knows I do.  That series got a, "it'll rot her brain, but if she wants to go through the whole series, it deserves to be rotted."

girl I've been friends with since highschool let her 9 year old read the entire series but her husband (also old friend, but bit of a nut job) called me and bitched when I lent his daughter The Hitchhikers Guide series.  Said I was treating her like a teenager and the book was too mature for her.   :lulz:

We had a falling out over that little bit of fuckery.  No great loss.  Feel sorry for the girl though.

Luna

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 23, 2011, 12:52:43 PM
Quote from: Luna on March 23, 2011, 12:44:03 PM

girl I've been friends with since highschool let her 9 year old read the entire series but her husband (also old friend, but bit of a nut job) called me and bitched when I lent his daughter The Hitchhikers Guide series.  Said I was treating her like a teenager and the book was too mature for her.   :lulz:

We had a falling out over that little bit of fuckery.  No great loss.  Feel sorry for the girl though.

Yeesh.  The only time my parents ever kicked about anything I read was when Mom caught me with one of Heinlein's more adult books when I was 11 or so.  She made dad reorganize the shelves, but the ones I COULD read on one shelf, the ones I couldn't on another.  (That made them the "living room" books, and the "sneak in the bedroom and read under the covers" books.)

Faust

The only good books connected to the dark tower series are Rose Madder, Black house and Hearts in Atlantis. In the main series the first book was good and the second had good ideas if not a well portrayed story. Everything else is shit
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Faust on March 23, 2011, 01:31:25 PM
The only good books connected to the dark tower series are Rose Madder, Black house and Hearts in Atlantis. In the main series the first book was good and the second had good ideas if not a well portrayed story. Everything else is shit

I really enjoyed The Stand, it was just a chore to get through some of the character building IMO.  From a Buick 8 was decent, if loosely tied in, and Eyes of The Dragon was a quick and fun read.  Also liked Insomnia, and really hoped the Docs would show up in TDT.  Black House came out so long after The Talisman that I should really re-read them back to back.  Both great books.

Jenne

Ayaan Hirsi's Infidel.  Reads a lot like A Thousand Splendid Suns.