News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

The Smartphone Thread

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, November 25, 2009, 01:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Unlocked means it has been altered to allow unapproved apps to be intstalled.

Ratssinis

I got a new iPhone just last month, a little 8gig baby but it suits me fine. Not jailbroken I fear the celluarial repo man too much.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Felix on January 04, 2010, 12:47:33 AM
I internetted it. Unlocking is to do with freeing it to be used with any carrier, and jailbreaking is allowing any apps to be installed - possibly, but not definitely, including a new operating system.

An "open phone" would be something that you could do anything on. I was involved very peripherally with OpenMoko at the start - that was open source all the way, and even the hardware specs were open, not a single binary blob anywhere - not even the GPS or GSM code was locked. All in all, it's a shame it still isn't ready/polished/stable enough to be used as a primary phone.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Ratssinis on January 04, 2010, 01:54:56 AM
I got a new iPhone just last month, a little 8gig baby but it suits me fine. Not jailbroken I fear the celluarial repo man too much.
A lot of iPhones are jailbroken, I saw a 5-8% estimate. Large enough that Apple probably won't cripple them due to the PR fallout.

Triple Zero

Quote from: FP on January 04, 2010, 02:25:38 AM
Quote from: Felix on January 04, 2010, 12:47:33 AM
I internetted it. Unlocking is to do with freeing it to be used with any carrier, and jailbreaking is allowing any apps to be installed - possibly, but not definitely, including a new operating system.

That sounds about right.

My simple Samsung phone (plays mp3s, crappy camera, alarm+calender function, bluetooth) is unlocked but not jailbroken.

I wanted to try if I could run Java apps on it. Apparently it has the JVM to run Java [a few of the games it came with are in Java], and you can upload files to it using bluetooth but once the java app is on the phone there is no way to run it :) Think of it as having a windows file explorer that allows you to view photos and play mp3s but not doubleclick on any other application icons :)

So I googled on how to fix that.

Which is why I have respect for those Morrocans unlocking my phones, all those "codez" forums talking about this shit are a complete mess of kiddos begging for how to unlock their shit and it takes ages of browsing before you collect any useful information. I still think E10 is kind of much for something that is really simple once you know how to do it (you dont even need special hardware, usually), so I usually try to barter E15 to unlock two of them [easy enough if there's 3 of those shops in the same street].

Anyway it appears that if you download some tools to go lowlevel on the bluetooth connection, and then you use some special java diagnostic code *#JAVATEST* you can upload a .jar archive and get it to run. Except I haven't managed to pull it off but the fact that I do get into some special java test menu tells me that there's probably a solution there.

However when that didn't work after a few tries I was like fuck it, it's just simple java apps I can live without those. This thing makes phone calls and that's pretty cool.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

So I just found an app called Urban Spoon:

You specify location, food type, and price range and then shake your phone. Your phone then spits out a food suggestion along with the establishment's rating, an address you can navigate to and their phone number. Seems like winsauce for any food dilemma.

So far it's available for Android and OS X Mobile. Scan the QR code if you've got an Android phone or search for it in the Market/App Store.

Jenne

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 15, 2010, 12:28:14 AM
So I just found an app called Urban Spoon:

You specify location, food type, and price range and then shake your phone. Your phone then spits out a food suggestion along with the establishment's rating, an address you can navigate to and their phone number. Seems like winsauce for any food dilemma.

So far it's available for Android and OS X Mobile. Scan the QR code if you've got an Android phone or search for it in the Market/App Store.

LOVE Urbanspoon, but I'm finding AroundMe is my newest love of app's--over Yelp that is.

Jenne

Quote from: Ratssinis on January 04, 2010, 01:54:56 AM

My husband jailbroke his only to put it back about a week later.  Instead of an apple, it had a pineapple when you turned it on/off.  That made me :lol:

Jasper

So uh, how bout that new nexus one?  Looks neat.

Captain Utopia

If I had to get a phone right now, it'd be my choice.  Though I still pine for a phone I can get root on, without voiding the warranty.  :argh!:

If the Nexus 1 had a keyboard, I'd go for it.

AFAIK, rooting any Android phone will not void any warranties. Same goes for WebOS phones.

The only phone that you break the warranty by doing this is the iPhone.

Speaking of root:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/16/nokia-n900-gets-new-firmware-new-games-coming-too-video/
^this might be the phone that interests you. Maemo is another Linux-based mobile OS and Nokia is very hack friendly.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit