News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

7 Bizarre Trends That Predict an Economic Collapse

Started by Lord Cataplanga, December 11, 2011, 04:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel on December 14, 2011, 04:59:04 PM
Jesus fuck, the pointless fucking pedanticism in this thread is making me feel like I accidentally stumbled into a colony populated by the genetic spawn of Enki and Requia.

What color car are they driving?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"You have pointed out that bland car colors are vastly more popular prior to and during a recession, so I am going to argue pedantically about something having to do with cause and effect, even though you never said a fucking thing about cause and effect. Because it makes me feel smart even though it's a non-argument".

I guess it's the small things in life that bring you a sense of validation, right?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 14, 2011, 05:00:47 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 14, 2011, 04:59:04 PM
Jesus fuck, the pointless fucking pedanticism in this thread is making me feel like I accidentally stumbled into a colony populated by the genetic spawn of Enki and Requia.

What color car are they driving?

FUCKING CHRISTMAS GREEN.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

That colony must have a pretty good economy, then.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

AFK

Quote from: Nigel on December 14, 2011, 05:01:09 PM
"You have pointed out that bland car colors are vastly more popular prior to and during a recession, so I am going to argue pedantically about something having to do with cause and effect, even though you never said a fucking thing about cause and effect. Because it makes me feel smart even though it's a non-argument".

I guess it's the small things in life that bring you a sense of validation, right?

No, but pushing big angry red buttons does make me giggle.   :mrgreen:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 14, 2011, 05:01:57 PM
That colony must have a pretty good economy, then.

Damned straight. 

MLIAC,
Upper Middle Class Pedant

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 14, 2011, 05:12:30 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 14, 2011, 05:01:09 PM

No, but pushing big angry red buttons does make me giggle.   :mrgreen:

Your momma must be proud.

AFK

Oh dear, did the witty comeback trend go bearish? 

Dysfunctional Cunt

Back to the color subject, I was curious enough to go hunting for why there should be a color increase or decrease during a recession... For which I couldn't find anything, however the two articles below were  interesting and the AutoWeek one seems to imply that neutral colored cars have been the "trend" for a number of years now, even before the recession.

http://www.decisivemagazine.com/automotive/auto-tech/mobility-money-mood-marketing-sway-car-color-choices

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101207/CARNEWS/101209917

Very interesting breakdown there.

I'm not sure why Silver is included in neutral though...  :?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Neutral colors will always be the top sellers for obvious reasons. Sort of like how off-white paint is always the most popular. What I find interesting is that the brighter colors seem to (by my observations) decline in popularity prior to and during a recession compared to their popularity during an economic boom.

The fact that car companies don't even bother to offer them as options also fascinates me. In 2007 a brand-new Mini Cooper had a two to six month lead time... they hadn't made the damn thing yet when you ordered it, and they would paint it any one of perhaps two dozen colors that were available. Now, they offer them in eight colors, the most colorful of which is a somewhat subdued red. They also have dark green. In 2007, color options included coral red, yellow, lime, pink, and orange.

It doesn't cost more for the manufacturer to offer these options. But they don't, and one would presume that the reason is that people don't order bright colors during a recession.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on December 13, 2011, 08:21:34 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on December 13, 2011, 07:14:53 PM
One thing I was told when I saw a bright green car and said "We should get one of those!" is that they are harder to trade back in when you buy a new one, so that could be a reason (don't have any statistics to back it up either).

Is total bullshit. Statistically speaking. People are superstitious assholes.

Um, okay, but what if the car dealer says this? I mean I can imagine

"Well, there's not a lot of demand for bright green cars, so it's going to be harder to sell it again, therefore I can't offer you as much trade-in value."

Sure it might be bullshit but they'd say anything to get a better deal out of it, right?

Though I'm basically just wondering, because I have exactly zero experience in buying cars, let alone trading back in a used one :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 14, 2011, 08:44:23 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 13, 2011, 08:21:34 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on December 13, 2011, 07:14:53 PM
One thing I was told when I saw a bright green car and said "We should get one of those!" is that they are harder to trade back in when you buy a new one, so that could be a reason (don't have any statistics to back it up either).

Is total bullshit. Statistically speaking. People are superstitious assholes.

Um, okay, but what if the car dealer says this? I mean I can imagine

"Well, there's not a lot of demand for bright green cars, so it's going to be harder to sell it again, therefore I can't offer you as much trade-in value."

Sure it might be bullshit but they'd say anything to get a better deal out of it, right?

Though I'm basically just wondering, because I have exactly zero experience in buying cars, let alone trading back in a used one :)

What if? :?

I don't even understand the point of bringing up this imaginary scenario.

AFK