News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

4-Year-Old Able To Be Sued, NY Judge Rules

Started by Psychonomaly, October 30, 2010, 02:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psychonomaly

Toddlers Racing Bikes On Sidewalk Struck An Old Woman, Who Later Died, And Now May Be Held Accountable For Their Negligence

Quote(CBS)  A "bright line" has been drawn for future negligence cases by New York State Supreme Court Justice Paul Wooten, who ruled this week that 4-year-olds approaching their fifth birthday are not "presumed incapable of negligence," The New York Times reports.

Justice Wooten was referring in this case to Juliet Breitman, who had been racing her training-wheel-laden bike against fellow toddler Jacob Kohn on East 52nd Street in Manhattan two years ago when they struck 87-year-old Claire Menagh. The elderly woman suffered a hip fracture and died three weeks later.

Ms. Menagh's estate sued the children and their parents, who had been supervising the kids at the time of the accident, claiming negligence on everyone's behalf. Breitman and her mother's lawyer, James P. Tyrie, sought to dismiss the suit against the toddler by arguing that the girl was not "engaged in an adult activity" at the time of the accident - "She was riding her bicycle with training wheels under the supervision of her mother" - and was too young to be held liable for negligence, the Times reports. Kohn and his mother did not seek to dismiss the suit.

Tyrie argued that the precedent had been set by previous courts who have held that "an infant under the age of 4 is conclusively presumed to be incapable of negligence."

Justice Wooten, however, ultimately disagreed with Tyrie's arguments, noting that Breitman was three months shy of her fifth birthday at the time of the accident. The Gothamist reports that Justice Wooten's ruling stated: "A parent's presence alone does not give a reasonable child carte blanche to engage in risky behavior such as running across the street. A reasonably prudent child, whom we may presume has been told repeatedly by the age of four to look both ways before crossing a street, knows that running across a street is dangerous even if there is a parent nearby." And furthermore, the defense failed to prove any "lack of intelligence or maturity" or anything to "indicate that another child of similar age and capacity under the circumstances could not have reasonably appreciated the danger of riding a bicycle into an elderly woman."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/29/national/main7003546.shtml

Chairman Risus

So, what do you win once you've successfully sued a 4 year old?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Risus on October 30, 2010, 02:52:32 AM

You get to take all their cookies and toys.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Iason Ouabache

Everything that the parents own. This is bullshit, btw. If a kid can't legally sign a contract (let alone her own name) then they should not be held liable for negligence.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Telarus

I agree. You have to prove negligence on the part of the parent. WTF is wrong with our legal system.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Psychonomaly

Doktor Howl

A retarded, litigious society.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

Tempest Virago

This is the stupidest thing I have heard today, and considering it's almost 8pm, that's a lot of day where I could have heard something stupider. Impressive!

Jasper

4 years.  The time it takes for a newborn to kill a senior citizen.  Guinness experts and legal system baffled.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 30, 2010, 04:20:44 AM
4 years.  The time it takes for a newborn to kill a senior citizen.  Guinness experts and legal system baffled.

Well, in the spirit of this election season, I hope the old lady apologized before she died.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 30, 2010, 05:07:52 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 30, 2010, 04:20:44 AM

Well, in the spirit of this election season, I hope the old lady apologized before she died.

:x
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

That old lady was probably claiming social security.  The unproductive leech had it coming.

Kai

So, does this suddenly make pedophilia okay? Because if children don't have any "lack of intelligence or maturity" then they might as well be adults.  :x :x :x :x :x
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cramulus

I just can't wait to be sued by a 4-year old

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on November 01, 2010, 02:54:03 PM
I just can't wait to be sued by a 4-year old

I hear it's as easy as taking candy from a baby!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.