News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: 50 Shades of Chronic Liver Disease

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 13, 2014, 10:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Oh fuck yes. Pre-destitute. That's fucking perfect.

"Why are you studying Bookbinding and ancient mime college Timmy?"

"Well I love reading and I'm aiming to be pre-destitute by my mid to late 30's and this seems like the surest way"
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Pæs

HERE IS A LIST OF RANDOM HAPPENINGS WHICH CAN CATAPULT YOU INTO POVERTY.

And here is a much smaller collection of random happenings which might bring you riches.

But yeah, the latter are probably going to happen.

Junkenstein

"Million to one shots are a sure thing" - T. Pratchett, badly remembered.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 22, 2014, 10:38:07 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 22, 2014, 10:00:09 PM

I almost died when a truck ran a red light and stopped six inches short of the bus, which it was about to T-bone right where I was sitting. OK, so maybe I wouldn't have died, but it would have hells of sucked.

You know, I try to tell my brother this shit.  You can be on top of the world, like he is, smugly convinced that you put yourself there all on your lonesome, and an accident that you have NO control over can throw you right into the shitter.

In fact, it occurs to me that people are far more likely to be pre-destitute than they are to be pre-rich.

Rant brewing.

Absolutely! It's weird, because my thought as I watched this guy run the red light and come at the bus, which was still moving, in that moment before he realized that he was about to drive into the bus and as I realized that the trajectory of the intersection between the two moving objects was approximately me, was "but it's all been going so well". And then he hit the brakes. So it's all still going well, but it almost went to shit just then, in a way that had nothing to do with anything I should or shouldn't have done.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 22, 2014, 11:10:56 PM

I almost died when a truck ran a red light and stopped six inches short of the bus, which it was about to T-bone right where I was sitting. OK, so maybe I wouldn't have died, but it would have hells of sucked.

You know, I try to tell my brother this shit.  You can be on top of the world, like he is, smugly convinced that you put yourself there all on your lonesome, and an accident that you have NO control over can throw you right into the shitter.

In fact, it occurs to me that people are far more likely to be pre-destitute than they are to be pre-rich.

Rant brewing.

Absolutely! It's weird, because my thought as I watched this guy run the red light and come at the bus, which was still moving, in that moment before he realized that he was about to drive into the bus and as I realized that the trajectory of the intersection between the two moving objects was approximately me, was "but it's all been going so well". And then he hit the brakes. So it's all still going well, but it almost went to shit just then, in a way that had nothing to do with anything I should or shouldn't have done.

Yep.  My brother, though, lives in a slightly different universe than you and I.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 22, 2014, 11:14:06 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 22, 2014, 11:10:56 PM

Rant brewing.

Yep.  My brother, though, lives in a slightly different universe than you and I.

He will, until something bad happens to him.

People like that tend to use their conviction that the Universe is merit-based to reassure themselves that nothing bad can happen to them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, it's been a fun hour. Back to school with me.

Suu

Leaving on my rail adventure tomorrow. I'll check in as signal and wifi coverage allows. These trains go through a lot of bumfuck. I solemnly swear not to East Coast the fuck out of the Midwest, no matter how much they deserve it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 22, 2014, 06:32:22 PM
Interesting conversation on FB about which subway line in Boston is "the best": Orange Line or Red Line.  A lot of people are supporting the Red line.  As I live on the orange line, I'm backing that one, but a lot of people are disparaging of it.  However, I noticed something...  Could be coincidental.

Red Line stops: Southie (traditionally white). Kendall  (white).  Harvard (duh). Somerville (white). Alewife (white).
Orange Line stops: Forest Hills (black), Jackson Square (black/Latino), Roxbury (black), Chinatown (duh, part 2).

Ok, there are outliers. The Orange Line does go through Charlestown (working class white) and into Malden (white), and the Red Line goes into Dorchester (black).  Still, it did give me pause.

You are aware that Boston in general is, like, SUPER DUPER racist, right?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cainad (dec.)

I was an hour late for my geology quiz because I was working on my chemistry lab and for some reason I thought geology lab was at 1. The instructor did not give a single fuck, and I was done at the normal time so all's well that ends well.

Geologic time.

No, I am not going to stop making these shit jokes. It's the closest thing I have to rocks ever since my career trajectory turned the -ology into -ography.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 22, 2014, 03:36:04 PM
Request for honest feedback:  should I continue with my Colombia/Necronomicoin storyline, or is it losing steam?

I read the whole thing and then immediately poomped out a page of writing, and I know pretty well where I'm going for the next page.

So, it's still got mojo.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on April 22, 2014, 09:43:23 PM
So the thing on my back, that the doctor froze off some months ago, is back. And it brought friends. Anyone got a sharped melon baller I can borrow?

I hope it's all going to be good, CPD.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on April 22, 2014, 09:48:52 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 22, 2014, 06:32:22 PM
Interesting conversation on FB about which subway line in Boston is "the best": Orange Line or Red Line.  A lot of people are supporting the Red line.  As I live on the orange line, I'm backing that one, but a lot of people are disparaging of it.  However, I noticed something...  Could be coincidental.

Red Line stops: Southie (traditionally white). Kendall  (white).  Harvard (duh). Somerville (white). Alewife (white).
Orange Line stops: Forest Hills (black), Jackson Square (black/Latino), Roxbury (black), Chinatown (duh, part 2).

Ok, there are outliers. The Orange Line does go through Charlestown (working class white) and into Malden (white), and the Red Line goes into Dorchester (black).  Still, it did give me pause.

Oh my god. That's almost the most inane conversation imaginable.

I think I should try to get one of those started on Facebook about the MAX. YELLOW LINE ALL THE WAY, BITCHEZ!

I can totally understand what LMNO is talking about. And of course, I also live on the Orange Line, albeit on the other end of it. It's one of those odd things I never consider because I just take it all the time. I live on the Orange Line, in a fairly heavily South American neighborhood, and Villager lives near the Red Line in a largely middle class Irish American neighborhood that is otherwise considered inner city. And the Green Line does blow the most. It is actually the most  heavily ridden subway line in the United States. At least it was as of 2012. I don't expect the stats would have changed much over 2 years.

Villager's parents were afraid for her when she moved to Dorchester.  They're old white people. I like Dorchester. Granted, Villager's car did get broken into, but so did everyone else's. Stupid kids trying to get a quick buck on Christmas by breaking into every car on the block (and still missing the envelope in the glove compartment labeled "$90 for Kevin"). Never happened before, never happened since.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on April 23, 2014, 03:15:24 AM
I was an hour late for my geology quiz because I was working on my chemistry lab and for some reason I thought geology lab was at 1. The instructor did not give a single fuck, and I was done at the normal time so all's well that ends well.

Geologic time.

No, I am not going to stop making these shit jokes. It's the closest thing I have to rocks ever since my career trajectory turned the -ology into -ography.

It's a delightfully laid-back class, that's for sure. It's a far cry from the frenzied equations of Chemistry or the information overload of Biology.

I still love Biology best, though.

I just got home from my Chemistry lab. You know what? My professor lied when she said labs were going to ease up this term. She lied her lying ass off. And you know what's boring as fuck? Titrations. I really did not enjoy being in the lab doing  titrations until nine-fifteen. And she argued with me about how I did my concentration calculation because I did it differently from how she does hers, I'm like, no, this is totally right, why do you suck at math? Only I didn't say that.

Sorry, now I'm just ranting. I fucking hate chemistry, though.

I really managed to fuck myself this term. I mean, I'm only taking 14 credits, yet somehow I'm in the classroom an average of 5 hours a day and in transit an average of 2 hours a day, meaning I'm supposed to do my job, take care of my kids, and do 40 hours of homework in the remaining 9 hours of awake time. Oh, and shower. Somehow I'm supposed to shower. I don't have time for grooming, I don't even know what I look like anymore.