News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

BIRTH OF A NATION

Started by E.O.T., April 04, 2010, 02:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

http://romesentinel.com/news?newsid=20100324-141023

QUOTE - "In my opinion, The Birth of a Nation should not be shown in this City or any city," Brown said. "I think it is offensive and I agree with members of the black community who feel that this showing will only add to the racial backlash they have personally experienced. I am appalled that the Capitol continues to press for the film's showing over the objections of our black community. As a veteran, I fought to support people's First Amendment rights; however, I believe that this showing sets a hostile and potentially dangerous precedent, and I request that Mr. Pierce meet with his board of directors to discuss this matter immediately and reconsider its position."

Pierce said in his March 20 letter to the editor responding to Sellers: it will be for "individual members of the audience to judge the film for themselves. I hope (they)...will appreciate our position and ultimately agree that the public can better understand the racist aspects of this film ­ and perhaps racism in film and media in general ­ if it is exhibited for all to see."

Pierce noted that libraries across Upstate New York offer the movie for people to view, often without the context the theater intends to provide with its introduction and discussion. There is a DVD copy at Jervis Public Library, according to its web site. Even the mayor concedes that there's nothing formal he can do to stop the film. "One of the things that makes our country so special is that we do not censure books or movies in our democracy," Brown said.

"If (the mayor) can't intercede, that's OK," Sellers said, "but we're not going to leave it at that." He said there is another meeting scheduled with the mayor on March 31, and he and others in the black community are discussion other plans in place, including a picket of the theater if necessary. "We don't want to picket," he said, "but it's up to the black community to make a stand."

THIS KIND OF

censorship activism reminds me of the anarchist groups here in Portland, Oregon who try to shut down information events simply because they have the opinion that they disagree with the content being represented. these are the real freedom fighters, fighting against freedom. and intelligence. imo.

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Doktor Howl

It's the vendor's right to show the film.  It's the public's right to shun him til he goes out of business. 

Everyone wins.

The mayor isn't trying to use the law to stop the film.  Where's the censorship?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But E.O.T., on this day two thousand and ten years ago, the first zombie arose from his tomb in search of hard-boiled eggs and chocolate bunnies. Jesus taught us not to fear zombies, because they are cuddly and harmless and they make rabbits lay colored eggs. These are the values and principles our great nation is founded on. Therefore it is acceptable for mayors to use their positions of political influence to try to intimidate venues into suppressing controversial films. Why do you hate America?   
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 04, 2010, 09:49:37 PM
It's the vendor's right to show the film.  It's the public's right to shun him til he goes out of business. 

Everyone wins.

The mayor isn't trying to use the law to stop the film.  Where's the censorship?

THE

anti-racist groups here in Portland don't use the law to encourage their form of censorship. Where it begins is "asking" the Theater to not show the film.
QUOTE: Brown's comments come after a letter to the editor published March 18 in the Sentinel, where Rome resident Nathan Sellers accused the theater with promoting racism and also asked the theater to cancel the film. "(It's) a racist, malicious propaganda film depicting the newly elected African-Americans in Congress," said Sellers. "The film shows white actors in black faces, portraying African-Americans as buffoons. This derogatory film should incense anyone who views it."
We'll see what happens at the night of the showing.

THE

film is about way more than just issues of race, but also, simply because it does address race issues from the 1850's - 1900, it's a unique and very interesting film. It's also quite long and it's a silent film, doubtful that skinheads will come running to watch this, since one will need to be able to read.

It's total ignorance to ask, especially in a vocal manner by the Mayor -  "...and I request that Mr. Pierce meet with his board of directors to discuss this matter immediately and reconsider its position." that a piece of history be suppressed.  It's a time capsule of human personal, social and political struggle and growth. Like an Elijah Muhammed recording, or a book by G.L. Rockwell, Forcing it into the shadows, for fear of examination, is to me, not winning. I doubt that more than 2% of those who oppose the showing of this film have ever actually seen it themselves.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: E.O.T. on April 05, 2010, 01:31:07 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 04, 2010, 09:49:37 PM

Everyone wins.

THE

anti-racist groups here in Portland don't use the law to encourage their form of censorship. Where it begins is "asking" the Theater to not show the film.
QUOTE: Brown's comments come after a letter to the editor published March 18 in the Sentinel, where Rome resident Nathan Sellers accused the theater with promoting racism and also asked the theater to cancel the film. "(It's) a racist, malicious propaganda film depicting the newly elected African-Americans in Congress," said Sellers. "The film shows white actors in black faces, portraying African-Americans as buffoons. This derogatory film should incense anyone who views it."
We'll see what happens at the night of the showing.

THE

film is about way more than just issues of race, but also, simply because it does address race issues from the 1850's - 1900, it's a unique and very interesting film. It's also quite long and it's a silent film, doubtful that skinheads will come running to watch this, since one will need to be able to read.

It's total ignorance to ask, especially in a vocal manner by the Mayor -  "...and I request that Mr. Pierce meet with his board of directors to discuss this matter immediately and reconsider its position." that a piece of history be suppressed.  It's a time capsule of human personal, social and political struggle and growth. Like an Elijah Muhammed recording, or a book by G.L. Rockwell, Forcing it into the shadows, for fear of examination, is to me, not winning. I doubt that more than 2% of those who oppose the showing of this film have ever actually seen it themselves.

So, it's not censorship, it's one PAC asking another to not show a movie?  And the theaters have the option to refuse and show it anyway?
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

I'M NOT

certain what a PAC is

HOWEVER,

i said censorship activism - not that the film was being censored by the state - Groups of/ and/ or people who want to stop information because they disagree with it.

AND

i said that this call to stop the film from playing, reminded me of the "anti-racist" action groups here in Portland. i do think that the mayor stepping in is a lowly, ignorant move, but our mayor would probably do the same thing.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: E.O.T. on April 05, 2010, 03:24:46 AM
I'M NOT

certain what a PAC is

HOWEVER,

i said censorship activism - not that the film was being censored by the state - Groups of/ and/ or people who want to stop information because they disagree with it.

AND

i said that this call to stop the film from playing, reminded me of the "anti-racist" action groups here in Portland. i do think that the mayor stepping in is a lowly, ignorant move, but our mayor would probably do the same thing.

A PAC is a political action committee.  And there is precisely nothing wrong with trying to convince a theater to not air something you think is objectionable, but there IS a problem trying to coerce them.  And the mayor in this case did say there was nothing he could do.

Personally, if a theater in my area played Birth of a Nation, I wouldn't say anything.  But I wouldn't patronize that theater again, either.  But then again, I've already seen it, and formed an opinion of it.  I trust that my fellow citizens have the intelligence to do the same (or they already agreed with the general sentiment of the film in the first place).
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 05, 2010, 04:01:18 AM
I'M NOT

certain what a PAC is

HOWEVER,

AND

A PAC is a political action committee.  And there is precisely nothing wrong with trying to convince a theater to not air something you think is objectionable, but there IS a problem trying to coerce them.  And the mayor in this case did say there was nothing he could do.

Personally, if a theater in my area played Birth of a Nation, I wouldn't say anything.  But I wouldn't patronize that theater again, either.  But then again, I've already seen it, and formed an opinion of it.  I trust that my fellow citizens have the intelligence to do the same (or they already agreed with the general sentiment of the film in the first place).

DOK

you are just full of piss n vinegar today.

I THINK

QUOTE: "We are going to show the film," said Pierce. The point of the showing, he said, is not to promote racism, but to show where the country has been, where it is now and how to avoid repeating mistakes of the past. In addition to the movie, there will be a scholarly introduction and a panel discussion on racist aspects after the film with public comment. "We're doing the responsible thing," said Pierce. "This is a film that needs to be shown. It's also a racist film, and we're not trying to cover that up. This is an extreme way blacks were portrayed in film in 1915, and that should be discussed. There can be positives brought out of this."

is favourable to having a simply black or white reaction.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: E.O.T. on April 05, 2010, 04:19:10 AM
I'M NOT

certain what a PAC is

HOWEVER,

AND

DOK

you are just full of piss n vinegar today.

I THINK

QUOTE: "We are going to show the film," said Pierce. The point of the showing, he said, is not to promote racism, but to show where the country has been, where it is now and how to avoid repeating mistakes of the past. In addition to the movie, there will be a scholarly introduction and a panel discussion on racist aspects after the film with public comment. "We're doing the responsible thing," said Pierce. "This is a film that needs to be shown. It's also a racist film, and we're not trying to cover that up. This is an extreme way blacks were portrayed in film in 1915, and that should be discussed. There can be positives brought out of this."

is favourable to having a simply black or white reaction.

Sure, but you live in Portland.  I live in Arizona.  Here, Poe's Law would kick in.  People really think like that down here.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

I'M NOT

certain what a PAC is

HOWEVER,

AND

I was going to say this.
but now i won't have to.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

E.O.T.

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on April 04, 2010, 10:29:17 PM
But E.O.T., on this day two thousand and ten years ago, the first zombie arose from his tomb in search of hard-boiled eggs and chocolate bunnies. Jesus taught us not to fear zombies, because they are cuddly and harmless and they make rabbits lay colored eggs. These are the values and principles our great nation is founded on. Therefore it is acceptable for mayors to use their positions of political influence to try to intimidate venues into suppressing controversial films. Why do you hate America?   

I HATE AMERICA

because there just are not enough nazis here