PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Your vote

Started by Adios, August 02, 2010, 04:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Cain on August 04, 2010, 04:12:00 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 04, 2010, 02:15:37 AM
I am amused by the fact the Australian conservative party is called the Liberal party.  I think it is because they are on the other side of the world and everything is upside down there.

Laissez-faire economics are Liberal however....by the 19th century, original meaning of the word, and most Liberal parties in Europe and, as mentioned, Australia, are centre-right, not centre-left in their beliefs, at least on economic issues (some are quite libertarian on social issues, whereas others, like the Australian Liberal Party, are less so).

It's not our fault the American ideological labelling system makes no sense when compared to the rest of the world.

Seeing those differences is what makes it so interesting to me.

Placid Dingo

Cool. I asked for an opinion so I don't want to turn around and be a jackass about it but I would like to just make a handful of points.

1. Most Greens voters focus on the importance of having Greens as an influence, and don't really worry to much about the policies that they'd need to be in government to bring in. The good of these guys in a ballence of power is that they're pretty smooth negotiators and can win favours from the people upstairs.

2. The money. I've had some dealing with these people, and generally they move towards cutting 'unneeded' projects. It wouldn't be characteristic of the Greens to cut teacher salary.

3. Pro-drugs is more a PR disaster that the major parties have really managed to paint the Greens with. The actual policy is decriminalisation of marijuana, which most people who ARE pro drugs would say doesn't go far enough. I'm not sure of the top of my head where they stand on medical use.

That said, they're no more perfect than anyone else, so take it all as you will.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Cain on August 04, 2010, 04:12:00 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 04, 2010, 02:15:37 AM
I am amused by the fact the Australian conservative party is called the Liberal party.  I think it is because they are on the other side of the world and everything is upside down there.

Laissez-faire economics are Liberal however....by the 19th century, original meaning of the word, and most Liberal parties in Europe and, as mentioned, Australia, are centre-right, not centre-left in their beliefs, at least on economic issues (some are quite libertarian on social issues, whereas others, like the Australian Liberal Party, are less so).

It's not our fault the American ideological labelling system makes no sense when compared to the rest of the world.
I know.  I bet it makes our demagogues stumble over their words sometimes when having conversations with their ideological allies from other countries though.  Considering they use Liberal as the worst possible of words.  (although they have been switching over to progressive as the worst possible word lately)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

NotPublished

Quote from: Placid Dingo on August 05, 2010, 10:48:11 AM
Cool. I asked for an opinion so I don't want to turn around and be a jackass about it but I would like to just make a handful of points.

1. Most Greens voters focus on the importance of having Greens as an influence, and don't really worry to much about the policies that they'd need to be in government to bring in. The good of these guys in a ballence of power is that they're pretty smooth negotiators and can win favours from the people upstairs.

2. The money. I've had some dealing with these people, and generally they move towards cutting 'unneeded' projects. It wouldn't be characteristic of the Greens to cut teacher salary.

3. Pro-drugs is more a PR disaster that the major parties have really managed to paint the Greens with. The actual policy is decriminalisation of marijuana, which most people who ARE pro drugs would say doesn't go far enough. I'm not sure of the top of my head where they stand on medical use.

That said, they're no more perfect than anyone else, so take it all as you will.

I can dig that, haha I guess the deadline is coming up soon ... But what are the undeeded projects? Do we currently take on that many undeeded projects that put a constant strain on the funding? .. Well I guess we do, but what deserves to be cut and what doesn't?

I forgot my other questions ... am totally braindead
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.