News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

The TROOF about Discordians.

Started by Zurtok Khan, December 10, 2005, 08:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe
Quote from: Zurtok Khan
Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerI am the Good Reverend Roger, and I approve of this product.

9.7/10.  I believe this is the highest score I have ever given.  This is really good stuff.

I wonder if you would allow it to be included as an appendix to the Gospel(tm)?

TGRR,
Stands in awe.

What Gospel?

The Gospel According to Roger. Its at POEE UK.

The very beginnings are at POEE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustlewhere, I might add, your presence is most likely very unwelcome.

(I'm speaking to ZK here)

Why do you say that?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The seer

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The seerI disagree.

With what?

The seer

Pretty much everything in this thread.

Though perhaps you might clear that up for me.
Is discordianism a spiritual and/or religious practice to you and/or ZK or do you treat it as something else? Because as it appears to me from the description you're describing socially desirable personality traits before someone can have the label "Discordian" so if you think of it that way it sounds more like a "good housekeeping" article.

I suppose that may have some kind of use in a religious sense but I don't see it having much to do with the spiritual side.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The seerPretty much everything in this thread.

Though perhaps you might clear that up for me.
Is discordianism a spiritual and/or religious practice to you and/or ZK or do you treat it as something else? Because as it appears to me from the description you're describing socially desirable personality traits before someone can have the label "Discordian" so if you think of it that way it sounds more like a "good housekeeping" article.

I suppose that may have some kind of use in a religious sense but I don't see it having much to do with the spiritual side.

I can only speak for me, but:

1.  No, it's not a religion, to me...insomuch that I do not worship a minor Greek diety.  It is, instead, a way of life.   This, of course, leading to the question:  Discordianism...A religion, a philosophy, or just one more excuse for assholes?

2.  I don't see any spirituality in Discordianism, whatsoever.  It doesn't seem to be designed for that, as far as I can tell.  Seriously..."spirituality" involving hot dog buns?  That's as goofy as the Christians basing spirituality on an execution tool.

Chlorine

The seer

Quote from: ChlorineBut Seer, does it even matter? :o

maybe not to you.
Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerI can only speak for me, but:

1.  No, it's not a religion, to me...insomuch that I do not worship a minor Greek diety.  It is, instead, a way of life.   This, of course, leading to the question:  Discordianism...A religion, a philosophy, or just one more excuse for assholes?

2.  I don't see any spirituality in Discordianism, whatsoever.  It doesn't seem to be designed for that, as far as I can tell.  Seriously..."spirituality" involving hot dog buns?  That's as goofy as the Christians basing spirituality on an execution tool.
Roger. If Discordianism is about thinking outside the box, so to would any spiritual practice be thinking outside the box. For everything you've described, your thinking of it as a religion in comparison to other religions, The hot dog buns are a parody, a useless icon that is obviously useless, like all other religious icons, which are covertly useless.
Furthermore, the message reveals something about the reader, I ask you which person would be more spiritual. Someone who can only experience the divine inside a holy institution doing ritualised holy things with ordained holy figures officiating, or someone who can experience the divine by eating a sausage wrapped in a bread roll?

I'm very militant about that point, because as you may or may not becoming aware of, the world is run by religious people who only experience god in contrived settings. This actually makes them dangerous. There are various reasons why as I'm sure you could make a list.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The seer

I'm very militant about that point, because as you may or may not becoming aware of, the world is run by religious people who only experience god in contrived settings. This actually makes them dangerous. There are various reasons why as I'm sure you could make a list.

You're militant about militancy?

Injecting some pseudo-spirituality into Discordianism would make it even more of a part of the problem than it already is.

Injecting the REAL thing would be even worse.

The world has too much spirituality already.  Let the other "religions" make shit up about an invisible world...we should be concentrating on the real world...because things are fucked up - VERY fucked up - and living in a dream world isn't going to make things any better.

There is no "mahdgjickque", there is no bearded liberal in the sky.  All of these lies are there to convince you to knuckle under, in expectation of better things that await you, if only you'll shut the hell up and play ball.

Fuck spirituality, in ANY form.  It's the problem, not the answer.

Chlorine

Quote from: ChlorineBut Seer, does it even matter? :o

maybe not to you.
You're right!

Have fun then.

The seer

The message reveals something about the reader.

I actually agree with you and my position is unchanged.

So please say 'WTF?' and have a thought.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The seerThe message reveals something about the reader.

1.  Don't come peddling you quantum mechanics around HERE, Mister Schroedinger!

2.  See #1, particle boi!

3.  I need no thoughts.  Gods are pretty static, you know.

The seer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: The seerThe message reveals something about the reader.

1.  Don't come peddling you quantum mechanics around HERE, Mister Schroedinger!

2.  See #1, particle boi!

3.  I need no thoughts.  Gods are pretty static, you know.

God damn you're thick! You know that?
Eris is not JHVH... dig?
No actually you don't get that obviously, somewhere along the line you pulled out a big 'ol box wrote "religions" on the side and stored buddha next to jim jones in the attic.

Dumbass...

The Good Reverend Roger

God damn you're thick! You know that?
Eris is not JHVH... dig?
No actually you don't get that obviously, somewhere along the line you pulled out a big 'ol box wrote "religions" on the side and stored buddha next to jim jones in the attic.

Dumbass...

1.  People have told me that, but people lie, so I never put much stock in it.

2.  Says you.  Jehovah = violent God that destroys civilizations when he gets pissed (Canaan).  Eris = violent God that destroys civilizations when she gets pissed (Troy).

3.  Jim Jones:  follow me, and you won't need those possessions.  Buddha:  Follow me, and you won't need those possessions.

All Gods are bad, whether or not they intend to be...this includes myself, obviously.  Gods may WANT to be benevolent, but they always wind up losing their temper with the uppity mortals and smashing them like bugs.

renko

ya, Im disagreeing. I guess I interpreted the principia differently. The way I see it Discordians are more laid back, easy going, and good-natured. We should have sympathy and agreeability and love, those are all good qualities. you shouldnt be a complete jerkoff just so your "different" or whatever. Thats not accomplishing anything. I say if the principia has one overall message its not to be serious but to be funloving and light-hearted.  Your making us sound like assholes and eris knows there are enough assholes in the world.

Plus, if ya really wanna change things, then youve gotta have some credibility amoungst people, and you instantly lose credibility with most if you lack sympathy, agreeability or love.

Im agreeing with seer here. Although Im not as into the spiritual aspect, I agree that the world is run by religious people who follow, strict, and completely insane dogmas that they will never deviate from. The USA is one step away from a theocracy. For every kid in my school that I make question their faith, or at the very least, see that atheists arent evil immoral people, thats one more point for our side and one less for the impending theocracy.

So, in short, lighten up. Dont be a jackass just becuase you dont want to go by the laws of what society tells you is appropiate conduct. Show some goddamn empathy for other people.