News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on July 23, 2014, 05:55:45 PM
Hooligianism among UK Premier teams isn't so bad nowadays.  Practically nonexistant, really.

Anecdotal I know though, I would say it's vastly under-reported. I say that being based in the north-west and having seen the aftermath of a fair few derbies. There's something about 2 teams from the same town playing each other that just makes people want to kick the shit out of the guy two streets over.

I was stuck in traffic a few years back in the middle of Manchester during A Scotland-Russia match for something or other. I saw some interesting sights in relative safety and the carnage throughout the streets the next day was quite impressive.

I suspect all of the above is allowed and ignored much more than previously due to clubs now kicking in for security/policing costs in some areas. Probably makes coppers less inclined to tell their journo mates about the crazy hooligans they dealt with earlier. Overtime pay can go a long way to getting someone to KYFMS. That said, it is better than times of old. Bringing your own tools to the match is now frowned upon rather than compulsory.

And good stuff there too Roger. Nice to hear some good news here.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Please keep in mind that this match is in the USA, and neither team is Irish.  Also note that tickets are apparently still available, and Fenway only seats about 37,500 people.  And I think some of the seats are blocked off.

So.  A country and a city that doesn't give a shit about "soccer" 3.9 out of 4 years, and no faux-national pride teams playing.  On a Wednesday.  In July.

minuspace

Maybe I was being a little dramatic in my previous and perhaps anachronistic concerns re: ultras.  Therefore, I would suggest stocking up on some flares.  Red ones should be easy to find, just get a couple at any auto-zone- not more than two as they might get suspicious.  The yellow flares...  I don't know where to get those...  Still - have fun! :lulz:

LMNO

So, for those of you looking to synergize your core competencies while leveraging mission critical turnkey solutions to do a solve, Weird Al has the song for you.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 23, 2014, 07:19:33 PM
So, for those of you looking to synergize your core competencies while leveraging mission critical turnkey solutions to do a solve, Weird Al has the song for you.
*twitch*  :horrormirth:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Raz Tech

ALL THAT SYNERGY! <3

Also it legitimately sounds like a Crosby, Stills and Nash song.  Partly because of the harmony singing, and partly because the lyrics only kinda make sense.

LMNO

Suu

Quote from: Raz Tech on July 23, 2014, 07:37:39 PM

ALL THAT SYNERGY! <3

Also it legitimately sounds like a Crosby, Stills and Nash song.  Partly because of the harmony singing, and partly because the lyrics only kinda make sense.

SO MUCH SYNERGY, VIS-A-VIS, WITH PROVEN METHODOLOGY.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 23, 2014, 06:02:23 PM
Well, Ian made corporal, a little later than he'd hoped, but still way ahead of schedule.   :)

That is fantastic! :D Congrats, Ian!
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Suu

We're packed. I managed to cut all of the work I still have to do and got my sewing machine ready for travel so I can finish everything.

Tomorrow is going to suck so, very, very hard.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

So, the match was...

It was shite.  Entirely B-team, so much so that they rubbed it in our faces when the stars walked out to midfield during halftime.  It was a meaningless friendly, so there was nothing at stake, and it was essentially a scrimmage.  None of the fans knew the chants or songs (for fuck's sake, it was on a goddamn Pink Floyd album, and you still don't know it?), and there wasn't even a hint of violence. 

On the other hand, there was plenty of beer, and Roma's winning goal went directly through Liverpool's legs in a classic "what the WHAT?" moment. 

Basically, it was the entire reason soccer hasn't really caught on in the US, in that if the players don't care, neither will the crowd.  At least the tickets were cheap.

Junkenstein

Well I warned you it would be crap. I'm man enough to admit I got the particular kind of crap wrong.

Despite my disdain of orgainsed sport in general, credit where its due: Some football chants are fucking hilarious. Overheard on a train, about 50 guys in perfect harmony to "Candyman", staggered as well though that's probably due to a few being slower/drunk:

Who can rob your houses?
Violate your gran?
Buy cocaine from the Ice-cream man?
The scouser man can!
Oh the scouser man can because he shoots up full of smack
before he's shanking yoooou

There was more but frankly I was pissing myself with laughter and can't remember it for the life of me.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 24, 2014, 12:49:33 PM
So, the match was...

It was shite.  Entirely B-team, so much so that they rubbed it in our faces when the stars walked out to midfield during halftime.  It was a meaningless friendly, so there was nothing at stake, and it was essentially a scrimmage.  None of the fans knew the chants or songs (for fuck's sake, it was on a goddamn Pink Floyd album, and you still don't know it?), and there wasn't even a hint of violence. 

On the other hand, there was plenty of beer, and Roma's winning goal went directly through Liverpool's legs in a classic "what the WHAT?" moment. 

Basically, it was the entire reason soccer hasn't really caught on in the US, in that if the players don't care, neither will the crowd.  At least the tickets were cheap.

Lame.

At least when the NFL makes half assed attempts to break into Britain, they send Tom fucking Brady over there to draw in the crowds.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 23, 2014, 11:30:48 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 23, 2014, 06:02:23 PM
Well, Ian made corporal, a little later than he'd hoped, but still way ahead of schedule.   :)

That is fantastic! :D Congrats, Ian!

I shall pass that along to him.  :D
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.