News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Hip Hop Help

Started by Bu🤠ns, October 08, 2015, 11:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on October 08, 2015, 11:32:21 PM
Lil Wayne and Vanilla Ice.

See, you SAY that, but I kind of LIKE Lil Wayne...I don't care what anybody thinks. 

And yeah I owned To the Extreme--just like everyother kid in my class--when i was 9.  15 million album sales...

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2015, 11:49:50 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 08, 2015, 11:03:09 PM
So hip hop has finally taken hold--Only I've been so distanced from the music i'm really not sure how to recognize "good" hip hop. 

I've always like wu-tang and mos def.  most recently I've been listening to A$AP Mob, who i really like the more ambient quality of their style (at times). I've heard Hilltop Hoods, but not enough.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Lil Jon.

I've enjoyed what was pushed to the airwaves from Lil Jon.  I'll check out his full album though...because...why not?

LMNO

You like jazzy loops, try A Tribe Called Quest.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: OREGON on October 09, 2015, 12:32:20 AM
I put fish sauce on my mac n cheese, so I may not be the best source for taste....

That said, I really enjoy Atmosphere (God Loves Ugly,The Last To Say, Pour Me Another, Gotta Lotta Walls, Mattress, Sunshine, Free or Dead, lots of them basically) , El-P (Stay Down, The Full Retard, Drones Over Brooklyn), Run The Jewels (Lie, Cheat, Steal, the whole first album), Binary Star, Gangstarr, Deltron 3030, Hail Mary Mallon.

I also second Vanilla Ice.

And, of course, ICP.

Started off with Atmosphere's God Loves Ugly album.  I like this too.  It was a nice change from the lazy jazz of Ultramagnetic...this is more, how do i say, smoother?  It makes for nice variation. I don't think I would have noticed this difference before.   I'll check out the rest soon. Thanks :)

Bu🤠ns

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: LMNO on October 09, 2015, 03:14:27 PM
You like jazzy loops, try A Tribe Called Quest.

Nearly finished with Midnight Marauders.  Ho-Lee-SHIT.  This is so far my favorite album from this thread.  IT's smooth, it's jazzy, it's really REALLY clean.

LMNO

You might also like Black Sheep, and pretty much anyone involved in the Native Tongues collective.

Bu🤠ns

Alright, tried out Run the Jewels.  This was a bit different.  They have a kind of ethereal/chill quality while a the same time also coming across some what...hard.  I like the variation in the melodies and it really translated well.  So far i haven't found something I don't like.  however comparing the recommendations in this thread to A$AP Mob, I think i'm beginning to see where ECH was coming from.

Bu🤠ns

Public Enemy is Badass!  I've heard of them but never really /heard/ them.  I can see listening to this when i'm about to go out and fuck shit up....as often as that happens :|

They're pretty good though...lots of variation.

ETA: I could listen to this track over and over: Everything - Public Enemy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer and Professor Elemental.

Also, Necro
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Bu🤠ns

I suppose one really CAN'T go wrong with steampunk chap hop--like ever. 

Necro and Mr. B added to the queue, thanks :)

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 09:14:00 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 09, 2015, 01:53:41 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 05:07:09 AM
And, of course, ICP.

This should really just be a given.
I can't...I just can't

Come on, man. Trust me, I'm a scientist.

When I was a couch tenant at a buddy's house one year, his brother thought it was a good idea to play ICP at 8 o'clock every damn morning (give or take a hangover). While he wasn't a scientist, I can personally attest to the amount of internal violence associated with repetitive, somnambulistic messages about stabbing people, face paint and STDs.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 09, 2015, 09:57:12 PM
And, of course, ICP.

I can't...I just can't

When I was a couch tenant at a buddy's house one year, his brother thought it was a good idea to play ICP at 8 o'clock every damn morning (give or take a hangover). While he wasn't a scientist, I can personally attest to the amount of internal violence associated with repetitive, somnambulistic messages about stabbing people, face paint and STDs.

I feel like he wasn't collecting data according to the proper protocol.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 11:26:39 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 09, 2015, 09:57:12 PM
And, of course, ICP.

I can't...I just can't

I feel like he wasn't collecting data according to the proper protocol.

Well if he tried to collect anything from me, I certainly would have remembered....right?